How to fix? Whenever I double click on a picture in my pic..

Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to open it
up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any of
them as a picture for my desktop..
This is what the window that pops up states.....

" THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING THIS
ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL." Then
it shows the OK button to click on.
What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???
6 answers Last reply
More about double click picture

    For which filetype?

    Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to open
    > it
    > up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any of
    > them as a picture for my desktop..
    > This is what the window that pops up states.....
    >
    > " THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING
    > THIS
    > ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."
    > Then
    > it shows the OK button to click on.
    > What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???

    Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software you
    suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas.. Thanks
    fir the help. Joe

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > For which filetype?
    >
    > Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to open
    > > it
    > > up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any of
    > > them as a picture for my desktop..
    > > This is what the window that pops up states.....
    > >
    > > " THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING
    > > THIS
    > > ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."
    > > Then
    > > it shows the OK button to click on.
    > > What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???

    >> reset to defaulyt

    Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?

    Try this from Start, Run:

    CMD /C ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile

    --

    > Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software
    > you
    > suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas..
    > Thanks
    > fir the help. Joe
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> For which filetype?
    >>
    >> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Whenever I double click on a picture in my pics folder it refuses to
    >> > open
    >> > it
    >> > up to a bigger window that shows the pic enlarged. I also cant use any
    >> > of
    >> > them as a picture for my desktop..
    >> > This is what the window that pops up states.....
    >> >
    >> > " THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING
    >> > THIS
    >> > ACTION. CREATE A ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL."
    >> > Then
    >> > it shows the OK button to click on.
    >> > What can I do so I can view my photos like I use to???

    Thanks so much you fixed it with the code I pasted in RUN. Do you think I
    will have other issues with non JPG files ??? Any other codes I can copy
    and paste in the RUN line.. Thanks

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> reset to defaulyt
    >
    > Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?
    >
    > Try this from Start, Run:
    >
    > CMD /C ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software
    > > you
    > > suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas..
    > > Thanks
    > > fir the help. Joe
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> For which filetype?
    > >>
    > >> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?

    >> Do you think I will have other issues with non JPG files ???

    Do you have the same problem viewing other file types?

    --

    > Thanks so much you fixed it with the code I pasted in RUN. Do you think
    > will have other issues with non JPG files ??? Any other codes I can copy
    > and paste in the RUN line.. Thanks

    >> Did you select JPG, and click the "Repair associations" button ?
    >>
    >> Try this from Start, Run:
    >>
    >> CMD /C ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "cole098" <cole098@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for responding back.. Its for JPG files.. I tried the software
    >> > you
    >> > suggested to reset to defaulyt and it didnt work.. Any other ideas..
    >> > Thanks
    >> > fir the help. Joe

    Oh never mind.. I found if I open them with paint and then resave them it
    somehow converts them over to JPG.. Thanks So much for fixing it.. Joe

Windows XP