Windows Explorer Drive Names for External Hard Drives

Can I charge the drive names for external hard drives,
Example: New Volume to Photos
Important Note: Programs in the external hard drive are depended on the
registry.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823293

Louis Miller wrote:
> Can I charge the drive names for external hard drives,
> Example: New Volume to Photos
> Important Note: Programs in the external hard drive are
> depended on the registry.

Louis,

The advice Anna has given you is absolutely correct. Hopefully,
you haven't followed the advice Jonah gave. Sorry to say, but
he's mistaken.

The label "New Volume" is assigned to any newly created drive.
You can change the Volume label to whatever you want. The only
thing the registry cares about is the drive letter that's
assigned to your external hard drive. It's looking for D: or
E:, not "New Volume" or Photos. A Volume label is an optional
item for a hard drive.

I hope that my response will clear up some of the confusion.
Listen to Anna! Her solution is the right one.

Nepatsfan

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:19:26 -0400, "Louis Miller"
<louis13@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Can I charge the drive names for external hard drives,
>Example: New Volume to Photos
> Important Note: Programs in the external hard drive are depended on the
>registry.

Remove everything from your ext HDD, uninstall applications running on
it if that is what you mean by the above note. When its clear Right
Click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.
Right Click on the External HDD > Format > Fill in the name you want
in the "Volume Lable" box and click OK. When its formatted copy back
your files & folders and if you must re-install the apps on the newly
named Ext HDD.

Jonah

anna

"Jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Remove everything from your ext HDD, uninstall applications running on
> it if that is what you mean by the above note. When its clear Right
> Click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.
> Right Click on the External HDD > Format > Fill in the name you want
> in the "Volume Lable" box and click OK. When its formatted copy back
> your files & folders and if you must re-install the apps on the newly
> named Ext HDD.
>
> Jonah

Do I misunderstand the OP's objective? Doesn't all he want to do is simply
change the volume name of his USBEHD from New Volume to Photos? Why in the
world would he need to uninstall all his applications from that drive and
re:format it as well? Isn't all he's after is a simple renaming of the
device?

Louis, if I correctly understand your objective -- with your USBEHD
connected, access My Computer, right-click on your USBEHD, select the Rename
menu item and enter whatever new name you want for your drive.
Anna