How to change my ip address in windows 7 as a poker site has banned me due to my

flykiwi

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
my lady went on my laptop while i was out she tried to make a poker account for a poker site they clicked that from my laptop that this would be 2 accounts so they put a block on my lappy which i cant sign in to play no more i can go on my ladys laptop no problems we both live in same house but its just my laptop that has been blocked anyone that can help would be gr8 ty

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
If they are blocking your machine and not the other from the same location then they are doing it in 1 of 2 ways:

1.) There is a file or registry key somewhere on the machine.
2.) The MAC address of the machine.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

As does your comment :/.

@OP I would agree with Skippy. Best thing you can do is find a customer support # give them a call and explain the situation. They may not allow the "machine" to be unblocked thou.

flykiwi

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Yes blocking my laptop but not her's................

I'm running windows 7 What kind of file would be in the registry key?

Is it best i reset the ip through router and then delete the poker site and re download again?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Flykiwi I think your misunderstanding.. The IP address that the poker site see's is the same for yours and your lady's.
What Skippy is explaining is that it can be a Registry key, (i would not touch that) going to cause you more issues (severe ones) If you don't know exactly what your doing.
Or it's blocked by your MAC address. A Mac address is unique to the individual machine. Your Mac Address is different then your lady's machine. Hence why it would only be blocking your machine from logging in.

The issue cannot be IP related. *edit* Shouldn't say Cannot.. More like probably not*

flykiwi

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Ok thank you Sorry new to all this tech stuff lol

So if my lady turned off router this would give me a new ip address ?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Not always, it's up to your ISP to assign your IP address to the central device on your connection (usually your router). From there your router gives computers a local IP address that is just for your network. Most ISPs will go out of their way to reassign the same IP to a modem. With comcast, I won't get a new IP even if I unplug for 5 or 6 days usually (I unplug everything when I travel).

If the two laptops (one working and one not) are on the same network, they will have the same public ip from your ISP; if one works and one doesn't, then your IP isn't how they blocked you. Other methods, as stated above are by MAC address of your laptop, by your account, or by a file on your computer.

As others suggested, try calling the company first. They want to protect against cheating, but their records should be able to show you weren't playing two accounts at once (assuming you were not), and a human maybe able to make a determination to restore your access without working around their system (which could get you more trouble).

MC_K7

Distinguished
@flykiwi

Forget about trying to find a way around this, we're trying to explain you it would be too complicated from a technical point of view. Not saying it's impossible, but it would be too much time and effort, not to mention it requires advanced network knowledge which obviously you don't have.

Here's the easiest & fastest way: Just contact the site technical support and ask them to unblock you, or find another site to play poker.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

And just to add to this. Finding a "work around" Could end up getting your account banned permanently along with whatever amount of money you've made / invested. Should defiantly just call them. I know when i played party poker (years ago) They wouldn't allow two machines within the same network in the same room. (kept people from ganging up on other people to make more money). That's most likely what this site is trying to limit as well.

You were blocked for a reason. If you don't feel like you should be blocked then call them and ask them to remove the block. It may be a very simple fix, but you are making it harder than it really should be which makes me suspect that you don't want to call them.
Take you laptop to Starbucks, get on their wireless, and connect to the site there. This will rule out the IP address easily.

If it is still blocked, go back home, connect your laptop to the router through an Ethernet cable(disconnect wireless). This will rule out the Mac address.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

+1 thats a pretty good way to narrow things down. Be aware of the security risk in connecting your account in a public space. Not too much harm could come as it's a blocked account, but best to change your password asap afterward.