The past couple of days, every once in awhile, when I try to turn the
computer off from start menu nothing happens. I will try hitting the turn
off button again and then after a minute or so everything on the desktop
will disappear except for the desktop picture and the pointer. Then I have
to hit the boot button to turn it off.
This seems to have started since I upgraded my PeerGuardian. Earlier this
year I tried to upgrade the PG but my computer acted up and I had to get rid
of the upgrade.
Can anyone think what might be going wrong without me deleting the upgrade?

BsT

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Beowulfie wrote:

> The past couple of days, every once in awhile, when I try to turn the
> computer off from start menu nothing happens. I will try hitting the turn
> off button again and then after a minute or so everything on the desktop
> will disappear except for the desktop picture and the pointer. Then I have
> to hit the boot button to turn it off.
> This seems to have started since I upgraded my PeerGuardian. Earlier this
> year I tried to upgrade the PG but my computer acted up and I had to get rid
> of the upgrade.
> Can anyone think what might be going wrong without me deleting the upgrade?
>
> BsT

You might want to ask the makers of Peer Guardian.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Beowulfie wrote:
>
>> The past couple of days, every once in awhile, when I try to turn the
>> computer off from start menu nothing happens. I will try hitting the
>> turn
>> off button again and then after a minute or so everything on the desktop
>> will disappear except for the desktop picture and the pointer. Then I
>> have
>> to hit the boot button to turn it off.
>> This seems to have started since I upgraded my PeerGuardian. Earlier
>> this
>> year I tried to upgrade the PG but my computer acted up and I had to get
>> rid
>> of the upgrade.
>> Can anyone think what might be going wrong without me deleting the
>> upgrade?

Occasionally my PC won't close down when asked to. I have to hit the boot
button. And I don't have PeerGuardian.

Rob Graham

Then you may wish investigate as what programs (or malware) are running
when your shutdown is ignored. (See Taskmanager)

Rob graham wrote:

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Beowulfie wrote:
>>

>>>The past couple of days, every once in awhile, when I try to turn the
>>>computer off from start menu nothing happens. I will try hitting the
>>>turn
>>>off button again and then after a minute or so everything on the desktop
>>>will disappear except for the desktop picture and the pointer. Then I
>>>have
>>>to hit the boot button to turn it off.
>>>This seems to have started since I upgraded my PeerGuardian. Earlier
>>>this
>>>year I tried to upgrade the PG but my computer acted up and I had to get
>>>rid
>>>of the upgrade.
>>>Can anyone think what might be going wrong without me deleting the
>>>upgrade?
>>>

> Occasionally my PC won't close down when asked to. I have to hit the boot
> button. And I don't have PeerGuardian.
>
> Rob Graham

Rock

Distinguished