Solved

PIXMA MX870 Problems

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Pixma
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 28, 2011 9:17:14 PM

I've had the PIXMA MX870 for at least a year and it's been working fine, but a few days ago I had a paper jam. I removed it or at least think I removed all of the bits of paper. Since then the printer won't do anything. Error 6A80 shows on my computer and on the LCD. The ink cartridge lamps have NO LIGHTS at all. I removed all of the ink cartridges and even the print head to see if there was any paper stuck anywhere. I didn't see anything. Everything clicked back into place. I have repeatedly turned the machine off and on, unplugged and replugged it, and even pressed the 3 buttons on the front with the power button to reset the machine as was suggested at another site. I just keep getting the same error message. I even replugged the USB cord hoping that if it was a wired machine it would give me more details as to what the problem might be but no luck. (Unless there is something else I have to do rather than just replugging the USB wire.) The user guide and online troubleshooter don't seem to be of much help.
If it means anything I have a MacBook Pro. Please help. Thanks in advance.

More about : pixma mx870 problems

Best solution

May 1, 2011 11:06:03 AM

you most likely still have a piece of paper in the printer that has torn off in there. it may be hard to see or covered in ink. its probably obstructing the carriage from moving across. if it is under warranty just take it in for repair.
May 10, 2011 7:30:28 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
you most likely still have a piece of paper in the printer that has torn off in there. it may be hard to see or covered in ink. its probably obstructing the carriage from moving across. if it is under warranty just take it in for repair.

Thanks, I took it to a repair place and the problem was a little white lever or something like that on a spring inside. It had somehow slid forward. It just needed to be pushed backwards as far as it would go and all was well again.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 10, 2011 7:32:14 PM

Best answer selected by SeekerOfInfo.
m
l
June 5, 2011 5:38:55 AM

SeekerOfInfo said:
Thanks, I took it to a repair place and the problem was a little white lever or something like that on a spring inside. It had somehow slid forward. It just needed to be pushed backwards as far as it would go and all was well again.

Do you know where this spring and lever are???

m
l
November 12, 2012 3:28:05 AM

I had the same problem - the 6A80 msg. After reading the above, I got lucky and managed to push a white small "tray" that had tabs sticking up, towards the back of the printer. It's the white "tray" that is behind a black square and black rectangle (you can totally see the black square and rectangle after you push the white "tray" back) I tried to attach a photo but am unable to. The error msg did go away and the printer seems to be working now.
m
l
January 7, 2013 3:20:24 PM

Just had the same problem, 6A80. I slid the white tray to the back of the printer (on the right side inside at the level of the bottom of the print head). Powered on and got a bad ratcheting noise (and error 5100). Then powered off, pushed down on the black rectangle (this must be the sponge where the excess ink is disposed of, the tray is the cover for the ink disposal sponge), then pushed the tray back forward (toward the front) again, powered on and the printer was happy again.
Thanks for the clue.
m
l
!