Value of upgrading from Windows 98 to XP

September 16, 2005 10:21:01 AM

I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I should upgrade to
XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's all?
--
BillC

More about : upgrading windows

September 16, 2005 11:57:28 AM

BillC wrote:
> I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I should upgrade to
> XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's all?

Wireless with W98? Good luck! It must be at least 98SE and even then
it's a nightmare if you want reliability.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:46:12 PM

In news:8C803A01-2918-483C-97C5-14F8E43C8773@microsoft.com,
BillC <BillC@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I
> should
> upgrade to XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's
> all?

My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
operating system should be driven by need, not just because there
is a new version available. Are you having a problem with Windows
98 that you expect XP to solve? Do you have or expect to get new
hardware or software that is supported in XP, but not in 98? Is
there some new feature in XP that you need or yearn for? Does
your job require you have skills in XP? Are you a computer
hobbyist who enjoys playing with whatever is newest?

If the answer to one or more of those questions is yes (and your
hardware is adequate for XP), then you should get XP. Otherwise
most people should stick with what they have. There is *always* a
learning curve and a potential for problems when you take a step
as big as this one, regardless of how wonderful whatever you're
contemplating moving to is. Sooner or later you'll have to
upgrade (to XP or its successor) because you'll want support for
hardware or software that you can't get in 98, but don't rush it.

I say all the above despite the fact that I'm a big XP fan. I
think it's the best and most stable of all versions of Windows.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Related resources
September 16, 2005 12:56:39 PM

Ken Blake wrote:
>>I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I
>>should
>>upgrade to XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's
>>all?

> My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
> operating system should be driven by need, not just because there
> is a new version available. Are you having a problem with Windows

There _is_ a need ... he needs to add wireless.

Have you even tried wireless under W98SE? When it works, it works poorly.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:15:40 PM

In news:UWBWe.7261$6Z3.5685@fe06.lga,
Z <Z@no.spam> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>>> I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I
>>> should
>>> upgrade to XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but
>>> that's
>>> all?
>
>> My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
>> operating system should be driven by need, not just because
>> there
>> is a new version available. Are you having a problem with
>> Windows
>
> There _is_ a need ... he needs to add wireless.
>
> Have you even tried wireless under W98SE? When it works, it
> works
> poorly.

OK, if that's the case, then it would seem that he needs to
upgrade to some newer operating system--not necessarily XP,
though.

No, I've never tried wireless under 98SE. I've never run wireless
under anything but XP, and don't know anything about support for
it under other operating systems.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:25:20 PM

Only one "good" reason that you might consider upgrading to XP. No newer
device drivers are being made for any older Windows versions. Windows 9x,
ME and 2000 are no longer directly supported by Microsoft.

"BillC" <BillC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I should upgrade
> XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's all?
> --
> BillC
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:25:21 PM

I have a retired friend from church whose daughter advised him to upgrade to
XP from 98. I looked at his system and talked with him about his needs. His
only problem was that his 98 system was a bit slow.

After upgrading him to 98SE and doing a few performance tweaks he was
satisfied with the performance of his system.

Win98 will be around for years to come - but as time goes by there will be
less and less support for it. You'll have to decide when/if you need the
upgrade based on what you want/need your system to do.

There's a benefit to waiting, just as there's a benefit to upgrading (and
one for not doing anything). Upgrading now will let you use the latest
programs and devices on your system. But, we're in a period of change for PC
systems (moving to 64 bit computing, etc) and waiting will let you get the
current parts/software for less money in the future. Also, waiting will give
you more choices in the future.

For example - if you wait until next year - you'll have the option of
upgrading to the new Windows Vista. Or, you could upgrade to XP then and
save money because the Vista will be the mainstream OS at that time.

CAVEAT: Regardless of the upgrade - you must make sure that your hardware
meets the requirements for the new OS.

- John

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Only one "good" reason that you might consider upgrading to XP. No newer
> device drivers are being made for any older Windows versions. Windows 9x,
> ME and 2000 are no longer directly supported by Microsoft.
>

> "BillC" <BillC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I should upgrade
> > XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's all?
> > --
> > BillC

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:54:27 PM

No reason if it's doing the task at hand.

BillC wrote:

> I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I should upgrade to
> XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's all?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:29:30 PM

There is starting to not be any official support for any Windows versions
below XP.

As for Vista, do not consider this as an option for upgrading from any
version of Windows below XP. First looks indicate that most graphic cards
will need a major driver update to LDDM standard and most Windows 98
compatible card may qualify.

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a retired friend from church whose daughter advised him to upgrade
> XP from 98. I looked at his system and talked with him about his needs.
> His
> only problem was that his 98 system was a bit slow.
>
> After upgrading him to 98SE and doing a few performance tweaks he was
> satisfied with the performance of his system.
>
> Win98 will be around for years to come - but as time goes by there will be
> less and less support for it. You'll have to decide when/if you need the
> upgrade based on what you want/need your system to do.
>
> There's a benefit to waiting, just as there's a benefit to upgrading (and
> one for not doing anything). Upgrading now will let you use the latest
> programs and devices on your system. But, we're in a period of change for
> PC
> systems (moving to 64 bit computing, etc) and waiting will let you get the
> current parts/software for less money in the future. Also, waiting will
> give
> you more choices in the future.
>
> For example - if you wait until next year - you'll have the option of
> upgrading to the new Windows Vista. Or, you could upgrade to XP then and
> save money because the Vista will be the mainstream OS at that time.
>
> CAVEAT: Regardless of the upgrade - you must make sure that your hardware
> meets the requirements for the new OS.
>
> - John
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> Only one "good" reason that you might consider upgrading to XP. No newer
>> device drivers are being made for any older Windows versions. Windows
>> 9x,
>> ME and 2000 are no longer directly supported by Microsoft.
>>

>> "BillC" <BillC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I should
>> >upgrade
>> > XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's all?
>> > --
>> > BillC

September 16, 2005 2:38:01 PM

I have XP in my office, so I thought XP at home would be good also. Thanks
for your answers.
--
BillC

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:UWBWe.7261$6Z3.5685@fe06.lga,
> Z <Z@no.spam> typed:

> >> My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
> >> operating system should be driven by need, not just because
> >> there
> >> is a new version available. Are you having a problem with
> >> Windows
> >
> > There _is_ a need ... he needs to add wireless.
> >
> > Have you even tried wireless under W98SE? When it works, it
> > works
> > poorly.
>

> OK, if that's the case, then it would seem that he needs to
> upgrade to some newer operating system--not necessarily XP,
> though.
>
> No, I've never tried wireless under 98SE. I've never run wireless
> under anything but XP, and don't know anything about support for
> it under other operating systems.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:43:10 PM

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEM=?= wrote:

> I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I should upgrade to
> XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's all?

I get that question a lot. My answer is. If there is some hardware or
software that you want to use that requires xp then go ahead and
upgrade.

However, keep in mind that XP requires more ram to work properly. And,
if you have a real old win98 system it may be best to wait until you get
a new box.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

Bob I wrote:

> No reason if it's doing the task at hand.

Agreed.
September 16, 2005 4:30:01 PM

"Z" wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> >>I have Win98 and all is working fine. Is there any reason I
> >>should
> >>upgrade to XP. I am adding an wireless cable system, but that's
> >>all?
>
> > My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
> > operating system should be driven by need, not just because there
> > is a new version available. Are you having a problem with Windows
>
> There _is_ a need ... he needs to add wireless.
>
> Have you even tried wireless under W98SE? When it works, it works poorly.

Hmm, i installed D-Link WiFi adapter under Win98FE and all works fine.
Maybe because of D-Link drivers fitting for W98FE?
September 16, 2005 5:24:30 PM

Alex wrote:
> Hmm, i installed D-Link WiFi adapter under Win98FE and all works fine.
> Maybe because of D-Link drivers fitting for W98FE?

I've tried D-Link, Xyzel(?) and Netgear, and had problems with all of
them. From not sticking on the preferred network, to completely dropped
connections, or the data link slows to a crawl for 30-45 seconds for no
obvious reason, enabling WEP causes the connection to
drop/restore/drop/restore, etc. What a pain-in-the-a**.

Finally, for this last Win 98SE PC (733Mhz with 256MB) after spending a
week on it trying various wireless NICs (see above) and configurations,
with limited success (could not get the setup reliable) I bit the bullet
and used up an OEM XP Pro CD I had been saving for a rainy day.

All the problems went away.
!