Reset XP screen resolution without logging in

Can anyone tell me where the display resolution is stored?

My monitor died, backup monitor can't support resolution in my XP install.

I have (some) access to the drives through this system, so if it's a case of
changing an ini line or something, I could do that and be working again, and
won't have to wait for warranty replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Boot to Safe Mode (Enable VGA), this uses the defined driver but
at a minimum resolution & refresh rate. Once XP is running you can
setup your preferred viewing params.

"Mark Walton" <wizard@marnok.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me where the display resolution is stored?
>
> My monitor died, backup monitor can't support resolution in my XP install.
>
> I have (some) access to the drives through this system, so if it's a case
> of
> changing an ini line or something, I could do that and be working again,
> and
> won't have to wait for warranty replacement.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Thanks, I'll try that. (though, when I tried safe mode earlier, it didn't
complete the boot...)