Athlon xp 2600+ barton core
corsair 512mb ram cl2.5
gigabyte 7n400L mobo
asus ati 9600xt
maxtor 80gb hdd ata133
antec sx1040II with 400watt psu
toshiba dvd
I installed the mobo and everything else on it and press
the power button. While the system begins, all fan(but the one on the graphic card) work, memory led working, and i get a short beep which according to mobo guide means system boots succesfully, there is no display on the monitor.
I tried using my old graphics card on a pci slot, but still i got no display. Then i took the 9600xt to another system and everything was running smoothly... My monitor is working alright still on my old pc.
What could be wrong? I am suspecting cpu or agp slot damaged. What do you guys think?
Please help if you can:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a short, a reversed IDE cable, or the square ATX12v plug not being connected to the motherboard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Mr_Nuke

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
Reversed IDE, I don't see how it may be reversed. The square connector is for powering the CPU, so how can it boot with the CPU unpowered? He said it beeps, so the CPU has to be active. I still agree to this posibility. The still fan on the video means the card is not being powered. So he should check this, but how can an IDE be revesed? :smile:

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
Allright mate, use some common sense and alien logic here:
1) you say your monitor works alright
2) there is no display on the monitor

Well then, just go and buy a display, and put it on your monitor, problem solved !

"I tried using my old graphics card on a pci slot, but still i got no display."

Of course not, are you braindead or what ? Whats that got to do with anything, might as well put a harddisk on the printer and expect to get a 3D sound card.

Next !

---------------------------------------------------
I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
"but how can an IDE be revesed"

Takes a lot of practice, but there are several ways:

1) unscrew the harddisk, but do not disconnect it, turn in 180° around its lateral axis, reinsert in drive cage, et voila: a reversed IDE with a twist
2) you can try doing the same over the horizontal axis, but you'll need longer cables.
3) You can do both to have a double reversed IDE
4) just type EDI and you have reversed IDE
5) any combination of the above

---------------------------------------------------
I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of older IDE cables weren't keyed. People still use them on CD-ROM drives occasionally. If you have them flipped with Pin1 on the wrong side, often your computer won't boot, or will start to boot but fail to POST. I'm not so sure on the 12v connector, I had a system power up and not beep.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>