Sign in with
Your question

Help, before I go insane!

Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2004 9:16:39 PM

ok, I know this is the wrong forum section for this, but I'm so confused!

My broadband connection has started playing up (random d/c and sometimes no connects) for the last 3-4weeks (Its been fine for over 7months before). I phoned up my ISP tech support and an engineer was sent round to look at my line - it turns out my phone line is not the problem. So, just for the fun of it, I installed the Modem on my dads PC, and the internet worked fine.
So, the problem lies with my PC, I checked all the settings but couldn't find the problem, so I decided to reinstall XP. But even with a fresh install of XP SP1 with all the drivers, my connection is stupidly bad - it hardly ever connects, and disconnects after 2mins or so.
Ill post my PC specs, and HOPE TO GOD that someone has an answer for me!

AXP 2500+ @ 3200+
NF2 Chaintech Zenith Mobo
Nvidia Geforce 5600 o/c 568/675
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
Binatone ADSL 500 Speed Link Modem

Thanks for your help!

That was... different... kinda slimy... sorta warm... yet, suprisingly arousing...

More about : insane

April 22, 2004 12:17:13 AM

Try a different nic card.
April 22, 2004 2:02:08 AM

Just a thought, have you tried to run spybot or any spyware removers? My sisters computer would not connect to a DSL connection, would not access the internet, and it turned out to be spyware (we had to get a pro to remove it, but thats beside the point).

"This means that you can play over a network, just not with each other."-PC GAMER review
Related resources
April 22, 2004 11:29:47 AM

I just reformatted my entire Harddrive, so spyware / adware got deleted. Also to the post before, my modem is USB and it works fine on my dads PC, so I wont need to replace my NIC. HELP before I tub girl my self

Thanks

That was... different... kinda slimy... sorta warm... yet, suprisingly arousing...
April 22, 2004 2:26:56 PM

BUUUUUUMMMMMPPPPPPP!

Any ideas - to recap - ADSL modem (USB) won't function correctly on my PC (but has been working fine for over 7months before), install on my dads PC and all is well. Full reformat, and reinstall of Windows XP, and the still the same!

Thanks

<A HREF="http://www.tubgirl.com" target="_new">Don't Click This - Please!</A>
April 22, 2004 3:59:08 PM

If you have any other USB devices connected, remove them and try again.
April 22, 2004 4:01:55 PM

USB 2.0?

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.
April 22, 2004 4:10:59 PM

Should find out if they offer a non-USB modem... I prefer those that connect through NICs.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
April 22, 2004 5:36:43 PM

Hi!
Well, might not have anything to do with it, but tried to run your CPU at stockspeed (2500)?

Turk
April 22, 2004 11:13:29 PM

Try something besides a USB modem. My mothers laptop doesn't like logitech trackmen, it worked for a bit, then windows said the USB device malfunctioned, other USB mice work, just not that one. Regular NIC's are cheap, so if you are OK with installing it, I may try that. Just a thought.

"This means that you can play over a network, just not with each other."-PC GAMER review
April 23, 2004 10:24:37 AM

Yes, I have USB 2.0. The weird thing is that the Modem will find the ADSL signal, and let me connect for 3-5minutes before silently disconnecting! Is this a symtom of anything? Thanks for your help!

April 23, 2004 10:24:37 AM

Yes, I have USB 2.0. The weird thing is that the Modem will find the ADSL signal, and let me connect for 3-5minutes before silently disconnecting! Is this a symtom of anything? Thanks for your help!

April 23, 2004 11:34:24 PM

Check device manager to make sure usb is working properly.
April 24, 2004 2:31:47 AM

Is your modem USB 2.0 compliant? Can you use a nic with it or is it strictly USB? Just for sh!ts and giggles uninstall your SB Live! and physically remove it from your system.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.
April 24, 2004 6:08:30 AM

Since it works on your fathers pc, swap every component of your fathers pc one by one with your pc and find out which has the problem.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World
April 24, 2004 9:05:29 PM

Maybe there is some power saving features that shut off USB if nothing happen. Check in the USB properties. I've seen one device usign that but dont remenber which one.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
April 24, 2004 10:38:09 PM

Sounds silly - but the blaster worm used to disconnect you after 2 mins, right?

I remember a mate of mine formatted after getting that, connected to net to get Microsoft patch, and got it again...lol!

Am I just talking rubbish, or is that viable?

XP2000, 512 ddr 2700ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro
!