Could not install Recovery Console to hard drive

All this talk about slipstreaming has me wondering ... some years back I
built my system (XP PRO SP1) and since then have installed SP2. After
installing SP2 I found out that it was possible to install the XP
Recovery Console to the hard drive (neat!) :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

but when I tried: d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons , winnt32 complained - I
don't remember the exact error text, but the implication was that
winnt32 was for SP1 and my system was SP2.

If I'd slipstreamed SP2 onto a CD with my original XP PRO SP1
installation, would that have solved that problem?
1 answer Last reply
More about could install recovery console hard drive

    All you need to do is make a SP2 slipstreamed version of your
    current Windows XP Pro and then install the Recovery Console
    using the new CD.

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Z" wrote:

    | All this talk about slipstreaming has me wondering ... some years back I
    | built my system (XP PRO SP1) and since then have installed SP2. After
    | installing SP2 I found out that it was possible to install the XP
    | Recovery Console to the hard drive (neat!) :
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
    |
    | but when I tried: d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons , winnt32 complained - I
    | don't remember the exact error text, but the implication was that
    | winnt32 was for SP1 and my system was SP2.
    |
    | If I'd slipstreamed SP2 onto a CD with my original XP PRO SP1
    | installation, would that have solved that problem?

Hard Drives Recovery Console Windows XP