MN-720 & SMC 2804WBR G Router WEP & WPA Compatibility

Hi there! I just purchased the Microsoft MN-720 cardbus G
adapter for my laptop, and for the life of me I cannot get
the WEP or WPA security to connect with my SMC Barricade
2804WBR wireless router. No matter what I enter or even
reduce my router's wireless security to WEP 64-bit (from
128 bit), the WEP never works. Plus, whenever I try to
engage WPA, the Microsoft software states that WPA is not
supported on the version that I am running (driver
v3.60.7.0 and utility v2.2.0.731). However, if I do not
turn on WEP, everything works fine.

Note that I have updated my SMC firmware to the latest
version available, and I have a different laptop (Dell)
with a built-in Wi-Fi, and it works fine with the SMC
Barricade running WPA security.

I have manually entered the settings using the MN-710
utility. The wizard is basically useless, and even states
that I have my WEP settings incorrect when it tries to
connect to the wireless router, and no wireless security
was setup on the router. Plus, I am running the July 2004
edition of the MN-720 software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced. --GIF

WPA = WAP (too tired to get the acronyms right :) And
yes I know this is not supported per other postings I have
read.

And no, I did not try to mix WEP and WAP together. I tried
one or the other, and when I found out WAP is not
supported, I stuck to WEP. So WEP simply does not work
between the MN-720 and the SMC Barricade router.

--GIF

1. WPA on the 720 is supported on Windows XP only
2. Do NOT use the Broadband Network Utility on Windows XP tp configure
wireless security. Use Windows XP's built in wireless zero
configuration.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist