Sign in with
Your question

AMD's 90nm CPUs delayed to 2005

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2004 2:53:18 AM

Well, while it was nice to believe that AMD was indeed having a better and easier transition to 90nm than Intel, it would seem that AMD's 90nm-process CPUs - which are the ones that will enable considerably higher clock rates. Here's the <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040419071508..." target="_new">link</A> from Xbitlabs.

Even so, they still have the lead right now. But so much for AMD's killer 3Ghz chip still in 2004 that some optimists were daydreaming about, eh?...

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>
April 20, 2004 3:43:43 AM

Yeah that is a shame. Too bad for amd.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
April 20, 2004 4:57:57 AM

So xbit is saying that they were wrong about a release that only they said would be early?
The roadmap at Anand has stayed the same, still says A64 4000+ in first Q of 05. That is when Amd said they would release, several months ago. No change, except that xbit is saying Dec/04.
Related resources
April 20, 2004 5:19:22 AM

IF its true then it is too bad, but frankly, both comapnies seem content to end the year wihtout any big fireworks, intel probably wont push for a 4ghz p4 by the end of the year either. as long as s939 stays on track, i dont mind so much wiating for 90nm chips, as long as they get it right lol
April 20, 2004 6:45:02 AM

Doesnt make sense.
read <A HREF="http://www.investorshub.com/boards/read_msg.asp?message..." target="_new"> this </A>
Quote:
MUNICH, Germany -- U.S. processor and flash memory maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. has begun using a 90-nanometer silicon-on-insulator (SOI) manufacturing process at its Fab30 in Dresden, Germany, according to Thomas Sunderman, a director of manufacturing technology within AMD's corporate manufacturing group.

AMD expects commercial shipment of products made using the 90-nm process to begin in the third quarter, Sonderman said.

Well, Sonderman ought to know I'd say. Maybe X-bit got confused by the word "mass production" / "high volumes" ? I mean, its not like even 130nm A64 is a high volume product today, but I sure can buy one.

BTW, also interesting the that same SST article:
Quote:
Sonderman said the use of SOI at the 130-nm process node had reduced processor power consumption to the 45-W to 55-W mark and that the shrink to 90-nm would produce an additional benefit.

"It's reducing power significantly...gives AMD the freedom to boost performance or lower power." When asked what features would be added to the process Sonderman said: "Strained silicon is one of the things you are going to be seeing from AMD at 90-nm."

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 20, 2004 9:58:33 AM

Quote:
... while the mass production of these chips is scheduled for December 2004 ...

I hardly consider this a "delay", and if it turns out to be true, then AMD is indeed having a better and easier transition to 90nm than Intel. And I also agree with P4Man. Surely there won't be <b>mass</b> production in Dec04 but if they do start to produce those chips in 2004, they'll start selling them anyway even in limited quantities (especially for marketing reasons), I don't see any reason not to!

Btw, I personally don't need any info to tell me that anyone predicting a 3GHz AMD chip in 2004 is daydreaming !!!
April 20, 2004 11:45:51 AM

It's no suprise really - when was the last time <i>anything</i> got released early by anyone? :smile:

As long as my current rig can hold up until I can get a good stepping 90nm A64, and get 3Ghz or more, I'll be happy.

Things still look quite sweet for AMD at the moment. Anyone got any ideas when a few engineering samples might get put out? (obviously not until Q04 minimum I guess :frown: ). very interested to see what the first batches will be like.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
April 20, 2004 12:00:24 PM

> Anyone got any ideas when a few engineering samples might
>get put out?

They have already produced 90nm chips (engineering samples), several months ago afair.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 20, 2004 12:46:34 PM

I don't recall reading anything about it. Certainly not with any power/heat numbers anyway.

Got a link?

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
April 20, 2004 12:59:46 PM

Actually, the link I gave above already states:

Quote:
The 90-nm AMD64 is in active pilot mode in Fab 30 and prototype parts are running in systems

>Certainly not with any power/heat numbers anyway.

Of course not, you wouldnt think AMD would publish them would you ?

April 20, 2004 1:59:19 PM

oops! sorry... going half-blind in my old age I guess :wink: . Maybe I shouldn't inhabit the forums while I'm at work, and have to concentrate on other things as well... :evil: 

I actually meant early production samples - from which we can get some indications re. Heat/Power - Rather than 'Engineering samples' in my first post. Again me dividing my attention about too much... :redface: . my bad.

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
April 20, 2004 3:11:40 PM

Well, I don't really know, but it's been a really long time since I've heard of a delay and it actually didn't happen. So I'm personally not holding my breath on this one still happening in 2004.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>
April 20, 2004 7:10:58 PM

There can always be delays, even at the very last minute, but some high ranking AMD official as recently as yesterday confirmed it would ship "on target" (obviously, that target has already been moved in the past).

Considering we are only a few weeks from waferstarts, I would be really surprised if it would be delayed by as much as ~6 months, and if it happens nevertheless, it definately would not be because of an issue or a planning decission known already today (what xbit claims). I'm pretty sure we will see 90nm hammers this year, just not millions of them.

April 20, 2004 8:02:13 PM

I am not surprise.

i need to change useur name.
April 20, 2004 11:25:57 PM

I believe the XBitLabs folks got a bit confused, or (I suspect) just wrote a confusing article.

This EE Times article tells a somewhat different story: <A HREF="http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?arti..." target="_new">linky</A>. As best I can tell, EE Times is not prone to flights of fancy or conjecture...
!