Sign in with
Your question

Connecting HP Laptop to 2 Extended External Displays

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 23, 2011 4:21:44 PM

Hi!

I have a HP laptop running Windows 7 and have connected it via a VGA splitter to 2 ViewSonic external displays. Right now, my 2 external displays are cloned (duplicated), while my laptop display is extended. I would ideally like to turn my laptop display off (or extend it a 3rd time) and have the 2 external displays extended to show two different things. How can I do this? I already have one of my external displays as my primary monitor.

Thanks!
Katie
April 23, 2011 4:47:00 PM

Update---hi guys, so I'm thinking this might just be my graphics card not being able to handle dual external monitors. I have a HP G72 running an Intel HD Graphics (Core i3). Think I can run one monitor via VGA and one through my HDMI port?
m
l
April 23, 2011 6:36:50 PM

I fixed this! In case you are interested: I hooked one monitor up via VGA, and one monitor up through the HDMI port on my laptop to a DVI converter. I couldn't do it through the Control Panel options, but was able to right-click on desktop and go into my Graphic Properties (which brings up actual graphic card options) and change it there. I can run both external monitors, while turning laptop monitor off.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 2:30:56 PM

ktdv1 said:
I fixed this! In case you are interested: I hooked one monitor up via VGA, and one monitor up through the HDMI port on my laptop to a DVI converter. I couldn't do it through the Control Panel options, but was able to right-click on desktop and go into my Graphic Properties (which brings up actual graphic card options) and change it there. I can run both external monitors, while turning laptop monitor off.

Can you run all three? And move them in any order you'd like. I have 2 external monitors and a want to run both of them with the laptop in the middle so I have 3 displays. The are both VGA monitors so i have to cut the VGA cord to let the HDMI converter slide in. HP says it won't work but another guy in youtube cut his to fit but never said if it worked or not.
m
l
March 3, 2012 5:28:20 AM

Hi I have a HP Envy 17" and have connected a HDMI and a VGA monitor.
I would like to have the Laptop in the middle and extend the display on the 2 others.
In Windows 7 and 8 consumer preview it does not allow this, but with Ubuntu 11.10 I could make it Work as I wanted.
The hardware does therefore support it. Why does Windows not? It is really nice to able to multitask with more displays in the office. I can program on the Laptop display, test on the one monitor and use the other for emails etc.
m
l
!