blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, have to tell every body out here that I am very isappointed in my "upgrade" from nForce2, XP1700+ to 875P, Pee4-2600C with DOUBLE memory or XP PC. I though it will (kindo of) speed up my "duing business" office/apps "jumping around", but it is actually takes a moment (actually few of them) to think "what was the command?", then it shows the Access welcome screen, then it kind of starting to show some of the window, then draws the rest of it. It is VERY disappointing to spend $500+ on an upgrade which is not even performs equally to my lower grade machine, I am not telling even that my UT playing is chopy now and Windows load time almost doubled.

What's up with that? Am I do something wrong. Same OS and softwares, but I did have a GXP drive on the XP box, this one has Seagate 7000.7 or whatever the thing is, same size though. Any body can tell what's up with Pee4 these days? Caz I am thinking selling the thing and go back to my nForce box with buying Barton to it.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
Somrthing just isn't right. I had a Athlon 1900+ (1.6gig) and 1.5 Gig of pc 133 ram. It worked well, but I can realy notice the difference since I upgrraded to my P4C 3.0 and 1 Gig of pc400 ram and I only have the 865PE chipset. Boot is much faster, programs come up and run faster-defrag takes about half the time, don't get me started about Far Cry. Here are starting questions: what kind and how much ram on Athlon system/P4? Is it the same kind.ie speed? Have you tried putting the hard drive from the Athlon on the P4? Is the P4 a B or C type-533 or 800 Mhz FSB. Are you using the same cards (video...) on the new system, what size power supply?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The RAM on XP box 300W was Crucial 2100x256MB, the P4C box 350W has Crucial 4000x512MB. I will put HD into it, just to find out what is coasing it, caz this aint right, I mean come on, twice the speed and same response from the programs. On XP I had 440MX, on P4C Radeon 9200 (has to be a bit faster in UT), I don't need super-pooper Vid, caz I don't play nothing but UT, but I'll swap those too to see the difference.

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Download pcmark and benchmark and then compare it to simular systems and that should tell you if your p4 is proforming up to par.

Aquamark score of 34,306 Goal 38,000
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=612704152</A>

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
On then desktop right click my computer and goto properties. Does the system see the processor as 2.6 gig? Does it have the proper front side bus speed. How is the processor temp-high. P4's have processor throtting when they get too hot. is yours a 533 or 800Mhz bus speed?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The temp always around 38-43C, load or not. Runs at 216MHz 1:1 with memory to bring it up to 2.8Gs, stable, no quirks or glitches once it in Windows. It just plain slow for that kind of speed and after entering password and hitting ok it sits with blank screen for about a minute before the desktop shows up. Very weird for w2k.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
check your system log to see what is causing the slow bootup. Very often it is something as trivial as DHCP failing, and simply setting a static IP address solves it.

As for the application speed, as someone else noted, run a few benchmarks and see if your system is within reasonable distance of comparable systems. If it is, it might just be that you're running one of those apps that favours K7 over P4, but even there I have a hard time believing it would actually be noticeably slower.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You say you're using W2K...

<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm" target="_new">http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm</A>:
The following desktop operating systems are <b>not</b> recommended for use with Hyper-Threading Technology. If you are using one of the following desktop operating systems, it is advised that you should disable Hyper-Threading Technology in the system BIOS Setup program:

<b>Microsoft Windows 2000 (all versions) </b>
Microsoft Windows NT* 4.0
Microsoft Windows Me
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 SE

I am sure I've seen others say they're using W2K + HT with no problems though so maybe the issue has been addressed in a service pack or something?

I would suggest you make sure you have ALL the available service packs/windows updates installed, and if it's still a problem see if disabling Hyperthreading in the BIOS helps.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It has a static IP, DHCP is a DSL router.

I don't think MS Office and mySQL favours K7 much more than P4. I did run the Sandra, it sais I am little over P4-2.66G and under P4-3G, so that is fine.

PS: so if views stated herein are not necessarily your wife'z, that means that they still can be, or am I confused?

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>I don't think MS Office and mySQL favours K7 much more than
>P4

I have to wonder how you'd distinguish between even your PC and a P3-500 using MS Office.. ?

As for mySQL, if Athlon 64 FX versus Pentium 4 EE results can show anything on AXP versus P4, have a look <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000291" target="_new"> here </A> the FX outperforms the otherwise roughly comparable P4EE by as much as <b>60</b>%.

Now its anyone's guess if this is because of some A64/FX specific features (like the ODMC), but its quite likely even the Barton would be a much better cpu for this app than a P4.

>PS: so if views stated herein are not necessarily your
>wife'z, that means that they still can be

She doesn't necessarily share my views, no, especially not when it comes to things like 'its time to upgrade my pc' ;)
However, the sig was mostly a stab at Rayston's, which was a disclaimer he was not stating offical intel propaganda, just his personal propagada and wishfull thinking.. ;)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

miniklobb

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
did you do a complete reinstall of windows, and if so make sure your video drivers are up to date from ati's website. i found the drivers that came with my 9800 work better then the newer ones so try both, when i updated the drivers i experienced similar problems.

P4 2.8c
Seagate 160g 7200rpm 8mb cache
2x256 Crucial PC3200
Radeon 9800pro 128
Asus P4P800

dhlucke

Polypheme
Still too stuborn to use WXP? LOL

<font color=red>_______________________________________
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am thinking it is a Radeon, caz when I had PCI in it it was fine, but I will check on it tonight to be 101% sure. I did install a couple of times, but never tried ATI's drivers, used only the ones that came with the card.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am no stuborn at all (yeah, right;) but just trying to keep my nervous system intact for a little longer. LOL

dhlucke

Polypheme
hah!

<font color=red>_______________________________________
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate