  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 16, 2005 2:20:50 PM

I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
previews of new product comming to market. Youd think Stern
would do this as well to build anticipation twords a new
machine. It's pretty sad that Sterns website is the last place
you get to see a new machine. Thanks to the Korn and other
RGPers we get to see these machines at least a few weeks in
advance. If they have a WSOP machine built they should be showing
it now. Thanks for letting me ramble
John

More about : stern secretive

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:24:23 PM

Because people might not buy the latest release if they know what the
next one will be.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:29:10 PM

I agree with you, John. I've heard the arguments against and I don't
find them compelling, especially because there's no competition. Back
when there were multiple manufacturers, I could understand the
secretiveness. Just look at the Pinball Magic/TOM controversy.

When Monopoly was in the design stages, I toured the factory and met
with Gary Stern and some other people. Gary was tight-lipped and would
only discuss Austin Powers, the game on the assembly line back then. I
had to speak with another employee(who shall remain nameless, if he's
even still there) to find out that PLD was doing the next game, and
that it was going to be Monopoly.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 16, 2005 2:30:00 PM

John

I agree 100%. Its a very poor marketing move. They should be building
up hype at least 30-60 days before a machine is released. Give us a
few pics and a description on game play.

Maybe if they did this they would get some feedback on some of the sad
ass toy figures they have put on past machines and correct them before
its released.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:34:51 PM

Just had the same issue with a Corvette I just bought. Couldn't find
any info on the 06 model. Found out that GM introduced a new tranny for
the 06's and was completely hush-hush about it (the whole car) for fear
the remaining 05's wouldn't move.

-Jeff
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:43:25 PM

There "NOT" secetitive it's all about who you know ..I have a major
contact and can see daily pictures of and new Stern Pinball in the
makeing,but belive me its a "SLOW" process at that
August 16, 2005 3:02:54 PM

davepaiste@aol.com wrote:
> There "NOT" secetitive it's all about who you know ..I have a major
> contact and can see daily pictures of and new Stern Pinball in the
> makeing,but belive me its a "SLOW" process at that

There's a difference between "secretive" and "not posting to their
'buddies' on RGP"
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:32:56 PM

So their distributors can sell the games they have on hand instead of ops
waiting for the next model. LTG :)

<john041160@aol.com> wrote in message
> I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
> about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
> Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
> previews of new product comming to market. Youd think Stern
> would do this as well to build anticipation twords a new
> machine. It's pretty sad that Sterns website is the last place
> you get to see a new machine. Thanks to the Korn and other
> RGPers we get to see these machines at least a few weeks in
> advance. If they have a WSOP machine built they should be showing
> it now. Thanks for letting me ramble
> John

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:42:31 PM

Smart of them.

--
-Doug

"Jeff Beyer" <drjbeyer@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just had the same issue with a Corvette I just bought. Couldn't find
> any info on the 06 model. Found out that GM introduced a new tranny for
> the 06's and was completely hush-hush about it (the whole car) for fear
> the remaining 05's wouldn't move.
>
> -Jeff

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:17:36 PM

you could order a Crock hunter or buy a BBB. Lots of talk on those 2.

seems like the guys that hype it up spend more time talking that
building :)
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 1:08:09 AM

In article <1124212850.769814.267570@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<john041160@aol.com> wrote:
>I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
>about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
>Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
>previews of new product comming to market.

However, Stern doesn't (at least not yet) sell a consumer product. It's a
a far different market than the market for refrigerators and dishwashers.
Total quantities are much smaller than any consumer product (or just about
anything made by GE, except perhaps individual models of aircraft
engines). Yes, the market may be driven by the player or home buyer in
the end, but not so much for the game coming off the line and being sold
new.

Operators hear about new titles just as quickly as people here, don't
think for a moment that Stern's website is their first source of info.
Stern certainly doesn't benefit from operators waiting for a big title -
then again sometimes operators who do wait for a big title get burned if
the game doesn't live up to the name.

Also, you don't see the big consumer electronics companies touting
breakthroughs too far in advance.

My 2 cents,

Orin

--
Orin Day | Women's Basketball Photos at http://www.dwhoops.com
lobster @ |

<john041160@aol.com> wrote:

> I guess I just don't understand why Stern is so secretive
> about there new machine release's. I sell applainces and my
> Venders such as Whirpool GE and others love to give us advance
> previews of new product comming to market. Youd think Stern
> would do this as well to build anticipation twords a new
> machine.

Nah. They want to sell what's on the line now, because people may not
have the money later.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:10:05 AM

> Just had the same issue with a Corvette I just bought. Couldn't find
> any info on the 06 model. Found out that GM introduced a new tranny for
> the 06's and was completely hush-hush about it (the whole car) for fear
> the remaining 05's wouldn't move.

Of course, cars being cars, there's every possibility that this new
tranny will have a life expectancy of 4000 miles more than the
way-too-short warranties that US manufacturers give, and it would be
better to get the 05s now...
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:06:23 AM

pinballjim wrote:
> Because people might not buy the latest release if they know what the
> next one will be.

This in fact is exactly the right answer. Williams was as secretive as
Stern was back when they were making pinball. Stern can't afford to
have a machine "tank," which is exactly what they might be facing if
they revealed machines much before their ship date.

Suppose RCT was the machine before LOTR. Stern is smart enough to know
that LOTR is a stronger license, and that they wouldn't sell any of the
former if people knew the latter were coming out.
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 10:14:50 AM

EastIowaAmusement@gmail.com wrote:
> you could order a Crock hunter or buy a BBB. Lots of talk on those 2.
>
> seems like the guys that hype it up spend more time talking that
> building :)

Anyone remember the Williams "close outs"?
Thats why...
Also why Stern does such small runs. Basically like Corvettes someone
mentioned. There is not ONE corvette built until it is sold. I took the
tour in Bowling green and was amazed that every vet in there was a sold
product. That's some pretty smart biz. I also was looking at the 05's
but not only was the tranny changing but we saw the return of the Z06
for 2006 down there at the time and new that was coming. That car was
500 horse compared to the 400 on the standard Vette.

And as far as that BBB project...I laugh at the thought of anyone who
actually gave "the snake" (as I refer to him) a dime.
That game will never happen and IF by chance it does...be assured it
will be a POS at best. That guy is a friggin JOKE!
!