Unable to display desktop icons after booting

After I boot, I can't see any desktop icons. I get the desktop image, but no
icons or toolbar at the bottom of the screen. It looks like it just stops in
the middle of booting, but it doesn't matter how long I wait- they never come
up. I go to task manager and no applications are running so it appears that
the boot is complete. I can start programs through task manager. Help!
7 answers Last reply
More about unable display desktop icons booting

    Hi Chris,

    This generally has to do with display drivers. If you have recently done so
    or ran the MS updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager. If
    this is not the case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on Explorer.exe if
    it is listed and either way, then go to File/New Task (Run) and type in:
    Explorer.exe.

    Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883791

    If still nothing:

    Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.

    > After I boot, I can't see any desktop icons. I get the desktop image, but
    > no
    > icons or toolbar at the bottom of the screen. It looks like it just stops
    > in
    > the middle of booting, but it doesn't matter how long I wait- they never
    > come
    > up. I go to task manager and no applications are running so it appears
    > that
    > the boot is complete. I can start programs through task manager. Help!

    Well, I've got exactly the same problem (I put off installing SP2 as long as
    possible because I just knew it wouldn't work). None of these suggestions
    seems to make any difference to my system. No desktop items, no task bar, no
    explorer - just a wallpaper and task manager.

    Malcolm B

    Kelly wrote:

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > This generally has to do with display drivers. If you have recently done so
    > or ran the MS updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager. If
    > this is not the case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on Explorer.exe if
    > it is listed and either way, then go to File/New Task (Run) and type in:
    > Explorer.exe.
    >
    > Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883791
    >
    > If still nothing:
    >
    > Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Good to see you back Kelly!

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thank you, Rock! What a warm smile I am wearing. <w>

    --

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Kelly wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Chris,
    >>
    >> This generally has to do with display drivers. If you have recently done
    >> so or ran the MS updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager.
    >> If this is not the case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on
    >> Explorer.exe if it is listed and either way, then go to File/New Task
    >> (Run) and type in: Explorer.exe.
    >>
    >> Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883791
    >>
    >> If still nothing:
    >>
    >> Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    > Good to see you back Kelly!
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hard to say without knowing more. Good luck, Malcolm. :o)

    --

    "Malcolm B" <Malcolm B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I've got exactly the same problem (I put off installing SP2 as long
    > as
    > possible because I just knew it wouldn't work). None of these suggestions
    > seems to make any difference to my system. No desktop items, no task bar,
    > no
    > explorer - just a wallpaper and task manager.
    >
    > Malcolm B
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Chris,
    >>
    >> This generally has to do with display drivers. If you have recently done
    >> so
    >> or ran the MS updates to do so, try a rollback via the Device Manager.
    >> If
    >> this is not the case, use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end process on Explorer.exe
    >> if
    >> it is listed and either way, then go to File/New Task (Run) and type in:
    >> Explorer.exe.
    >>
    >> Explorer.exe repeatedly quits unexpectedly in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883791
    >>
    >> If still nothing:
    >>
    >> Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> In memory of those lost during Katrina &
    >> Prayers and Hope for the remaining displaced.
    >>

    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > After I boot, I can't see any desktop icons. I get the desktop image,
    >> > but
    >> > no
    >> > icons or toolbar at the bottom of the screen. It looks like it just
    >> > stops
    >> > in
    >> > the middle of booting, but it doesn't matter how long I wait- they
    >> > never
    >> > come
    >> > up. I go to task manager and no applications are running so it appears
    >> > that
    >> > the boot is complete. I can start programs through task manager.
    >> > Help!

  6. Thanks a ton kelly , it did work for me

    Nishad
  7. Unable to display desktop icons after booting
    Having same problem but the task manager won't open regedit or any programs period.
    Thanks for any help. Wes

Boot Task Manager Desktop Icons Windows XP Displays