TECH: Bally -35 board with wrong ROMS?

Last response: in Video Games
August 15, 2005 6:32:40 PM

Can you put a -35 MPU board in the wrong game and test it without
problems/damage?

I just received a Bally -35 board from eBay that is listed as working.
It was a Cybernaut and has the 2716 in U2 and the 9332 in U6. I want to
put this board in an Elektra, and I've burned a pair of 2732's with the
correct Elektra ROM images. I know that I need to change the jumpers
for 2732's before putting the ROMS in and testing it.

To verify that the board is indeed working before starting to re-jumper
it for 2732's, I want to hook it up in my Elektra and power it up. Is
that okay to do? Do I need to hook up ALL of the connectors? I know I
can bench power it with +12 and +5 to test, but it would be even easier
to pop it into the game.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Mark.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:32:41 PM

Mark Teskey wrote:
> Can you put a -35 MPU board in the wrong game and test it without
> problems/damage?

yes, in most cases. Just install the two left connectors on the MPU and
it should boot. If your game required any trough switches to be made
it will not complete the test unless you fool it.

> I just received a Bally -35 board from eBay that is listed as working.
> It was a Cybernaut and has the 2716 in U2 and the 9332 in U6. I want to
> put this board in an Elektra, and I've burned a pair of 2732's with the
> correct Elektra ROM images. I know that I need to change the jumpers
> for 2732's before putting the ROMS in and testing it.

I don't remember Cybernaut U2 as a 2716. I thought the program was
larger. Interesting. I'll have to look a that again.

> To verify that the board is indeed working before starting to re-jumper
> it for 2732's, I want to hook it up in my Elektra and power it up. Is
> that okay to do? Do I need to hook up ALL of the connectors? I know I
> can bench power it with +12 and +5 to test, but it would be even easier
> to pop it into the game.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mark.

I think I noticed that auction. Not an original board with this game.
I got both of my Cybernauts, (when they arrived), with 6802 boards.
(Sounds like someone wanted the one from this game for their
collection).

Mario
Pinthetic
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:32:41 PM

Mark it would be way easier to bench test it on the bench. But if you
insist on putting it in the machine. I dont see why it wouldnt work. It
should power up. But all the switches and solenoids wont read
correctly. For the most part the game should work. But it will act as
tho it is drunk. I dont recall if Cybernaut is a 7 digit game. Or hell
I dont know if Elektra is either. But if stick a -35 with a game rom
that plays 6 digits into a game with 7 digit displays. the display will
be all garbled. So dont let that throw you.

The only thing you never ever want to do, is power up a -133 board in a
-35 machine. It will be toast city :)
August 15, 2005 6:32:41 PM

Yes. Leave the two right side connectors on the MPU
disconnected, and you can check it for "boot".

You may have strange display behaviour if both games
don't have the same number of digits, (6 0r 7), but
it won't harm anything.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8

Mark Teskey wrote:

> Can you put a -35 MPU board in the wrong game and test it without
> problems/damage?
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:32:41 PM

Leaving the right side connectors off won't make much difference, they
are the cabinet and playfield switch drives. Hook it up all the way,
it might even respond to the credit button.

K2
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:59:37 PM

Actually - you're right. It's a 2532, not a 2716. Doh.

And, yes - upon further review, it would be easier to hook up and bench
test off of a power supply. So, I think I'll try that route.

It is the one that was just on eBay last week. From what I can tell -
Cybernaut came in both the -35 and the 6802 varieties - and MOST were -
35s. I do agree, this is probably not the original board based on the
fact that somebody in the past replaced the U1 socket - and it's no-
pop'ed in this game.

Thanks for all of your responses..

-Mark.

In article <1124135113.989905.255690@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Pinthetic@gmail.com says...

> Mark Teskey wrote:
> > Can you put a -35 MPU board in the wrong game and test it without
> > problems/damage?
>
> yes, in most cases. Just install the two left connectors on the MPU and
> it should boot. If your game required any trough switches to be made
> it will not complete the test unless you fool it.
> >
> > I just received a Bally -35 board from eBay that is listed as working.
> > It was a Cybernaut and has the 2716 in U2 and the 9332 in U6. I want to
> > put this board in an Elektra, and I've burned a pair of 2732's with the
> > correct Elektra ROM images. I know that I need to change the jumpers
> > for 2732's before putting the ROMS in and testing it.
>

> I don't remember Cybernaut U2 as a 2716. I thought the program was
> larger. Interesting. I'll have to look a that again.
> >
> > To verify that the board is indeed working before starting to re-jumper
> > it for 2732's, I want to hook it up in my Elektra and power it up. Is
> > that okay to do? Do I need to hook up ALL of the connectors? I know I
> > can bench power it with +12 and +5 to test, but it would be even easier
> > to pop it into the game.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Mark.
>
> I think I noticed that auction. Not an original board with this game.
> I got both of my Cybernauts, (when they arrived), with 6802 boards.
> (Sounds like someone wanted the one from this game for their
> collection).
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:27:04 PM

In most gases the game WILL even play though it does not "map" to switches
correctly. It will likely score when things are hit, but registering a ball
in the outhole, kicking the ball out, and even tilts are iffy. I have on
more than one occasion put a board with wrong ROMS in another game to test,
and during play the ball will hit something and cause it to tilt. This is an
example of "wrong mapping" at its best.

Chris

<kenny_iik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Leaving the right side connectors off won't make much difference, they
> are the cabinet and playfield switch drives. Hook it up all the way,
> it might even respond to the credit button.
>
> K2

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:05:04 AM

It will make a difference if it is 'mapped'
differently, and can cause a coil or two
to fire repeatedly.

A slight potential for damage does exist.

Most will do fine as you say, but I leave them
off as a precaution.

--
Fred
TX

<kenny_iik@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1124136115.719026.82900@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Leaving the right side connectors off won't make much difference, they
> are the cabinet and playfield switch drives. Hook it up all the way,
> it might even respond to the credit button.
>
> K2

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:17:59 PM

As a follow-up..

Life is good - and so is my Elektra! I bench-tested the board by
applying +5 to TP5, +12 to TP4, and GND to TP2 - and the board gave me
six blinks! (no +49 since I was bench testing it).

After replacing the Cybernaut ROMS with the Elektra ROMS and changing
the jumpers for 2732's - it fired up perfectly again in bench test mode.

I put it in the machine - and it fired right up!

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

I think all this machine will take is a good shop job, a few lamp
sockets, and one broken rollover switch for the shooter trough.

BTW: Where to buy one of those? PBR?

Thanks for your advice!
-Mark.

In article <MPG.1d6aa9be59b221399896ce@offnetwork-news.visi.com>,
mark.teskey@visi.com says...
> Can you put a -35 MPU board in the wrong game and test it without
> problems/damage?
>
> I just received a Bally -35 board from eBay that is listed as working.
> It was a Cybernaut and has the 2716 in U2 and the 9332 in U6. I want to
> put this board in an Elektra, and I've burned a pair of 2732's with the
> correct Elektra ROM images. I know that I need to change the jumpers
> for 2732's before putting the ROMS in and testing it.
>
> To verify that the board is indeed working before starting to re-jumper
> it for 2732's, I want to hook it up in my Elektra and power it up. Is
> that okay to do? Do I need to hook up ALL of the connectors? I know I
> can bench power it with +12 and +5 to test, but it would be even easier
> to pop it into the game.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mark.

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:57:02 PM

We were taught that by leaving the matrix and solenoid control
disconnected during power up, you know immeadiately that any coil that
is on is a fault of the driver board, and not the mpu. The other
reason is Bally gave us matrix tools, a simple board wth a dial and
some pb's that we would install on the mpu prior to power up. (This
board was copied by a third party test fixture maker and sold with that
unit, back in the 80's). It took the place of the matrix connector. So
by habit we would leave that connector off and install the matrix
simulator board.

This is the only advantage. An experienced technician doesn't need
this but when talking to a newbie it is a good idea to leave the two
right side connectors off.

Mario
Pinthetic
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:42:15 PM

I've had a few do wacky things when I did, but I don't
recall the exact game/combo. Seems it was Xenon or
something. Anyway, I just always advise leaving them
off based on my experience(s). :)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
================================
Chris Munson wrote:
> Fred:
>
> FWIW, I have NEVER had this problem. I gues the rule is, if you put in a
> different MPU, and turning it on causes a coil to lock or fire, don't do it.
>
> Chris
> "Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote in message
> news:D drpfd01j3o@enews2.newsguy.com...
> > It will make a difference if it is 'mapped'
> > differently, and can cause a coil or two
> > to fire repeatedly.
> >
> > A slight potential for damage does exist.
> >
> > Most will do fine as you say, but I leave them
> > off as a precaution.
> >
> > --
> > Fred
Anonymous