Why is Stern so Secretive?

I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
previews of new product comming to market. Youd think Stern
would do this as well to build anticipation twords a new
machine. It's pretty sad that Sterns website is the last place
you get to see a new machine. Thanks to the Korn and other
RGPers we get to see these machines at least a few weeks in
advance. If they have a WSOP machine built they should be showing
it now. Thanks for letting me ramble
John
14 answers Last reply
More about stern secretive

    Because people might not buy the latest release if they know what the
    next one will be.

    I agree with you, John. I've heard the arguments against and I don't
    find them compelling, especially because there's no competition. Back
    when there were multiple manufacturers, I could understand the
    secretiveness. Just look at the Pinball Magic/TOM controversy.

    When Monopoly was in the design stages, I toured the factory and met
    with Gary Stern and some other people. Gary was tight-lipped and would
    only discuss Austin Powers, the game on the assembly line back then. I
    had to speak with another employee(who shall remain nameless, if he's
    even still there) to find out that PLD was doing the next game, and
    that it was going to be Monopoly.

    John

    I agree 100%. Its a very poor marketing move. They should be building
    up hype at least 30-60 days before a machine is released. Give us a
    few pics and a description on game play.

    Maybe if they did this they would get some feedback on some of the sad
    ass toy figures they have put on past machines and correct them before
    its released.

    Just had the same issue with a Corvette I just bought. Couldn't find
    any info on the 06 model. Found out that GM introduced a new tranny for
    the 06's and was completely hush-hush about it (the whole car) for fear
    the remaining 05's wouldn't move.

    -Jeff

    There "NOT" secetitive it's all about who you know ..I have a major
    contact and can see daily pictures of and new Stern Pinball in the
    makeing,but belive me its a "SLOW" process at that

    davepaiste@aol.com wrote:
    > There "NOT" secetitive it's all about who you know ..I have a major
    > contact and can see daily pictures of and new Stern Pinball in the
    > makeing,but belive me its a "SLOW" process at that

    There's a difference between "secretive" and "not posting to their
    'buddies' on RGP"

    So their distributors can sell the games they have on hand instead of ops
    waiting for the next model. LTG :)

    <john041160@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
    > about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
    > Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
    > previews of new product comming to market. Youd think Stern
    > would do this as well to build anticipation twords a new
    > machine. It's pretty sad that Sterns website is the last place
    > you get to see a new machine. Thanks to the Korn and other
    > RGPers we get to see these machines at least a few weeks in
    > advance. If they have a WSOP machine built they should be showing
    > it now. Thanks for letting me ramble
    > John

    Smart of them.

    --
    -Doug

    "Jeff Beyer" <drjbeyer@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Just had the same issue with a Corvette I just bought. Couldn't find
    > any info on the 06 model. Found out that GM introduced a new tranny for
    > the 06's and was completely hush-hush about it (the whole car) for fear
    > the remaining 05's wouldn't move.
    >
    > -Jeff

    you could order a Crock hunter or buy a BBB. Lots of talk on those 2.

    seems like the guys that hype it up spend more time talking that
    building :)

    In article <1124212850.769814.267570@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <john041160@aol.com> wrote:
    >I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
    >about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
    >Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
    >previews of new product comming to market.

    However, Stern doesn't (at least not yet) sell a consumer product. It's a
    a far different market than the market for refrigerators and dishwashers.
    Total quantities are much smaller than any consumer product (or just about
    anything made by GE, except perhaps individual models of aircraft
    engines). Yes, the market may be driven by the player or home buyer in
    the end, but not so much for the game coming off the line and being sold
    new.

    Operators hear about new titles just as quickly as people here, don't
    think for a moment that Stern's website is their first source of info.
    Stern certainly doesn't benefit from operators waiting for a big title -
    then again sometimes operators who do wait for a big title get burned if
    the game doesn't live up to the name.

    Also, you don't see the big consumer electronics companies touting
    breakthroughs too far in advance.

    My 2 cents,

    Orin

    --
    Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
    lobster @ |

    <john041160@aol.com> wrote:

    > I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
    > about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
    > Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
    > previews of new product comming to market. Youd think Stern
    > would do this as well to build anticipation twords a new
    > machine.

    Nah. They want to sell what's on the line now, because people may not
    have the money later.

    > Just had the same issue with a Corvette I just bought. Couldn't find
    > any info on the 06 model. Found out that GM introduced a new tranny for
    > the 06's and was completely hush-hush about it (the whole car) for fear
    > the remaining 05's wouldn't move.

    Of course, cars being cars, there's every possibility that this new
    tranny will have a life expectancy of 4000 miles more than the
    way-too-short warranties that US manufacturers give, and it would be
    better to get the 05s now...

    pinballjim wrote:
    > Because people might not buy the latest release if they know what the
    > next one will be.

    This in fact is exactly the right answer. Williams was as secretive as
    Stern was back when they were making pinball. Stern can't afford to
    have a machine "tank," which is exactly what they might be facing if
    they revealed machines much before their ship date.

    Suppose RCT was the machine before LOTR. Stern is smart enough to know
    that LOTR is a stronger license, and that they wouldn't sell any of the
    former if people knew the latter were coming out.

    EastIowaAmusement@gmail.com wrote:
    > you could order a Crock hunter or buy a BBB. Lots of talk on those 2.
    >
    > seems like the guys that hype it up spend more time talking that
    > building :)

    Anyone remember the Williams "close outs"?
    Thats why...
    Also why Stern does such small runs. Basically like Corvettes someone
    mentioned. There is not ONE corvette built until it is sold. I took the
    tour in Bowling green and was amazed that every vet in there was a sold
    product. That's some pretty smart biz. I also was looking at the 05's
    but not only was the tranny changing but we saw the return of the Z06
    for 2006 down there at the time and new that was coming. That car was
    500 horse compared to the 400 on the standard Vette.

    And as far as that BBB project...I laugh at the thought of anyone who
    actually gave "the snake" (as I refer to him) a dime.
    That game will never happen and IF by chance it does...be assured it
    will be a POS at best. That guy is a friggin JOKE!

Games Video Games