network printer often disconnects

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,
I have a HP PSC Photosmart, installed as a network printer.
There is only one computer accessing it. The computer (XP Home) and the
printer are connected via a router/gateway.

Quite often the printer "disconnects": when I try to print I receive the
message:

"The Print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This is caused by
your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being
connected to a VPN, which will block your access to your local network."

I have no VPN, the printer is on, and the cable is connected.

On my router I see that the LED for the ethernet connection to my printer is
off, although the cable is connected and the printer is on. It works again
after some reinstall and reboot cycles. Until the next time.

Please please suggest how I can fix this annoyance.

USB port powering off perhaps? Check the USB hub Power Management in
Device Manager.