Monitor Flicker

JMC467

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hi everyone, I've just encountered an issue with my computer monitor: it has begun flickering, and it has quickly become a complete annoyance. The flickering is somewhat noticeable when white is displayed on screen, but is extremely noticeable with all other colors, and black. Earlier today I was on my computer playing minecraft; no problems. Then, I had to leave for a few hours, so I paused the game and turned off my monitor. When I came back, I closed the game and instantly noticed the headache-inducing flicker that I'm dealing with right now. I have no idea what caused this to happen, and I've tried switching out the video cables I've used with the monitor to no avail. I also tried playing with the monitor settings, the resolution (1600 X 900), color settings and the refresh rate, none of which worked. Also, something that I just realized is that only objects around the edge of the screen (within about one inch) are flickering... as you get closer to the inside of the screen, there is no noticeable flicker. What could be my problem? If it makes any difference, I am using a 22" acer monitor. Thanks for taking the time to read and answer!

P.S. I am using my computer's integrated intel graphics chip. I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem, but I thought I'd add that.

It would help to know the specific model of monitor you've got, and how long you've had it, but my first guess would be that some of your backlights are failing (fluorescent lights tend to exhibit severe flicker just before they go out). If you've got another computer you can hook it up to or the monitor has a self-test mode, you might be able to at least determine whether the integrated graphics you mentioned are really to blame.

Try to move where the monitor is plugged in. I have seen many monitors flicker due to either a poorly sheilded power outlet, or a poorly build power supply. We have several monitors at work that flicker. It may be the backlight, but I think your "flicker" is more of a wavy looking screen more of a scan line of a TV going across rather than a flicker like a light about to go out, is that correct?