Just ordered an 8300

This is my third Dell and I find them exceptional. Any advice on
setting it up or otherwise? Thanks

On 29 May 2004 17:07:18 -0700, RO wrote:

> This is my third Dell and I find them exceptional. Any advice on
> setting it up or otherwise? Thanks

Make sure you enable the firewall before ever going online, get the "Three
Musketeers" from <http://www.grc.com/default.htm>, turn off unnecessary
services by reading up at Black Viper's:
<http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm>

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

RO <vtot4y602@sneakemail.com> coughed up the following:

> This is my third Dell and I find them exceptional. Any advice on
> setting it up or otherwise? Thanks

I just got one last month. LOVE the thing.

Try to ignore the missing two front feet though. Weeeeeird.

--
While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

DO you LOVE it because it works?
Geepers
Tell us

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:Wpcuc.5601$hB2.5330@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
> RO <vtot4y602@sneakemail.com> coughed up the following:
>
> > This is my third Dell and I find them exceptional. Any advice on
> > setting it up or otherwise? Thanks
>

> I just got one last month. LOVE the thing.
>
> Try to ignore the missing two front feet though. Weeeeeird.
>

> --
> While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
> activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
> someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

Jan

In article <v4lf6fevprki$.dlg@lemming.militia.com>, zoomie@fastmail.fm
says...
> On 29 May 2004 17:07:18 -0700, RO wrote:
>
> > This is my third Dell and I find them exceptional. Any advice on
> > setting it up or otherwise? Thanks
>
> Make sure you enable the firewall before ever going online, get the "Three
> Musketeers" from <http://www.grc.com/default.htm>, turn off unnecessary
> services by reading up at Black Viper's:
> <http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm>

Oh ya - last time I reformatted and re-installed xp on my existing
computer, lo and behold - a virus on the first boot. Learned my lesson.
Getting a new Dell next week and am going to make sure first boot is
without any internet connection. I have AVG and ZoneAlarm on CD so will
install them first and then let the vandals in!
--
Cheers!

Jan

Nah, I love it because it looks cool. :)

It works very well.

XP is great too, but I learned my lesson on one thing: There is a (I
forgot the term) /thing/ in xp that allows the system to be put back to
its prior state when things go awry. Not sure if it is registry only or
what, but it perpetuated a virus that I had a hell of a time getting rid
of.

Most of you are gonna disagree with this, but I finally disabled that
put-back mechanism outright.

allyf <AllyGTF@hytsfs.com> coughed up the following:

> DO you LOVE it because it works?
> Geepers
> Tell us
>

> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:Wpcuc.5601$hB2.5330@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
>> RO <vtot4y602@sneakemail.com> coughed up the following:
>>
>>> This is my third Dell and I find them exceptional. Any advice on
>>> setting it up or otherwise? Thanks
>>

>> I just got one last month. LOVE the thing.
>>
>> Try to ignore the missing two front feet though. Weeeeeird.
>>

>> --
>> While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
>> activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
>> someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmalluntilsomeoneramsitupy
ournose.

System Restore?

wrote in message news:t%muc.3899$bD4.2818@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...

> Nah, I love it because it looks cool. :)
>
> It works very well.
>
> XP is great too, but I learned my lesson on one thing: There is a (I
> forgot the term) /thing/ in xp that allows the system to be put back to
> its prior state when things go awry. Not sure if it is registry only or
> what, but it perpetuated a virus that I had a hell of a time getting rid
> of.
>
> Most of you are gonna disagree with this, but I finally disabled that
> put-back mechanism outright.
>

> allyf <AllyGTF@hytsfs.com> coughed up the following:
>
> > DO you LOVE it because it works?
> > Geepers
> > Tell us
> >

> > "Thomas G. Marshall"
> > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message news:Wpcuc.5601$hB2.5330@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
> >> RO <vtot4y602@sneakemail.com> coughed up the following:

> >> I just got one last month. LOVE the thing.
> >>
> >> Try to ignore the missing two front feet though. Weeeeeird.
> >>

> >> --
> >> While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
> >> activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
> >> someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.
>
> --
> Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmalluntilsomeoneramsitupy
> ournose.

Ah ha! That's it!

The GOABOT worm took advantage of that. Seems like many others do too.

I've noticed that the frequent advice of symantec was

1. disable the /thingy/ (I suppose it's system restore
like you said)

2. Follow these instructions: bla bla bla

Given that, forGET it. I'll /live/ with a system-meltdown without the
containment building.

OI. This is a bad-metaphor day...

joe_tide <joetide@nowhere.com> coughed up the following:

--
Forgetthesong,I'lljustoptforthefrontallobotomy...

The reason they advise to turn off System Restore before removing any virus,
trojan, etc. is so that it doesn't still reside on your machine.

Turning it back on after running the program is advisable.