Sign in with
Your question

****27 - 28 inch MONITORS****

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 24, 2011 11:09:48 PM

Hey guys,

I would like to ask you guys what monitor you would prefer for gaming. I want a fast response time, super bright and colorful large monitor. What would you guys chose out of the following.

I have been reading reviews on the massive 27.5 inch Hanns·G HZ281HPB Widescreen LCD Monitor. I trust benchmarkreviews.com as they say this is a great monitor for gaming at only $299. Only concern I have is the low 15,000:1 contrast, will it be a dull dim experience? And how nice is it to have 1920x1200 over the standard 27 inch displays with 1920x1080? Does that make that big a difference? And this one is LCD with no LED backlight mmm.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

NEXT...

HP 2711x 27" LED Monitor. This 27 inch LED monitor is super bright and clear. I have actually seen this one on the floor and it was beautiful. It is running around 3 million:1 contrast and has a 5ms response time. Is 5 ms still low enough for no ghosting when gaming???? This display is a true 27 inches unlike the HANNS-G at 27.5. But this is LED and seems it would be great for gaming and graphic design. What are your thoughts on this one guys? Price tag is around $359

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_deta...

NEXT...

ViewSonic’s VX2739WM 27-Inch 1920x1080 Full HD Monitor. This seems to be the worlds first LED 27inch 1ms response time monitor. I have never owned a Viewsonic but i have always heard great things. This monitor could be a great choice at only $299 on AMAZON.COM. The 1ms response time is attractive and the monitor looks beautiful. No info on amazon on the contrast ratio or detailed specs.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic%252019s-VX2739WM-27-Inc...

Anyways, I was wanting to purchase one of these three monitors and was hoping I could ask the community to give some thoughts on what the best choice would be for gaming and graphic design. Thanks for the help!

More about : inch monitors

a b 4 Gaming
a c 77 C Monitor
April 24, 2011 11:41:01 PM

The 15,000:1 on the Hanns-G and the 3 million:1 on the HP is the dynamic contrast, which is not a realistic comparison. See if you can find reviews that measure the static contrast of these monitors. Response time is also deceptive, because the response time usually changes depending on the starting and ending luminance, and different manufacturers use different formulas for taking this matrix of response times and reducing it to a single number. Thus, they're not directly comparable. Also, for that ViewSonic, when it's in "Ultra Fast" mode to achieve that 1ms response time, it leads to severe inverse ghosting - see the comparison of the response time modes in this review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vx2739wm....; However, even with monitors with quoted response times of 12ms in the specifications, it can be difficult to notice the ghosting. Have you looked for reviews that measure the input lag on these monitors?

I'm not sure if Hanns-G is considered a good brand, but any of them should suffice for gaming. For graphic design, however, I've gotten the impression that VA and IPS panels are preferred, at smaller sizes if necessary to fit your budget. Also, the LED backlight on the HP 2711x and ViewSonic VX2739WM will most likely be a "white" LED, which is really a blue LED with a yellow phosphor, which has a blue tinge that reduces its desirability for graphic design.
m
l
April 25, 2011 12:13:11 AM

Mostly I will be desiring one of these monitors for gaming. Is the HANNS-G 1920x1200 better looking than the 1920x1080? Whats the difference in graphics I will see from gaming? The HP has been reviewed as the #2 monitor right under the 27inch LED APPLE monitor, would you say the HP is safe to go with? Also I hear alot of people complain about hdmi from the video card to hdmi getting some weird picture. I just purchased a gtx470 video card so I could run hdmi to hdmi. Any thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 77 C Monitor
April 25, 2011 12:45:47 AM

Where are you seeing this HP as #2 below the 27inch LED? Are you only looking at the led-backlit 27-inch monitors, or are you also looking at ratings for CCFL-backlit monitors in the same size range? HP is a well-known brand, so it probably isn't really bad per se, but it might not be the best model you can afford (speaking of which, I notice you haven't filled in the template (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/59847-3-template-moni...))

For gaming, 1920x1080 will give you a slightly wider angle for the field of view compared with 1920x1200.

As far as HDMI connection, you might need to adjust the overscan/underscan settings (for an ATI card, it's in the Catalyst Control Center; for a gtx470, I guess it would be somewhere in the nVidia Control Panel) to make sure the graphics are really being rendered at native resolution.
m
l
April 25, 2011 1:32:13 AM

what would be the best 27 inch monitor for gaming in your opinion?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 77 C Monitor
April 25, 2011 2:41:49 AM

If you can afford it, the Dell U2711. Less expensive monitors of that size are more difficult to decide between.
m
l
!