mort

I'm running into a problem when I construct a web page.
I've constructed several web pages for an organization which look great
on my computer, but look quite different on other people's machines.

Over the years I've accumulated many new and exciting fonts on my
computer. I use these in constructing a web page, and the web page may
look great on my machine. However, since most of the people who view the
page do not have the same fonts installed, the page looks quite
different on their computers.

My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same
on everyone's computer.

Fonts supplied with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm?fname=%20&fsize

Fonts that are installed with Microsoft Office
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837463

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mort" wrote:

| I'm running into a problem when I construct a web page.
| I've constructed several web pages for an organization which look great
| on my computer, but look quite different on other people's machines.
|
| Over the years I've accumulated many new and exciting fonts on my
| computer. I use these in constructing a web page, and the web page may
| look great on my machine. However, since most of the people who view the
| page do not have the same fonts installed, the page looks quite
| different on their computers.
|
| My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
| that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
| page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same
| on everyone's computer.

kelly

Hi Mort,

Start here: Start/Run/Regedit

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

Added info:

Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm

How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768

HOW TO: Install or Remove a Font in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q314/9/60.asp

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

In memory of those lost during Katrina &
Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

"Mort" <mortn@REMOVECAPSadelphia.net.INVALID> wrote in message
> I'm running into a problem when I construct a web page.
> I've constructed several web pages for an organization which look great on
> my computer, but look quite different on other people's machines.
>
> Over the years I've accumulated many new and exciting fonts on my
> computer. I use these in constructing a web page, and the web page may
> look great on my machine. However, since most of the people who view the
> page do not have the same fonts installed, the page looks quite different
> on their computers.
>
> My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
> that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
> page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same on
> everyone's computer.

Mort wrote:
..

> My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed
> fonts that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I
> develop a web page I can use only these fonts so that the page will
> display the same on everyone's computer.

Probabably not good enough. Strangely enough, many people don't have Windows
XP(or Windows at all). Even if they do,
they may not have all those fonts installed.

How about trying:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22standard+fonts%22+for+%22web+design%22

Dick Kistler

Fonts and products:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.asp

....Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:45:18 -0400, Mort
<mortn@REMOVECAPSadelphia.net.INVALID> wrote:

>I'm running into a problem when I construct a web page.
>I've constructed several web pages for an organization which look great
>on my computer, but look quite different on other people's machines.
>
>Over the years I've accumulated many new and exciting fonts on my
>computer. I use these in constructing a web page, and the web page may
>look great on my machine. However, since most of the people who view the
>page do not have the same fonts installed, the page looks quite
>different on their computers.
>
>My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
>that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
>page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same
>on everyone's computer.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:45:18 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Mort favored us with...
> My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed fonts
> that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I develop a web
> page I can use only these fonts so that the page will display the same
> on everyone's computer.

That question has a built-in assumption, that you should be
specifying fonts on Web pages.

That's a bad assumption, a very bad assumption. So cut it out: don't
"use" fonts in setting up a Web page.

People select fonts in their browser according to what looks good to
them. Some select fonts according to what they can actually read. You
do not know better than other people what works for them.

True, the editor of a book selects a font -- and a paper color and
texture, and a binding, and a book size. The elements all work
together. A Web author can't know what sort of screen the page will
be viewed on, or even what device.

Write on the board 100 times: "Web design isn't desktop publishing."

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:52:56 -0500 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Kelly favored us with...

> HOW TO: Install or Remove a Font in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q314/9/60.asp

Unfortunately the procedure given there for removing fonts does not
always work. If someone can give me an actual working procedure, I'd
be grateful.

I've been trying for MONTHS to remove "DotumChe" and "Batang" and
"MingLiu" and a bunch of other unwanted fonts, and I'm unable to do
it.

The only keyboard selected is US English. I have "East Asian fonts"
and "complex scripts" turned off in every user. Still Windows says
these fonts are in use and won't let me remove them.

I've also tried it in Safe Mode, and the same thing happens.

I even tried a Windows Add/Remove, adding support for East Asian
languages and then removing it -- the fonts are still there.

If anyone knows a way to remove them, I'd love to hear it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:33:42 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Dick Kistler favored us with...
> Mort wrote:
> > My question is: How can I get a listing of the initially installed
> > fonts that come with every copy of Windows XP? At least when I
> > develop a web page I can use only these fonts so that the page will
> > display the same on everyone's computer.
>
> Probabably not good enough. Strangely enough, many people don't have Windows
> XP(or Windows at all). Even if they do,
> they may not have all those fonts installed.
>
> How about trying:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22standard+fonts%22+for+%22web+design%22

You went in the right direction, Dick, but not far enough. Specifying
fonts is nearly always a bad idea. Suppose you specify Arial. Even if
someone has it, they may find it very hard to read, or they may have
an old version without some necessary characters, or they may have
something _called_ Arial that isn't. Or (as you say) they may not
have it at all.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

kelly

Stan, you need to catch the concept first, then the procedure. Hope all
goes well for you within the process.

--

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:52:56 -0500 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Kelly favored us with...
>>
>> HOW TO: Install or Remove a Font in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q314/9/60.asp
>
> Unfortunately the procedure given there for removing fonts does not
> always work. If someone can give me an actual working procedure, I'd
> be grateful.
>
> I've been trying for MONTHS to remove "DotumChe" and "Batang" and
> "MingLiu" and a bunch of other unwanted fonts, and I'm unable to do
> it.
>
> The only keyboard selected is US English. I have "East Asian fonts"
> and "complex scripts" turned off in every user. Still Windows says
> these fonts are in use and won't let me remove them.
>
> I've also tried it in Safe Mode, and the same thing happens.
>
> I even tried a Windows Add/Remove, adding support for East Asian
> languages and then removing it -- the fonts are still there.
>
> If anyone knows a way to remove them, I'd love to hear it.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
> variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
> evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
> where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
> --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:13:42 -0500 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Kelly favored us with...
> Stan, you need to catch the concept first, then the procedure. Hope all
> goes well for you within the process.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Catch _what_ concept?
Where?