Serial port vs USB port

Gene_20

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I recently purchased a program that requires that a GPS antenna be hooked to the computer. The program indicates the hook up will be a serial commection. My netbook only has USB and the antenna is USB.

I thought the netbook would accept the signal, it does work with Street Atlas, so the new program would work. I have triedCom 1,2,3,4 and several other listed in the program.

I deleated Street Atlas program to see if it was interferring with the GPS connection to the new program.

Any thoughts.

Gene Haines

Gene_20

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Thw program is APIC Pro. It is a aircraft flight data program that puts aircraft maps and airport proceedures maps for instrument approaches on the screen. The GPS should put a icon on the screen that tracks the flight path. The program that works just fine is street atlas auto maping program.

Something is blocking the GPS from working on the APIC program. I have removed the Street Atlas program from the computer but that did not solve the problem.

The APIC program has a connections section that offers Serial ports 1,2,3,4 along with many others such as 11,12,etc and 2,21,22,23 etc. I have tried all of them and the program will not conect to the GPS antenna. APIC sales says the antenna I am using is one that is used and should work properly. They suggest that Street Atlas is not
releasing the antenna from Street Atlas so that their program can connect. Seems like APIC has a bad program that will not connect to the GPS. There is one other point, APIC talks about serial ports. My comoputer does not have a serial port. My computer guys say the serial request should go through the USB connection.

S0ory this is so long. Maybe you have an idea.

Gene Haines

Programs that connect to virtual serial ports via USB tend to have issues. I actually dealt with this same type of issues where I work for USB connected diabetes devices, some of them conflicted with the ports and after a certain program was used, the rest would not. We had to setup 2 different computers to use, one only ran the program with the issue.

Are there different device drivers you can try? There are also generic USB to serial drivers that are available out there.

Gene_20

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011