Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with Dual boot WIN2000

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:40:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have two hardrives, Hardrive 1 has win2000 and hardrive2 has XP. During
bootup I am given a choice to select either WIN2000 or XP. My WIN2000
hardrive crashed and so I formated and reinstalled WIN2000. Problem is is I
no longer have the choice to booth to either WIN2K or XP. The XP hardrive is
intact in F:\Windows. Right now I can only boot to WIN as that is the only
option I have. How can I fix this problem... so I can have the option to
boot to either operating system during bootup.

Thank you in advance.

More about : dual boot win2000

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:40:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JP Bless wrote:
> I have two hardrives, Hardrive 1 has win2000 and hardrive2 has XP. During
> bootup I am given a choice to select either WIN2000 or XP. My WIN2000
> hardrive crashed and so I formated and reinstalled WIN2000. Problem is is I
> no longer have the choice to booth to either WIN2K or XP. The XP hardrive is
> intact in F:\Windows. Right now I can only boot to WIN as that is the only
> option I have. How can I fix this problem... so I can have the option to
> boot to either operating system during bootup.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
>


You replaced WinXP's newer system files on C: with Win2K's older
versions.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:40:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Cannot Start Windows XP After You Install Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283433

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"JP Bless" wrote:

| I have two hardrives, Hardrive 1 has win2000 and hardrive2 has XP. During
| bootup I am given a choice to select either WIN2000 or XP. My WIN2000
| hardrive crashed and so I formated and reinstalled WIN2000. Problem is is I
| no longer have the choice to booth to either WIN2K or XP. The XP hardrive is
| intact in F:\Windows. Right now I can only boot to WIN as that is the only
| option I have. How can I fix this problem... so I can have the option to
| boot to either operating system during bootup.
|
| Thank you in advance.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:40:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Since you didn't back up those files you have two options. One is go to a
friends pc that has xp and copy them off. Otherwise you have to do a repair
install of XP to get them back. This means you will have to redo all your
updates but your apps/data will remain intact.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:40:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Joshua Bolton wrote:
> Since you didn't back up those files you have two options. One is go to a
> friends pc that has xp and copy them off. Otherwise you have to do a repair
> install of XP to get them back. This means you will have to redo all your
> updates but your apps/data will remain intact.


Nonsense. A simple repair using the WinXP CD is all that's necessary.
There'll be absolutely no need to reinstall WinXP and it's updates.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:22:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I tried repair

Useed XP CD to bootup
Selected Repair using console
Xp gives option to repair
1: C:\WINNT
2: D:Windows

I entered 2
XP asks for Admin password
I enter Admin password and next I see D:\Windows command line
and nothing happens after that...
I restart the system and still I don't get option to boot to WIN2K or Xp
I really don't know what else to do...



"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:%23pyNZCuuFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Joshua Bolton wrote:
> > Since you didn't back up those files you have two options. One is go to
a
> > friends pc that has xp and copy them off. Otherwise you have to do a
repair
> > install of XP to get them back. This means you will have to redo all
your
> > updates but your apps/data will remain intact.
>
>
> Nonsense. A simple repair using the WinXP CD is all that's necessary.
> There'll be absolutely no need to reinstall WinXP and it's updates.
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 7:22:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Try creating a boot floppy to start the operating system. For the floppy to
successfully boot Windows XP the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector.
Format a diskette (on a Windows XP machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT"
boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy XP versions of ntldr,
ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it;

------------boot.ini-------------
[boot loader]
timeout=10
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Win 2000" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Win XP" /fastdetect
/NoExecute=OptIn
------------End File-------------


This boot.ini assumes Windows 2000 installed on the first partition of drive
0 and Windows XP installed on the first partition of drive 1
(watch for line wrap)

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"JP Bless" wrote:
|I tried repair
|
| Useed XP CD to bootup
| Selected Repair using console
| Xp gives option to repair
| 1: C:\WINNT
| 2: D:Windows
|
| I entered 2
| XP asks for Admin password
| I enter Admin password and next I see D:\Windows command line
| and nothing happens after that...
| I restart the system and still I don't get option to boot to WIN2K or Xp
| I really don't know what else to do...
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:11:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In addition to the information in the link Bruce provided, you will need to repair your BOOT.INI file, since you wiped it with the format of the drive.

You need to add the line that points to the installation of Windows XP on your second drive, as well as copying the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from the I386 folder of your XP CD.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message news:o X6fb6tuFHA.3740@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> JP Bless wrote:
>> I have two hardrives, Hardrive 1 has win2000 and hardrive2 has XP. During
>> bootup I am given a choice to select either WIN2000 or XP. My WIN2000
>> hardrive crashed and so I formated and reinstalled WIN2000. Problem is is I
>> no longer have the choice to booth to either WIN2K or XP. The XP hardrive is
>> intact in F:\Windows. Right now I can only boot to WIN as that is the only
>> option I have. How can I fix this problem... so I can have the option to
>> boot to either operating system during bootup.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>>
>
>
> You replaced WinXP's newer system files on C: with Win2K's older
> versions.
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm
>
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
September 17, 2005 12:34:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:22:27 -0400, "JP Bless"
<jp3BlessNoSpam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I tried repair
>
>Useed XP CD to bootup
>Selected Repair using console
>Xp gives option to repair
>1: C:\WINNT
>2: D:Windows
>
>I entered 2
>XP asks for Admin password
>I enter Admin password and next I see D:\Windows command line
>and nothing happens after that...

Type the following:
e: (comment: make CD the default drive; if
not e: then try f:, g:, etc.)
cd i386
copy ntdetect.com c:\
copy ntldr c:\
bootcfg /rebuild
(comment: select the XP installation)
Windows XP (comment: name of operating system)
/fastdetect (comment: options)



>I restart the system and still I don't get option to boot to WIN2K or Xp
>I really don't know what else to do...
>
>
>
>"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>news:%23pyNZCuuFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Joshua Bolton wrote:
>> > Since you didn't back up those files you have two options. One is go to
>a
>> > friends pc that has xp and copy them off. Otherwise you have to do a
>repair
>> > install of XP to get them back. This means you will have to redo all
>your
>> > updates but your apps/data will remain intact.
>>
>>
>> Nonsense. A simple repair using the WinXP CD is all that's necessary.
>> There'll be absolutely no need to reinstall WinXP and it's updates.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:02:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

First all, thanks Andy. I did what you said and it worked... Thank you. Now
I have boot XP and WIN boot options at startup.

However while XP boots up normally when I boot to XP, WIN2000 boots up so
very slowly... When I boot to WIN2000 the screen goes blank for about 5
minutes and then I see the WIN2000 logo appear after that. It is strange.
Wasn't happening before, so I am wondering if the XP repair affected the
WIN2000 bootup time. If so what should I do?

Thanks

"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
news:f6kni1d1kj16m8cb5thvh0rm4ke5v8dceo@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:22:27 -0400, "JP Bless"
> <jp3BlessNoSpam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I tried repair
> >
> >Useed XP CD to bootup
> >Selected Repair using console
> >Xp gives option to repair
> >1: C:\WINNT
> >2: D:Windows
> >
> >I entered 2
> >XP asks for Admin password
> >I enter Admin password and next I see D:\Windows command line
> >and nothing happens after that...
>
> Type the following:
> e: (comment: make CD the default drive; if
> not e: then try f:, g:, etc.)
> cd i386
> copy ntdetect.com c:\
> copy ntldr c:\
> bootcfg /rebuild
> (comment: select the XP installation)
> Windows XP (comment: name of operating system)
> /fastdetect (comment: options)
>
>
>
> >I restart the system and still I don't get option to boot to WIN2K or Xp
> >I really don't know what else to do...
> >
> >
> >
> >"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> >news:%23pyNZCuuFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Joshua Bolton wrote:
> >> > Since you didn't back up those files you have two options. One is go
to
> >a
> >> > friends pc that has xp and copy them off. Otherwise you have to do a
> >repair
> >> > install of XP to get them back. This means you will have to redo all
> >your
> >> > updates but your apps/data will remain intact.
> >>
> >>
> >> Nonsense. A simple repair using the WinXP CD is all that's necessary.
> >> There'll be absolutely no need to reinstall WinXP and it's updates.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Bruce Chambers
> >>
> >> Help us help you:
> >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >>
> >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> >> both at once. - RAH
> >
>
!