Modiying the registry without booting XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alright, here's what happened:
I was messing around with the windows registry(stupid, i know, but I did it
anyway)
and now windows XP won't boot.

I don't really want to re-install windows(it'll be the third or fourth time
this month), but I want XP working again.

Now, i exported all the entries that i changed before i changed them so it
shouldn't be too hard to fix(i hope). I dual boot with windows 98 so there's
another bonus, but i need to know how to modify XP's registry without being
able to boot XP.

Now, I'm not terribly experienced with the registry so step by step
instructions would be best, but I think I can figure out the simple tasks.

Please help me! :(
8 answers Last reply
More about modiying registry booting
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Can you boot using 'Last Known Good' configuration ?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

    Tim


    "Heliostrapolis" wrote:

    > Alright, here's what happened:
    > I was messing around with the windows registry(stupid, i know, but I did it
    > anyway)
    > and now windows XP won't boot.
    >
    > I don't really want to re-install windows(it'll be the third or fourth time
    > this month), but I want XP working again.
    >
    > Now, i exported all the entries that i changed before i changed them so it
    > shouldn't be too hard to fix(i hope). I dual boot with windows 98 so there's
    > another bonus, but i need to know how to modify XP's registry without being
    > able to boot XP.
    >
    > Now, I'm not terribly experienced with the registry so step by step
    > instructions would be best, but I think I can figure out the simple tasks.
    >
    > Please help me! :(
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    No. I tried that already, same thing happens.
    I can't boot normally, i can't bood last known good, i can't boot safe mode.
    "TimH" wrote:

    > Can you boot using 'Last Known Good' configuration ?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222
    >
    > Tim
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Heliostrapolis" <Heliostrapolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:F04810FF-17E3-4506-9094-CF61C133C827@microsoft.com...
    > Alright, here's what happened:
    > I was messing around with the windows registry(stupid, i know, but I did
    > it
    > anyway)
    > and now windows XP won't boot.
    >
    > I don't really want to re-install windows(it'll be the third or fourth
    > time
    > this month), but I want XP working again.
    >
    > Now, i exported all the entries that i changed before i changed them so it
    > shouldn't be too hard to fix(i hope). I dual boot with windows 98 so
    > there's
    > another bonus, but i need to know how to modify XP's registry without
    > being
    > able to boot XP.
    >
    > Now, I'm not terribly experienced with the registry so step by step
    > instructions would be best, but I think I can figure out the simple tasks.
    >
    > Please help me! :(

    You could possibly boot from a BartPe CD and try to fix the registry. In
    trying you may learn something about the registry but in the end I think you
    will end up doing at minimum a repair install.

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    http://regeditpe.sourceforge.net/

    Kerry
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Heliostrapolis wrote:
    > Alright, here's what happened:
    > I was messing around with the windows registry(stupid, i know, but I
    > did it anyway)
    > and now windows XP won't boot.
    >
    > I don't really want to re-install windows(it'll be the third or
    > fourth time this month), but I want XP working again.
    >
    > Now, i exported all the entries that i changed before i changed them
    > so it shouldn't be too hard to fix(i hope). I dual boot with windows
    > 98 so there's another bonus, but i need to know how to modify XP's
    > registry without being able to boot XP.
    >
    > Now, I'm not terribly experienced with the registry so step by step
    > instructions would be best, but I think I can figure out the simple
    > tasks.
    >
    > Please help me! :(

    After you reinstall, repair or clean, learn to not play with things that
    you aren't "terribly experienced" with.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You don't learn anything by NOT playing with things.
    You learn by playing with things and hoping they don't break.

    "kurttrail" wrote:

    > After you reinstall, repair or clean, learn to not play with things that
    > you aren't "terribly experienced" with.
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Heliostrapolis wrote:
    > You don't learn anything by NOT playing with things.
    > You learn by playing with things and hoping they don't break.
    >

    And when they do break, you learn by finding the answer out on your own.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Correction:
    You learn by playing with things AND FIXING them when they break.

    Heliostrapolis wrote:

    > You don't learn anything by NOT playing with things.
    > You learn by playing with things and hoping they don't break.
    >
    > "kurttrail" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>After you reinstall, repair or clean, learn to not play with things that
    >>you aren't "terribly experienced" with.
    >>
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If you boot from the Windows CD and choose "R" to use the Recovery Console
    you can access your system drive to recover a previous good registry. You
    have to recover all five hives and it is an arduous task check this link.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

    Since you are not very experienced it would likely be simpler and quicker to
    do a repair install.

    --
    Uncle John


    "Heliostrapolis" <Heliostrapolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:F6E0225C-9D1A-4E9E-8D09-940466D3F201@microsoft.com...
    > You don't learn anything by NOT playing with things.
    > You learn by playing with things and hoping they don't break.
    >
    > "kurttrail" wrote:
    >
    >> After you reinstall, repair or clean, learn to not play with things that
    >> you aren't "terribly experienced" with.
    >>
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Registry Windows XP