C:Program FilesMicrosoft folder opens when XP starts

Ian

Ever since I installed version 1.0 of MS SyncToy everytime I start XP the
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft is displayed on the screen. I have
checked the RUN areas in the registry, ran HiJack this and still can not
find why this folder is being opened.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian

Alias

If you installed it from a CD, is the CD still in the drive? Have you looked
at MSCONFIG?

Alias
"Ian" <ianmiller109@hotmail.com> wrote

> Ever since I installed version 1.0 of MS SyncToy everytime I start XP the
> folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft is displayed on the screen. I have
> checked the RUN areas in the registry, ran HiJack this and still can not
> find why this folder is being opened.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

Ian

Checked both, no to the CD and MSCONFIG doesn't report any programs loading
from C:\Program Files\Microsoft. I think it maybe something to do with
desktop.ini......

Still looking.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> If you installed it from a CD, is the CD still in the drive? Have you
> looked at MSCONFIG?
>
> Alias
> "Ian" <ianmiller109@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>> Ever since I installed version 1.0 of MS SyncToy everytime I start XP the
>> folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft is displayed on the screen. I have
>> checked the RUN areas in the registry, ran HiJack this and still can not
>> find why this folder is being opened.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ian

Ian

Everest Home Edition is an interesting (freeware) source of information:
http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php

If you download see if the answer to your question is revealed by
selecting Software, Autostart.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ian" <ianmiller109@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Checked both, no to the CD and MSCONFIG doesn't report any programs
> to do with desktop.ini......
>
> Still looking.
>

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> If you installed it from a CD, is the CD still in the drive? Have you
>> looked at MSCONFIG?
>>
>> Alias
>> "Ian" <ianmiller109@hotmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> Ever since I installed version 1.0 of MS SyncToy everytime I start
>>> XP the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft is displayed on the screen.
>>> I have checked the RUN areas in the registry, ran HiJack this and
>>> still can not find why this folder is being opened.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ian

Ian

Found the problem, one of the symantec startup programs did not have " "
around the file and had a long file name. Corrected this and the window
stopped appearing.

> Ever since I installed version 1.0 of MS SyncToy everytime I start XP the
> folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft is displayed on the screen. I have
> checked the RUN areas in the registry, ran HiJack this and still can not
> find why this folder is being opened.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

Didn't work for me. I ran Autoruns (www.sysinternals.com) and use the "jump
to" facility to locate every Symantec entry listed there in the registry.
Put quotes round all the ones which didn't have them - problem continues.

This only started when I installed synctoy, and stopped when I uninstalled
the previous beta version. Now I've installed the final version, the
problem is back. Can't find the setting anywhere!

--
## PH, London