Hey Mr. Pinball Australia why won't you let me on your for..

I know you guys at pinball.com read RGP, so I've got a question for
you? I went to register on pinball.com and I get the following error
using my yahoo account.

"You can not register with a freemail address eg. hotmail. Please use
your ISP address"

The only email that I've got besides my work email is a yahoo
address. My internet access is a shared wireless connection with about
5 of us on it, and the ISP doesn't give us enough email addresses for
all of us to have one. Is there anyway to let those of us in this
situation on your forums or are we just out of luck? Is there really
that much trouble caused by people using "freemail" addresses?

Thanks,

Zach
13 answers Last reply
More about pinball australia

    I'm in the same boat as Zack. I am freemail only and would like to
    participate. I promise I won't spam the group.
    Kevin

    Why not set up a domain for sharing between rgpers (your company should
    probably also do this)?

    You can get own domain name from www.yahoo.com and they have a plan for
    25 email addresses and total 2gb storage for $11.95 per month plus
    US$25 set up fees. If 25 people on the group shared costs it would
    cost about US$7-8 each per year. One person would need to administer
    it and sign the contract with yahoo. Ok, it will take some effort to
    set up and it is not free, but it will enable you to sign up for
    services that don't take freemail, give you pop and web based email and
    will cut down on the spam you all get. www.pinballgroups.org is
    available.

    In article <1124157444.534928.290210@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "DOC" <g_pooper@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I'm in the same boat as Zack. I am freemail only and would like to
    > participate. I promise I won't spam the group.
    > Kevin

    I'm sure they are not worried about you Doc.

    Maybe they could implement a system where if someone mentions rgp, they
    can check if they're a regular and put an exception in their rules. Then
    a quick google search would turn up whether they are a rgp member.

    Not knowing what system they have I'm not sure if that is possible or
    desirable.

    Cheers
    MacMan

    I had this problem a while back so I used a forwarding alias service -
    tmbg.org if that's still around (should be they send me alias updates
    every month). It's free and you don't get spam from them since it's a
    band fan site

    give me a day then try again

    Does anyone have a link to the Forums ??

    I've never had a problem e-mailing Wayne, But I'd like to check out the
    forums,,, Thanks !

    Pin-Del,

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:38:14 +1000, Zachary Thicksten
    <zthicksten@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Is there really
    > that much trouble caused by people using "freemail" addresses?

    Yes. I use a few forums that wont register a free email address - and
    also some online shops that wont sell to anyone using hotmail/yahoo etc.
    Currently a lot of places do take Gmail... perhaps because its newer but
    eventually I suspect gmail will get blacklisted also as its also a freebie
    that spammers latch onto.

    Hey Del, check out pinball.com, there will be a forum link on there. LTG :)

    "Del" <delmail333@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have a link to the Forums ??
    >
    > I've never had a problem e-mailing Wayne, But I'd like to check out the
    > forums,,, Thanks !
    >
    > Pin-Del,

    Thanks LTG) !!!

    Pin-Del, =)

    You misunderstand my suggestion. Wayne would need to do nothing under
    what I am suggesting. Wayne is likely to need to do much more by
    allowing freemail accounts onto the forum, as he will either need to
    vet and approve each freemail account or spend much more time
    moderating the forum.

    My suggestion is that somebody from rgp (not Wayne) buys a domain name
    and sets up email accounts for use by people on the group. In effect,
    they will be doing Wayne's vetting job for him.

    The spin off is that those taking up these accounts will then have an
    email account that can be used on websites that refuse freemail, and
    will cut down massively on the spam they receive.

    There is a choice here -

    - either continue to use freemail and continue to receive spam and
    unsolicited advertising, or
    - group together, pay less than US$10 a year each and get email
    accounts that can be used everywhere and does not get a load of spam
    that everybody complains about.

    Paul

    Paul

    Buying a domain name does help if the administrator (owner) of the
    domain name is responsible and makes sure it does not get abused.

    > My suggestion is that somebody from rgp (not Wayne) buys a domain name
    > and sets up email accounts for use by people on the group. In effect,
    > they will be doing Wayne's vetting job for him.

    I don't want to start a flame here, but why would any one from RGP buy a
    domain to help people who are too cheap to use a paid service? I don't
    understand.

    Why don't the people with freemail accounts get together and buy the
    domain?

    Cheers
    MacMan

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:54:05 +1000, AsiaPinball
    <pinball@lotusfinancialhk.com> wrote:

    > Why not set up a domain for sharing between rgpers (your company should
    > probably also do this)?
    >
    > You can get own domain name from www.yahoo.com and they have a plan for
    > 25 email addresses and total 2gb storage for $11.95 per month plus
    > US$25 set up fees. If 25 people on the group shared costs it would
    > cost about US$7-8 each per year. One person would need to administer
    > it and sign the contract with yahoo. Ok, it will take some effort to
    > set up and it is not free, but it will enable you to sign up for
    > services that don't take freemail, give you pop and web based email and
    > will cut down on the spam you all get. www.pinballgroups.org is
    > available.

    Please let Mr Pinball get on with his business of making pinballs and
    pinball parts. Leave the administration of emails to the ISPs. I've
    never seen an ISP that didn't give you at least one email address so if
    yours doesnt then get a new ISP. Simple as that.

Internet Service Providers Email Video Games