Ok got it fixed. first let me say I have a valid product key. Best 200 bucks I ever spent on software was win2k.
I tried the repair it deleted some files (not very many) and reinstalled some system files. I booted and the problem was still there.
So I went with reintall. on reinstall it detected win2k and asked again if I'd like to repair. I said yes. This time it was a major repair kind of like upgrading to a newer OS. This seems to have worked add remove now works and most of my settings seem intact.
I'm happy and thanks for the help.
If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.