Replaced RAM and now Win7 is "Not genuine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwathke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
So I know I have an OEM version of windows 7 but I thought I was able to change the RAM. Turns out Im not. I upgraded the RAM in my PC from 6GB to 8GB and now I am getting a pop-up saying Windows is not genuine. Now I was under the impression that it would "lock" the PC after 3 days. This pop up dosent say anything like that it just says I need to re-validate the CD Key or I cant get updates. So my question is will I be fine leaving it this way or will I NEED to validate the license to use the PC eventually? Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention when I try to re-activate I get error 0xC004F063. If I can fix that and re-activate Win7 I would be happy to hear how!

Solution
I just added 4 new sticks of RAM going from 4 gig of Mushkin to 16 gig of G.Skill Ripjaws with a Win7 Ultimate OS and had NO Windows issues.

Yeah, call them and let them reactivate. IF, for some reason you can't get them to reactivate you (like your Product Key being banned or something, you can follow my suggestion as a back-up plan so you aren't SOL)

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Start -> type "cmd" right-click -> "Run as Administrator"

then type "slmgr /help"

It'll display several boxes with how to reactivate or add your Product Key manually yourself. Worse case, you can type "slmgr /rearm" and it'll do a 30 day trial period so you can at least update (or whatever until you get it figured out). Try and reactivate with a known GOOD code that should be attached to your computer somewhere.

If it continues to reject your code; If you have something like ERD or a boot up from disk OS, go into the WIN7 Registry ( usually C: ) from the disk and delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM-> WPA (delete the entire WPA folder registry ONLY!!)

Quit the boot-up disk, start your WIN7 then type:

slmgr /ipk <your default key> (should be like this: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-)

slmgr /dlv

slmgr /rearm

This will at least keep you running if your Product Key keeps getting rejected and it also resets the amount of 30 day rearms you have left in case you ran out.

bwathke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Im not getting a warning saying anything like "You have X days before you need to activate" so could I leave it for now? I plan on doing some big upgrades on the PC (Motherboard, processor etc.) and I heard most of the time if you call MS Support they will let you re-activate an OEM Win7 if your just replacing parts. Will I be fine leaving it for another month?

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I just added 4 new sticks of RAM going from 4 gig of Mushkin to 16 gig of G.Skill Ripjaws with a Win7 Ultimate OS and had NO Windows issues.

Yeah, call them and let them reactivate. IF, for some reason you can't get them to reactivate you (like your Product Key being banned or something, you can follow my suggestion as a back-up plan so you aren't SOL)

Solution

tafsinoremac

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

i agree with hart ive had this problem before and just using it invalidated never made any real problems for me

bwathke

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Alright thanks. The issue is because its an OEM version of Windows (I didnt know RAM effected it I always thought it was only the MOBO) so Ill try reactivating it later on.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Status
Not open for further replies.