Difficulty accessing Recovery console XP-Pro

Hello,

I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
normally.
So far I have tried the following:

Trying a blank password
Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
ERD console.
Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))

Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?

Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
It gets through POST ok.
It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.

If all else fails I will do a repair install.

Thanks,
Rob
9 answers Last reply
More about difficulty accessing recovery console

    Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
    disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
    operating system

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:47:03 +1000, RobW <none@invalid.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
    >It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
    >Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
    >The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
    >know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
    >normally.
    >So far I have tried the following:
    >
    >Trying a blank password
    >Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
    >ERD console.
    >Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))
    >
    >Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?
    >
    >Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
    >It gets through POST ok.
    >It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
    >screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.
    >
    >If all else fails I will do a repair install.

    I don't know about recovering the password for the admin account but if you
    run chkdsk /r from a command prompt it should do the full check the next
    time you reboot. It should ask you if you want to schedule a chkdsk...just
    type Y and hit enter.

    --
    Scott

    RobW wrote:
    > The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
    > know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
    > normally.

    Have you tried logging into that privileged acct and setting the
    Administrator account's password from there?

    Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users
    and Groups > Users > right click on Administrator > Set Password

    On 15 Sep 2005 23:20:47 -0700, "GreenieLeBrun"
    <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and download the boot
    >disk, this will enable you to reset any system password on an NT class
    >operating system

    Thanks, tried it but I still can't log in to recovery console

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:47:14 -0400, Scott <scottm9000@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:47:03 +1000, RobW <none@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I have a machine running XP-Pro SP2.
    >>It's not booting to the OS properly & I want run chkdsk from the
    >>Recovery Console from an XP disk (slipstreamed SP2).
    >>The problem is it's asking for "the" Administrator password. I don't
    >>know it because I have another a/c with admin rights that I use
    >>normally.
    >>So far I have tried the following:
    >>
    >>Trying a blank password
    >>Changing pw manually with (net user administrator "password") from a
    >>ERD console.
    >>Astrumi 0.9.2 nt_pass util (including setting a blank password (*))
    >>
    >>Should I run a chkdsk command from a NT boot disk & if so which one?
    >>
    >>Extra info on what the PC is doing (or not doing).
    >>It gets through POST ok.
    >>It gets 30% though the "starting windows" (white bar on bottom of
    >>screen) and just hangs there in the same spot every time.
    >>
    >>If all else fails I will do a repair install.
    >>
    >I don't know about recovering the password for the admin account but if you
    >run chkdsk /r from a command prompt it should do the full check the next
    >time you reboot. It should ask you if you want to schedule a chkdsk...just
    >type Y and hit enter.

    Plz re-read original post. You will see that I can't boot to windows.
    The only command shell I can get is using a NT Boot CD.
    Thanks.

    Plz re-read original post. You will see that I can't boot to windows.
    > The only command shell I can get is using a NT Boot CD.
    > Thanks.

    Hi there, try this site out
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsDosProfessional.html you will find
    a chkdsk which will run from a floppy & shouldn't ask for any password...

    HTH

    RobW wrote:
    > Plz re-read original post. You will see that I can't boot to windows.
    > The only command shell I can get is using a NT Boot CD.
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for clarifying.

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:23:16 -0700, Z <Z@no.spam> wrote:

    >Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users
    >and Groups > Users > right click on Administrator > Set Password

    The computer does not boot.
    Thanks

    Have a look at the following:-

    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/? id=822705

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Recovery Console Windows XP