Is this possible?!

Fuzz009

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2001
I am sure you are all sick of the Linux N00BS! So I will try to be quick. =D

I just downloaded Red Hat 8.0 to give it whirl. (I will be required to set up a Linux server in my Networking class-SO I must get familiar with it!)

Anyhow. Back when Red Hat 7.2 was real big, and also mandrake 8.0, I had a triple boot going on. I was running win98, xp, and red hat all at the same time.

I'm a little wierd but it always bothered me to have the boot screen for linux to come up to select if I wanted to boot linux or hit other and then go to windows then select what ms OS i wanted to install.

Well, I have two drives already in my rig for a total of 100 gigs. Both formated NTFS just running XP at the moment. I have another drive. Slow and small. 5400rpm 6.4 giger. Can i put in a controller card to add the third HD, install red hat on that drive, and boot only by a 3 1/2 disk? I do not want to be prompted with a boot screen. I do not want to have my boot.ini file have a linux choice. I hate restarting computer to install something and walk away to get something to drink and find it was booted into Linux.

I think I remember installing RH and it asked me if I wanted to do just that? I think?!

Thanks for all of your replies!

I turn to you guys because this is by far the best forum around!

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can set the default boot option in LILO to be windows you know... That way if you restart and walk away, you'll find your computer running windows when you get back.

The floppy option is way too slow.

With lilo installed, you'll still get the boot up screen, but a quick <enter> will take care of that right away.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah.

Hell, you could run a septuple boot with Lilo. And put a 2 second (or one second if you're fast on the draw) timeout , default to windowz.

Or another option is to put that 6.4gig on a secondary channel, and lock out the channel. Then when you want to boot Linux, just turn that drive to boot in the bios.

That's the beauty of Linux. There's like, at least 4 different wayz to go.

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

Fuzz009

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2001
Thanks!

Sorry for the very long reply and thank you...

I am just now about to attempt this.

Now if I can fully understand the skel directory

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
hey silverpig,

been reading a lot of your posts and you're definitely a convincing SOB. Ok.

Like I said in my POST (SuSe and Microsoft) I'm running the two OSs parallel with LINUX booting through a diskette. How do I get the LILO into the MBR?

<font color=blue> You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!</font color=blue>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The easiest way is to boot from the linux cd, go through the install process as an upgrade (that way nothing will really be done), and then one of the last steps will be to choose your bootloader. That'll write either lilo or grub to the mbr.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this way comes to my mind as the easiest.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.