Flat panel displays: Built in speakers or not?

If one is in market for a LCD flat display..... is it a good idea to
get one that does NOT have built in speakers? Or is getting built in
speakers a desirable thing?

What would you do?

My gut feeling is to NOt get built in speakers and use external
speakers..... just to reduce murphys law a bit

Also....any advice on a good "value" in 17 LCD displays?

The cheapest set of speakers will sound better than almost any built-in
speakers. They're a handy feature, but don't pay extra for them.

Rocky

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> If one is in market for a LCD flat display..... is it a good idea to
> get one that does NOT have built in speakers? Or is getting built in
> speakers a desirable thing?
>
> What would you do?
>
> My gut feeling is to NOt get built in speakers and use external
> speakers..... just to reduce murphys law a bit
>
> Also....any advice on a good "value" in 17 LCD displays?

>The cheapest set of speakers will sound better than almost any built-in
>speakers. They're a handy feature, but don't pay extra for them.
>
>Rocky

Thanks Rocky.

Dumb question..... but can you even GET an LCD panel that does NOT
have speakers built in?

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> If one is in market for a LCD flat display..... is it a good idea to
> get one that does NOT have built in speakers? Or is getting built in
> speakers a desirable thing?
>
> What would you do?
>
> My gut feeling is to NOt get built in speakers and use external
> speakers..... just to reduce murphys law a bit
>
> Also....any advice on a good "value" in 17 LCD displays?

Have a look at the SoundBar, available with some of Dell's LCDs.

Larry

>Have a look at the SoundBar, available with some of Dell's LCDs.
>
>Larry

Sounds like a good idea..... i.e removable LCD speakers. Will chk it
out. Thanks!

Tell me.... is it available only for Dell LCD panels tho?

I may not be buying a Dell panel.

I haven't looked at LCD monitors since I bought one for myself, last year.
At that time, most LCDs did not have built-in speakers.

Considering how cheap it is to add speakers to the bezel, and how this might
be handy if you're on the move and don't want to upset your carefully laid
out surround speakers, I wouldn't worry about it. Built-ins don't affect the
image quality.

> >The cheapest set of speakers will sound better than almost any built-in
> >speakers. They're a handy feature, but don't pay extra for them.
> >
> >Rocky
>
> Thanks Rocky.
>

> Dumb question..... but can you even GET an LCD panel that does NOT
> have speakers built in?

>Considering how cheap it is to add speakers to the bezel, and how this might
>be handy if you're on the move and don't want to upset your carefully laid
>out surround speakers, I wouldn't worry about it. Built-ins don't affect the
>image quality.

Ahh..... I see what you mean now. Go ahead and get built ins..... but
don't count on them for good sound huh?

>For offices I use
>LCDs *with* built-in speakers -- the tradeoff in sound quality is
>worth not having to deal with all the extra cords and external speaker
>boxes that always seem to fall off the desk when you're pushing paper
>around.

I see your point...

But doesn't there exist some after market speaker bar system....some
kind of all in one device..... that is separate form the monitor but
yet reduces cable clutter?

TRENDING THREADS