Garmin IQue 3600 clock time zone problem

December 6, 2004 1:39:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

a Garmin IQue 3600 GPS palm pda cant seem to keep its clock set to the
correct time zone, the palm os sys prefs show the correct time and time
zone, and daylight savings on, but whenever I drive with the GPS on, I
see the time gets advanced by exactly one hour for some reason, eg
wrong time zone or wrong daylight savings mode.

I reset the time back to the correct value, and it gets advanced again
the next time I drive with GPS.

otherwise, the Garmin 3600 is pretty amazing, and the GPS routing and
point-of-interest lookup works quite well. would still recommend as a
mobile GPS trip router and POI map lookup. bought from amazon.com,
seemed to have a very competitive price.

---------------

for the record, my Garmin 3600 quirks to-date, after 1 week: 3 resets
so far in one week, suspect one due to static discharge at bottom
connector, one due to running old palm game, one due to removing unit
from cradle and poking buttons while in the middle of routing. Palm
desktop install on top of old Tungsten-E desktop did not succeed at
first. Ended up having to deinstall old Palm desktop completely.
Garmin Palm desktop still shows invalid old icons for Tungsten Notepad
and Photos, which will crash the desktop if clicked.
Cannot get rid of the icons. Next plan is to install Garmin Palm
desktop on totally virgin PC and see what happens.
December 7, 2004 1:27:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

6 Dec 2004 10:39:13 -0800, perfb@yahoo.com;
<1102358353.354090.163590@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>;
<sci.geo.satellite-nav>:

>whenever I drive with the GPS on, I
>see the time gets advanced by exactly one hour for some reason, eg
>wrong time zone or wrong daylight savings mode.

Strange. I have never had that happen here, we're one hour before UTC (2
hours in summer) and the clock is not changing when the GPS is activated
for a driving trip.
I'll have to manually set daylight saving on or off on the appropriate
day.
However, when using the GPS, the time is displayed in 12 hour format
with AM and PM (in the navigation part, like ETA), which is a nuisance
especially in the first hour of the new day which isn't starting with 0
hours.

>Ended up having to deinstall old Palm desktop completely.
>Garmin Palm desktop still shows invalid old icons for Tungsten Notepad
>and Photos, which will crash the desktop if clicked.
You might want to uninstall, and then search the registry for anything
with Palm or Tungsten, which you can delete.
If you do, take a backup of the registry first.
If you are unsure how to deal with the registry, ask a friend in the
neighbourhood :-)

--
/jan
news postings should be followed up in news