How to fix? Whenever I double click on a picture in my pic..

Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to open it
up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any of
them as a picture for my desktop..
This is what the window that pops up states.....

" THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING THIS
ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL." Then
it shows the OK button to click on.
What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???

For which filetype?

Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to open
> it
> up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any of
> them as a picture for my desktop..
> This is what the window that pops up states.....
>
> " THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING
> THIS
> ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."
> Then
> it shows the OK button to click on.
> What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???

Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software you
suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas.. Thanks
fir the help. Joe

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For which filetype?
>
> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to open
> > it
> > up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any of
> > them as a picture for my desktop..
> > This is what the window that pops up states.....
> >
> > " THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING
> > THIS
> > ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."
> > Then
> > it shows the OK button to click on.
> > What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???

>> reset to defaulyt

Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?

Try this from Start, Run:

CMD /C ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile

--

> Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software
> you
> suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas..
> Thanks
> fir the help. Joe
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> For which filetype?
>>
>> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to
>> > open
>> > it
>> > up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any
>> > of
>> > them as a picture for my desktop..
>> > This is what the window that pops up states.....
>> >
>> > " THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING
>> > THIS
>> > ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."
>> > Then
>> > it shows the OK button to click on.
>> > What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???

Thanks so much you fixed it with the code I pasted in RUN. Do you think I
will have other issues with non JPG files ??? Any other codes I can copy
and paste in the RUN line.. Thanks

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >> reset to defaulyt
>
> Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?
>
> Try this from Start, Run:
>
> CMD /C ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software
> > you
> > suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas..
> > Thanks
> > fir the help. Joe
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> For which filetype?
> >>
> >> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?

>> Do you think I will have other issues with non JPG files ???

Do you have the same problem viewing other file types?

--

> Thanks so much you fixed it with the code I pasted in RUN. Do you think
> will have other issues with non JPG files ??? Any other codes I can copy
> and paste in the RUN line.. Thanks

>> Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?
>>
>> Try this from Start, Run:
>>
>> CMD /C ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software
>> > you
>> > suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas..
>> > Thanks
>> > fir the help. Joe

Oh never mind.. I found if I open them with paint and then resave them it
somehow converts them over to JPG.. Thanks So much for fixing it.. Joe