WD RAPTOR INSTALL WIN 7

lelledge

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hello,Alignment tool and instralling my new WD2500HHTZ - System: Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit -.Options
Mark as NewBookmarkSubscribeSubscribe to RSS FeedHighlightPrintEmail to a FriendReport Inappropriate Content....yesterday

My system is: WD2500HHTZ - System: Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit - Asus Sabertooth Board - 320 WD Blue and 750 black

I want to replace my boot 320 blue (The Boot Drive) with my new WD2500HHTZ - . AF 64MB cach, 10k drive.

I have read that XP requires jumper 7/8 to align other drives and my raptor: Would this also be true of 32 bit win 7 ?

Will I be able to install this drive and move system from old C drive (Blue 320 Drive) to the Raptor and if so, do I need to set jumpers to make it all work together ? If so are they the same as XP (7/8 ) or different ?

I also have external 1 TB WD USB Drive, used to store photos and music, SHLOUD IT BE RUNNING WHEN I MAKE THE CHANGE ?

I have never used the ADVANCED FORMAT DRIVES, in the past and I want to insure that I don't screw up my nearly perfect computer with this change. I'm just looking to improve photoshop usage and boot time without the expense of an SSD

Any help will be appreciated:

Leon

Hi

Windows 7 either recognises the advanced format drives or automatically creates all partitions which are correctly aligned (cant remember which)

If you start from scratch and do a clean install there will be no problems and what follows is not relevant

If you run cloning software to move the contents from old to new disk it will have problems going from 320GB down to 250GB

preparation
run WD hard disk diagnostics on old drive then run chkdsk

then clean out unwanted files with ccleaner , possibly clear out old restore points, (empty recycle bin)

use something like gparted or parted magic or one of several freeware programs to reduce partition size to less than 250GB
(remember disk size in GB is multiple of 10^9 according to disk manufacturers but Windows thinks it is 1024^3) so about 285GiB and 220GiB)

Then clone old drive to new drive
(I leave choice to you best to use program you are familiur with)
WD has a drive alignment utility available for download

Have you purchased the New hard disk yet ?

recently I replaced a WD Raptor 80GB 10k rpm sata I boot drive for a 120GB SSD (OCZ) the speed improvement / startup time is massive

regards

Mike Barnes

lelledge

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Hi

Some software clones hard drives ( mbr + all partitions), some only clone partitions, some can do either

A XP formatted drive consists of (at least) one partition which is easy to clone.

Vista & 7 a minimum of two partitions. first a very small hidden 100 Meg partition with the boot manager system followed by the main partition C:

I am not sure of best software to use or recommend

However WD has cloning software available for download [Acronis True Image WD Edition]

I have a XP Partition followed by a Windows 7 partitions and the boot manager system folder [ Boot ] is in the XP partition.

regards

Mike Barnes

lelledge

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks again Mike ! That seems to be the correct solution. WD agrees as well as Asus. I appreciate the help and now feel confident it will all work out fine. Now I just have to wait for Christmas to install the drive. My wife thinks it is not right to do that before I officially receive it.
Thanks again.