My Documents - Copying the files and folders

Mike

Splendid

I am trying to access the My Documents folders form an older hard drive that
is no good (something is corrupted within Windows and the machine won't
boot). I am going to replace the hard drive, it's time for that anyway. I
have the old hard drive connected to another computer as a second drive. I
can see the file structure on the drive, but I can't see the files and
folders in My Documents for my old profile.

How can I access those files adn copy them to the good drive?

Try running chkdsk against the drive
Also try running an Error check against the drive (right click the drive in
explorer, select properties and then Tools)

"Mike" wrote:

> I am trying to access the My Documents folders form an older hard drive that
> is no good (something is corrupted within Windows and the machine won't
> boot). I am going to replace the hard drive, it's time for that anyway. I
> have the old hard drive connected to another computer as a second drive. I
> can see the file structure on the drive, but I can't see the files and
> folders in My Documents for my old profile.
>
> How can I access those files adn copy them to the good drive?

Mike

Splendid

I did those and tried repairing the install. It isn't working, so like i
said, I am really focusing on getting the files off the drive and onto the
other disk.

Any idea how I can see the files and folders?

Mike wrote:
> I am trying to access the My Documents folders form an older
> hard drive that is no good (something is corrupted within
> Windows and the machine won't boot). I am going to replace
> the hard drive, it's time for that anyway. I have the old
> hard drive connected to another computer as a second drive.
> I can see the file structure on the drive, but I can't see
> the files and folders in My Documents for my old profile.
>
> How can I access those files adn copy them to the good drive?

If you're getting "Access Denied" error messages or the
Properties for your old files list their size as 0kb then it's
an indication that you need to take ownership of the files. Try
taking ownership of the entire Documents and Setting folder.

Take a look here for the procedure:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Another option would be to create one of the following bootable
CD's and try to recover the files:

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

KNOPPIX
http://www.knoppix.org/

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Mike

Splendid

Thanks. That looks like it will do the trick. I will try this later tonight.

And, if the first two don't work, I do have a bootable knoppix disk that i
haven't tried. I know it has the tools that might help here.

I bookmarked the Ultimate Boot CD for later reference. That seems pretty
involved.

Thanks,
Mike

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> > I am trying to access the My Documents folders form an older
> > hard drive that is no good (something is corrupted within
> > Windows and the machine won't boot). I am going to replace
> > the hard drive, it's time for that anyway. I have the old
> > hard drive connected to another computer as a second drive.
> > I can see the file structure on the drive, but I can't see
> > the files and folders in My Documents for my old profile.
> >
> > How can I access those files adn copy them to the good drive?
>
> If you're getting "Access Denied" error messages or the
> Properties for your old files list their size as 0kb then it's
> an indication that you need to take ownership of the files. Try
> taking ownership of the entire Documents and Setting folder.
>
> Take a look here for the procedure:
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>
> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
>
> Another option would be to create one of the following bootable
> CD's and try to recover the files:
>
> Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
> http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm
>
> KNOPPIX
> http://www.knoppix.org/
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Creating an Ultimate Boot CD can be a little tricky but it's a
handy tool to have around for emergencies.

Good luck

Nepatsfan