Hello,

When I plug in an SD card into my laptop, I get a little "safely remove
hardware" in the systray. When I remove the card, can I just yank it
out of the slot, or do I have to right-click on the icon and "Stop" the
device?

Is it safe to just yank it out? Obviously, I am not doing any copying
when I am yanking it out.

I recommend that you right-click on the icon and remove the hardware when Windows tells you (even if you are not copying any file). You can lose data if you suddenly unplug the card from the PC.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

Frank Rizzo Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I plug in an SD card into my laptop, I get a little "safely
> remove
> hardware" in the systray. When I remove the card, can I just yank it
> out of the slot, or do I have to right-click on the icon and "Stop"
> the
> device?
>
> Is it safe to just yank it out? Obviously, I am not doing any copying
> when I am yanking it out.

Would always recommend you to use that feature when unplugging
devices.

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1606

--
Evolution54

Frank Rizzo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I plug in an SD card into my laptop, I get a little "safely
> remove hardware" in the systray. When I remove the card, can I just
> yank it out of the slot, or do I have to right-click on the icon and
> "Stop" the device?
>
> Is it safe to just yank it out? Obviously, I am not doing any copying
> when I am yanking it out.

As an added question. What if you don't want to remove it but just want to
power it off either with the device's own power switch or with a power strip
that it is plugged into?
For safety I use the "safely remove hardware" system for my external hard
drives but not my scanner, printer, and TV/video device. Any advice here?

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:17:00 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Frank Rizzo favored us with...
> Hello,
>
> When I plug in an SD card into my laptop, I get a little "safely remove
> hardware" in the systray. When I remove the card, can I just yank it
> out of the slot, or do I have to right-click on the icon and "Stop" the
> device?
>
> Is it safe to just yank it out? Obviously, I am not doing any copying
> when I am yanking it out.

Check the documentation that came with the device. If there is none,
or if it doesn't say explicitly, then you're better off to use the
"remove" icon first. It doesn't take long.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Double click the safely remove hardware icon.
It should present you with a list of USB devices.
If it's listed in the safely remove hardware list, I turn it off there
before removing it.
If it's not listed, I just unplug it as needed.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Darrell S" <dumbwid@fox.com> wrote in message
> Frank Rizzo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I plug in an SD card into my laptop, I get a little "safely
>> remove hardware" in the systray. When I remove the card, can I just
>> yank it out of the slot, or do I have to right-click on the icon and
>> "Stop" the device?
>>
>> Is it safe to just yank it out? Obviously, I am not doing any copying
>> when I am yanking it out.
>
> As an added question. What if you don't want to remove it but just want
> to power it off either with the device's own power switch or with a power
> strip that it is plugged into?
> For safety I use the "safely remove hardware" system for my external hard
> drives but not my scanner, printer, and TV/video device. Any advice here?
>
> --
>
> Darrell R. Schmidt
> B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
> -

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:27:44 -0600 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, NotMe favored us with...
> Double click the safely remove hardware icon.
> It should present you with a list of USB devices.

s/Double/Single/

The Cuddly Curmudgeon wrote:
> Frank Rizzo wrote:
>
>> When I plug in an SD card into my laptop, I get a little "safely
>> remove hardware" in the systray. When I remove the card, can I just
>> yank it out of the slot, or do I have to right-click on the icon and
>> "Stop" the device?
>
> Anal folks will use the "safely remove" thingee. That's not what USB
> is all about. You are supposed to be able to connect/disconnect those
> devices at will.
>
> AND YOU CAN.
>
> I NEVER use that, and have NEVER had a problem with
> disconnecting/reconnecting a USB device.
>
> I'll beT no one else here has either.

This question wasn't about disconnecting/reconnecting USB devices. It was
about powering them on/off while remaining connected.