CPU OVERHEATING!

Tighfield

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I just recently discovered that my motherboard has a CPU OVERHEAT LED light on it. I have no idea why it is overheating, I haven't had this new system very long. I was wonder... so what do I do now that I know my "CPU OVERHEAT" light comes on? Right now, it's not on. Am I going to have to buy a new system? What can I do to save it before it's too late?

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Shuttle AN35N Ultra V1.1 (nVidia nForce 2 400Ultra)
768MB PC2100 DDR RAM
Radeon 9500
Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer
Windows XP Pro<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tighfield on 04/22/04 03:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
First step, check the CPU heatsink, did it fall off? Is it properly installed tightly onto the processor?

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view&id=17301" target="_new">My PC</A>

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Have you tried checking temps in BIOS and maybe some other monitoring programs? Where is your computer located? You could try moving your computer to your basement if you have one.

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?michael:)" target="_new"> You Want To Click Me, Go Ahead:) </A>

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Several questions first. What temp is your cpu running-at light load and at heavy load. AMD's do tend to run hot. Is it overheating all the time? If not, what application(s) running cause it to run hot. Are you running the stock heatsink and fan? Have you considered running an aftermarket heatsink and fan like zalman.

endyen

Splendid
Find out what temp the light comes on at (in bios) If it's like 65c, adjust and forget. If its coming on at 75c, is your system stable? Always take any temps from your computer with a grain of salt. They are not calabrated, so they can be way off.

cookjei

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I had the same problem when I built my first unit and found out I hadn't secured the heatsink/cpu fan properly. Crack the case open and make sure its snug. There should be no lax when you try to move it. If not, check the BIOS and make sure its not overclocked and your CPU is running at the proper frequency.

<font color=red>Urban Geek </font color=red>

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
And don't forget to check the oviouse things, like fan speed. I laugh at how many times people remove the HS without first checking to make sure the fan spins.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.