Anti Virus software

Anyone have an opinion on the best non-free programs...........
I just need the Anti-virus protection, not the combo packs with firewall, Email protection, etc.......I don't want the really big companies either like Trend PC, Norton, McAfee, Panda.
Any input on Frisk Software's 'F-Prot' ? I don't mind paying an initial up front cost, but I would like to avoid annual fees..............Thanks. deango
18 answers Last reply
More about anti virus software

    AVG AntiVirus Free Edition
    http://free.grisoft.com/

    Donny Broome
    donny AT broomeman DOT com
    Kill Spyware! Visit:
    http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

    From: "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com>

    | Anyone have an opinion on the best non-free programs...........
    | I just need the Anti-virus protection, not the combo packs with firewall, Email
    | protection, etc.......I don't want the really big companies either like Trend PC, Norton,
    | McAfee, Panda.Any input on Frisk Software's 'F-Prot' ? I don't mind paying an initial up
    | front cost, but I would like to avoid annual fees..............Thanks. deango

    F-Prot is very good. I also suggest Kaspersky and NOD32 { in that order }

    CA eTrust -
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    { Free offer extended indefinitely }

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    With any "pay for" antivirus programs I know of, you have a yearly
    find one that doesn't, please tell us about it.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

[...]

    I just got rid of Norton on my home systems and switched to
    Frisk's f-prot and mostly like it. You can get either the home
    version for $29 that is good for 5 computers or the corporate
    version for $49 that will cover 10 -- the corporate one will
    also scan network drives according to email I got from Frisk
    (I asked what the difference was). They also actually respond
    to email and support questions !!! So far, I mostly like it - it
    has a few minor quirks, but most of them are answered on the
    FAQ on their home page. I got the corp. edition. One nice
    feature that it has (I have not set it up yet though) is that you can
    easily set the updater to get the updates to the virus definitions
    via your lan from a local machine instead of over the internet.
    This way, if you have your LAN configured like I do so the
    kids computers are on the network so they can print etc, but
    can't get to the internet from their rooms, they can still update
    the antivirus signatures on their machines by getting them from
    one of the other machines in your network that does have access.

    mikey

    "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com> wrote in message
    Anyone have an opinion on the best non-free programs...........
    I just need the Anti-virus protection, not the combo packs with firewall,
    Email protection, etc.......I don't want the really big companies either
    like Trend PC, Norton, McAfee, Panda.
    Any input on Frisk Software's 'F-Prot' ? I don't mind paying an initial
    up front cost, but I would like to avoid annual fees..............Thanks.
    deango

    Heard lots of good things about F-Prot, never used it myself. NOD32 is a
    very good av-system, in terms of annual fees, (I know you prefer not to),
    you'll pay around $AUD 70.00 bucks for two years, this includes av
    definitions and software updates. Not a bad deal for a good av system.

    See for yourself;
    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    I'll also check this one out;
    http://www.f-prot.com/

    I hear you clearly on Norton and McAfee.

    - Winux P

    Thanks Guys! Well done, lots of info to process and I trust your inputs..........Regards. deango
    Mike Fields wrote:
    > Anyone have an opinion on the best non-free programs...........
    >
    > I just got rid of Norton on my home systems and switched to

    Can anyone prove that F-Prot is actually better than Avast? I like a
    freebie as much as anyone else but I would be willing to pay for an anti
    virus program if it was genuinely better. I don't have any complaints
    against Avast (although the interface and all the skins could use a
    makeover) but if it wasn't doing its job properly I wouldn't necessarily
    know!

    From: "M" <spamtrap@spambouncer.org>

    | Can anyone prove that F-Prot is actually better than Avast? I like a
    | freebie as much as anyone else but I would be willing to pay for an anti
    | virus program if it was genuinely better. I don't have any complaints
    | against Avast (although the interface and all the skins could use a
    | makeover) but if it wasn't doing its job properly I wouldn't necessarily
    | know!
    | "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com> wrote in message
    | Anyone have an opinion on the best non-free programs...........
    | I just need the Anti-virus protection, not the combo packs with firewall,
    | Email protection, etc.......I don't want the really big companies either
    | like Trend PC, Norton, McAfee, Panda.
    | Any input on Frisk Software's 'F-Prot' ? I don't mind paying an initial
    | up front cost, but I would like to avoid annual fees..............Thanks.
    | deango

    I suggest you ask in a News Group that specializes on anti virus and viruses in general.

    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    --

    M wrote:

    > Can anyone prove that F-Prot is actually better than Avast? I like a

    Whether one anti-virus is better than another often depends on your
    personal habits. ie what may be the best for one user may not be the
    best for another, as each antivirus operates a tad differently.

    Thats why it's always best to have at least 2 anti-virus apps installed.
    Run one 24/7 if you are into that and use the other as a double check.
    Another option is to use an "online" anti-virus as a double check.

    Note that the term "online" antivirus is not really accurate, as the
    "online" author has to send your pc the .exe and .defs for you to run
    the app. locally.

    In addition, many nasty boys target the most popular anti-virus apps and
    their nasty code may disable your 24/7 app. in a second, and even infect
    all your running anti-virus .exes.

    To combat that, you use your backup anti-virus in safe mode which limits
    the chance of the virus running so you can do a proper scan.

    Still, your best bet is to not download a virus in the first place.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    From: "Plato" <|@|.|>

    | M wrote:
    >>
    >> Can anyone prove that F-Prot is actually better than Avast? I like a
    |
    | Whether one anti-virus is better than another often depends on your
    | personal habits. ie what may be the best for one user may not be the
    | best for another, as each antivirus operates a tad differently.
    |
    | Thats why it's always best to have at least 2 anti-virus apps installed.
    | Run one 24/7 if you are into that and use the other as a double check.
    | Another option is to use an "online" anti-virus as a double check.
    |
    | Note that the term "online" antivirus is not really accurate, as the
    | "online" author has to send your pc the .exe and .defs for you to run
    | the app. locally.
    |
    | In addition, many nasty boys target the most popular anti-virus apps and
    | their nasty code may disable your 24/7 app. in a second, and even infect
    | all your running anti-virus .exes.
    |
    | To combat that, you use your backup anti-virus in safe mode which limits
    | the chance of the virus running so you can do a proper scan.
    |
    | Still, your best bet is to not download a virus in the first place.
    |
    | --
    | http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Let me clarify that. Many anti virus applications that run "On Access" scanning can/may
    interfere with each other. Therefore somone not aquainted with the setup and use of various
    anti virus applications should NOT install more than one formally installed AV application.

    However, you can use multiple "On Demand" scanners to back up the full time "On access"
    scanner installed on the PC. These can be online scanners or they can be local scanners.
    Local "On Demand" scanners don'ty have formal installation programs. They are usually a GUI
    or command line scanner. An example of a GUI scanner is the Trend Sysclean utility.
    Examples of command line scanners are from Sophos and McAfee.

    I have created a simple scripted front end to; Trend Sysclean and the command line scanners
    from McAfee and Sophos. None of which have to pre-exist on the PC. The utility will
    download the needed files and scan the system for your. Successive use of the different
    modules will keep each up to date with the latest signature and engines.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    The following is a list of online scanners. Note that some will detect but not remove.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://housecall.antivirus.com

    McAfee Security
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Panda ActiveScan

    Computer Associates:

    DialogueScience:
    http://www.antivir.ru/english/www_av/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    BitDefender
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Freedom Online scanner
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/index.html

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > Let me clarify that. Many anti virus applications that run "On Access" scanning can/may
    > interfere with each other. Therefore somone not aquainted with the setup and use of various
    > anti virus applications should NOT install more than one formally installed AV application.

    All you have to do is not allow the second to run 24/7. Then they wont
    interfere.

    From: "Plato" <|@|.|>

    | All you have to do is not allow the second to run 24/7. Then they wont
    | interfere.

    You said "...not allow the second to run 24/7"
    That is a vague and imprecise statement.

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > | All you have to do is not allow the second to run 24/7. Then they wont
    > | interfere.
    >
    > You said "...not allow the second to run 24/7"
    > That is a vague and imprecise statement.

    24/7 means setting your anti-virus to load on startup and check every
    file that's accessed while doing your work. This happens in the
    background. You have a choice with any anti-virus whether you want to do
    this or not. Just because you have 2 anti-virus programs fully installed
    and updated doesn't mean you have to have both of them running all the
    time aka 24/7 :)

    What is vague or imprecise about the statement? I made perfect sence to me.
    "If you have more than one antivirus, run one at startup and allow it to run
    in the background at all times, use the other for occasional backup use."
    Or, "not allow the second to run 24/7"...

    From: "Plato" <|@|.|>

    ..

    | 24/7 means setting your anti-virus to load on startup and check every
    | file that's accessed while doing your work. This happens in the
    | background. You have a choice with any anti-virus whether you want to do
    | this or not. Just because you have 2 anti-virus programs fully installed
    | and updated doesn't mean you have to have both of them running all the
    | time aka 24/7 :)

    It is still an imprecise statement.
    Two formally installed anti virus products would still be running all the time, as you call
    it 24/7. You should have only one running "On Access" scanning. The other used for "On
    Demand". However, you would also have to manage email scanning. For example you don't want
    two email engines using MAPI ( or VIM ) or two POP3 email Proxy scanners.

    From: "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>

    | What is vague or imprecise about the statement? I made perfect sence to me.
    | "If you have more than one antivirus, run one at startup and allow it to run
    | in the background at all times, use the other for occasional backup use."
    | Or, "not allow the second to run 24/7"...

    Everything !
    Depending if the AV software is loaded as a NT service or if it is loaded via the Registry
    "Run" entries, any formally installed AV aplication would be running in the background when
    the computer is turned on. You would have to remove the service or the Registry entry to
    not load the application.

    As I have noted it is the functionality that has to be disabled. Such constructs as email
    scanning and file "on Access" scanning that need to be looked at.

    This is why such questions are *best* posed in an anti virus News Group for precise
    information, not misinformation.

    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    I am not saying it can't be done. I am saying that the there are specific setup parameters
    need to be examined as
    well as what paired applications are to be implemented. Some just won't work together. I
    haven't even touched the concept of the additional OS overhead.

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > Two formally installed anti virus products would still be running all the time, as you

    Only if you tell both to do so.

    Perhaps this analogy will help you understand. Let's say I install an
    ftp program or whatever. If I dont have it set to run automatically when
    windows loads up it just sits there on the hard drive waiting for me to
    click on the icon to launch it.

    Just because it's installed on my hard drive doesn't mean its running
    when windows loads.

    From: "Plato" <|@|.|>

    | Only if you tell both to do so.
    |
    | Perhaps this analogy will help you understand. Let's say I install an
    | ftp program or whatever. If I dont have it set to run automatically when
    | windows loads up it just sits there on the hard drive waiting for me to
    | click on the icon to launch it.
    |
    | Just because it's installed on my hard drive doesn't mean its running
    | when windows loads.

    You don't get it. A formally installed AV aplication will load either a NT Service(s) or
    will load via the Registry run commands. It WILL be running 24/7. Equating a formally
    installed application to a command line utility is not a rational comparison.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Antivirus Software Windows XP