Back up operating system

Help, I have lost all of the original software copies for my Dell computer.
Is there anyway to back up Windows XP Home, Microsoft Office 2003 ect ? I
also have other software that came loaded on the computer is there anyway to
back those up? I have searched my house and cannot find the discs. Any advice
will be greatly appreciated.
Denise
4 answers Last reply
More about back operating system

    Denise wrote:

    > Help, I have lost all of the original software copies for my Dell
    > computer. Is there anyway to back up Windows XP Home, Microsoft Office
    > 2003 ect ? I also have other software that came loaded on the computer
    > is there anyway to back those up? I have searched my house and cannot
    > find the discs. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    > Denise

    No, I'm sorry but there is no way to reproduce those programs from what
    is on your hard drive. Try contacting Dell and perhaps they can send
    you replacements. Otherwise, you'll have to buy replacements.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Try Acronis True Image......
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/
    It will let you "image" your present drive/partition onto another drive or a
    partition on another drive or a DVD/CD and make that drive bootable.

    When trouble strikes you just "restore" the image or change HD,whichever way
    you decided to go.

    Dell would of course let you repurchase everything that came with you system
    originally.

    peterk

    Denise wrote:

    > Help, I have lost all of the original software copies for my Dell computer.
    > Is there anyway to back up Windows XP Home, Microsoft Office 2003 ect ? I
    > also have other software that came loaded on the computer is there anyway to
    > back those up? I have searched my house and cannot find the discs. Any advice
    > will be greatly appreciated.
    > Denise

    If you mean is there a way to extract programs and the OS from the
    current installation so it can be reinstalled as if you had the original
    media, then no. It is possible, however, to backup your system as it is
    so you have it in case something goes wrong. One should always have a
    complete backup, data loss is a matter of when not if.

    There are several approaches for backup. One is to use an imaging
    program. This makes an exact image of the drive or partition(s) which
    can be saved on CD/DVD or to another drive - internal or external.
    Restores can be done of the entire partition or individual files /
    folders. These work well and make it easy to recover from a drive crash.
    I recommend storing the images on an external drive or CD/DVD rather
    than an internal drive. Examples of this type of program are:

    Norton Ghost 9.0
    Acronis True Image
    Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows
    Terabyte Unlimited's BootItNg

    The second option is a traditional backup program such as Stompsoft's
    Backup My PC. This is an excellent tool. It is the evolution of
    ntbackup. There are other good backup programs out there as well. This
    can do a complete backup or backup individual files and folders to
    DVD/CD and other drives.

    Another choice is ntbackup which is installed by default in XP Pro but
    not Home [note some OEMs do not install ntbackup even on the Pro
    version]. If it's not installed check the XP installation CD in the
    \MSFT\ValueADD\Ntbackup folder as ntbackup.msi or download it from here:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    Ntbackup cannot backup to DVD and will only backup to CD if other 3rd
    party CD burning software is available and even with that it will not
    span CDs, i.e. one CD is the limit, which is not very practical. It is
    geared toward tape drives or other hard drives. It will work ok in
    backing up to an external hard drive (or network drive) and restoring
    individual files / folders is ok, but if you need to restore the
    complete drive it's cumbersome. XP must be installed first. If you
    have XP Pro, Ntbackup has an ASR feature (Automated System Recovery)
    which makes this restore of a boot/system drive easier but still it
    takes much longer than an imaging program, and I never got it to restore
    my system to full functionality as it was when the backup was made. It
    also mandates that a floppy drive be available. One floppy disk is
    created in the ASR process and there is no way around that. ASR is not
    available on XP Home addition.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Without leading you down the road to imaging, which is NOT what you asked
    for, the answer is no period.

    Since you got a Dell, believe you have to go to them for XP. Office depends
    where you got it from. Etc. could be almost anything.

    Store the install CDs in a safe place from prying hands. Some may be
    sharing your stuff with friends.

    "Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Help, I have lost all of the original software copies for my Dell
    computer.
    > Is there anyway to back up Windows XP Home, Microsoft Office 2003 ect ? I
    > also have other software that came loaded on the computer is there anyway
    > back those up? I have searched my house and cannot find the discs. Any
    advice
    > will be greatly appreciated.
    > Denise

Computers Software Windows XP