Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP Professional and activation code questions

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:27:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the windows
operating software and the product activation code .

I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer right? So
does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
computer?

Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my hard
drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:28:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

legally yes you have to buy a copy of XP with every computer, but you can
install XP on the one PC as many times as you want. but if you gut the PC and
put some of the parts in another Pc such as the mobo, call microsofts
activation people and tell them your trying to install it again and its the
same PC u got with it, and they will read you a key. dont do this too many
times though. =P

"JazzyO" wrote:

> Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the windows
> operating software and the product activation code .
>
> I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer right? So
> does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
> computer?
>
> Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my hard
> drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:45:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thank you very much. Boy, somebody is making out like a bandit and it's not
the consumer. Is there not like another activation code you could buy for the
new computer that wuld be chaeaper than buying the whole operating software
again?

J.


"Higgins" wrote:

> legally yes you have to buy a copy of XP with every computer, but you can
> install XP on the one PC as many times as you want. but if you gut the PC and
> put some of the parts in another Pc such as the mobo, call microsofts
> activation people and tell them your trying to install it again and its the
> same PC u got with it, and they will read you a key. dont do this too many
> times though. =P
>
> "JazzyO" wrote:
>
> > Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the windows
> > operating software and the product activation code .
> >
> > I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer right? So
> > does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
> > computer?
> >
> > Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my hard
> > drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
Related resources
September 16, 2005 10:53:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JazzyO wrote:

> Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the windows
> operating software and the product activation code .
>
> I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer right? So
> does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
> computer?
>
> Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my hard
> drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?

Depends on the type of XP. For retail versions it can be reinstalled on
the same computer as many times as you want and it can be moved to
another computer as long as it is removed from the first one.

OEM versions can be reinstalled on the same computer as many times as
you want, but they are tied to the first computer on which they are
installed and can't be transferred.

Read the EULA to get more information.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:03:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sorry, what is the EULA?

"Rock" wrote:

> JazzyO wrote:
>
> > Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the windows
> > operating software and the product activation code .
> >
> > I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer right? So
> > does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
> > computer?
> >
> > Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my hard
> > drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
>
> Depends on the type of XP. For retail versions it can be reinstalled on
> the same computer as many times as you want and it can be moved to
> another computer as long as it is removed from the first one.
>
> OEM versions can be reinstalled on the same computer as many times as
> you want, but they are tied to the first computer on which they are
> installed and can't be transferred.
>
> Read the EULA to get more information.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
>
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:13:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement
("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual
or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft
software product identified above, which includes computer
software and may include associated media, printed materials,
"online" or electronic documentation, and Internet-based ...

and so it goes, on and on and on...

"JazzyO" <JazzyO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C5491983-BF57-4D99-BB91-89A89CE064C9@microsoft.com...
> Sorry, what is the EULA?
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> JazzyO wrote:
>>
>> > Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the
>> > windows
>> > operating software and the product activation code .
>> >
>> > I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer
>> > right? So
>> > does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
>> > computer?
>> >
>> > Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my
>> > hard
>> > drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
>>
>> Depends on the type of XP. For retail versions it can be reinstalled on
>> the same computer as many times as you want and it can be moved to
>> another computer as long as it is removed from the first one.
>>
>> OEM versions can be reinstalled on the same computer as many times as
>> you want, but they are tied to the first computer on which they are
>> installed and can't be transferred.
>>
>> Read the EULA to get more information.
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>
>>
September 17, 2005 6:02:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

MS sells additional licences but it would be cheaper to by a generic OEM at
a place like Walmarts.

Alias

"JazzyO" <JazzyO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Thank you very much. Boy, somebody is making out like a bandit and it's
> not
> the consumer. Is there not like another activation code you could buy for
> the
> new computer that wuld be chaeaper than buying the whole operating
> software
> again?
>
> J.
>
>
> "Higgins" wrote:
>
>> legally yes you have to buy a copy of XP with every computer, but you can
>> install XP on the one PC as many times as you want. but if you gut the PC
>> and
>> put some of the parts in another Pc such as the mobo, call microsofts
>> activation people and tell them your trying to install it again and its
>> the
>> same PC u got with it, and they will read you a key. dont do this too
>> many
>> times though. =P
>>
>> "JazzyO" wrote:
>>
>> > Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the
>> > windows
>> > operating software and the product activation code .
>> >
>> > I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer
>> > right? So
>> > does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
>> > computer?
>> >
>> > Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my
>> > hard
>> > drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 6:02:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Very interesting I'm up in Canada and I don't think we have the generic OEM
in the Walmarts up here, least ways I've never heard of them before. This
generic OEM works just like XP? This is great info so please elaborate a
little if you could.

"Alias" wrote:

> MS sells additional licences but it would be cheaper to by a generic OEM at
> a place like Walmarts.
>
> Alias
>
> "JazzyO" <JazzyO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > Thank you very much. Boy, somebody is making out like a bandit and it's
> > not
> > the consumer. Is there not like another activation code you could buy for
> > the
> > new computer that wuld be chaeaper than buying the whole operating
> > software
> > again?
> >
> > J.
> >
> >
> > "Higgins" wrote:
> >
> >> legally yes you have to buy a copy of XP with every computer, but you can
> >> install XP on the one PC as many times as you want. but if you gut the PC
> >> and
> >> put some of the parts in another Pc such as the mobo, call microsofts
> >> activation people and tell them your trying to install it again and its
> >> the
> >> same PC u got with it, and they will read you a key. dont do this too
> >> many
> >> times though. =P
> >>
> >> "JazzyO" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the
> >> > windows
> >> > operating software and the product activation code .
> >> >
> >> > I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer
> >> > right? So
> >> > does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a new
> >> > computer?
> >> >
> >> > Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat my
> >> > hard
> >> > drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
>
>
>
September 17, 2005 6:34:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"JazzyO" <JazzyO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Very interesting I'm up in Canada and I don't think we have the generic
> OEM
> in the Walmarts up here, least ways I've never heard of them before. This
> generic OEM works just like XP? This is great info so please elaborate a
> little if you could.

Generic OEMs and Retail are the same thing except MS "allows" you to move a
Retail to another computer and will not "allow" you to move an OEM (course
they never specify if and when upgrading a computer consitutes a new
computer, much to their credit). An OEM cannot be used to upgrade from
98/Me/2000 but it can do a repair install.

I don't know where you can get them in Canada.

Alias
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> MS sells additional licences but it would be cheaper to by a generic OEM
>> at
>> a place like Walmarts.
>>
>> Alias
>>
>> "JazzyO" <JazzyO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > Thank you very much. Boy, somebody is making out like a bandit and it's
>> > not
>> > the consumer. Is there not like another activation code you could buy
>> > for
>> > the
>> > new computer that wuld be chaeaper than buying the whole operating
>> > software
>> > again?
>> >
>> > J.
>> >
>> >
>> > "Higgins" wrote:
>> >
>> >> legally yes you have to buy a copy of XP with every computer, but you
>> >> can
>> >> install XP on the one PC as many times as you want. but if you gut the
>> >> PC
>> >> and
>> >> put some of the parts in another Pc such as the mobo, call microsofts
>> >> activation people and tell them your trying to install it again and
>> >> its
>> >> the
>> >> same PC u got with it, and they will read you a key. dont do this too
>> >> many
>> >> times though. =P
>> >>
>> >> "JazzyO" wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the
>> >> > windows
>> >> > operating software and the product activation code .
>> >> >
>> >> > I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer
>> >> > right? So
>> >> > does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when I buy a
>> >> > new
>> >> > computer?
>> >> >
>> >> > Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat
>> >> > my
>> >> > hard
>> >> > drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs replacing?
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:59:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JazzyO wrote:
> Thank you very much. Boy, somebody is making out like a bandit ....
>


Like your employer, do you mean? Are you content to work 5 days a week
as longer as you're paid only for Monday?

Simple common sense says that, regardless of price, if you buy and pay
for only _one_ item, _one_ is all you get. Nothing could be plainer.
This principle remains the same whether you're buying a physical
product, a service, or a software license. Anyone who expects it to be
otherwise is not fully partaking of reality. Does your local grocer let
you walk out of the market with three loaves of bread when you've paid
for only one? Can you drive two cars home from the dealership if you've
paid for only one? Does your local clothier allow you to leave the shop
with two shirts if you've purchased only one? Have you noticed a trend,
yet? In the simplest of terms, you get what you pay for. If you want
to install the same OS on multiple computers, either purchase multiple
licenses, a volume license, or an OS whose license permits multiple
installations, such as Linux.



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 6:41:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"=?Utf-8?B?SGlnZ2lucw==?=" <Higgins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:C51D1468-145F-4364-AA00-5782629FE24A@microsoft.com:


Not quite so. If you have the retal version, you can reformat the drive
in the old computer and install XP on the new. OEM becomes dicey.

> legally yes you have to buy a copy of XP with every computer, but you
> can install XP on the one PC as many times as you want. but if you gut
> the PC and put some of the parts in another Pc such as the mobo, call
> microsofts activation people and tell them your trying to install it
> again and its the same PC u got with it, and they will read you a key.
> dont do this too many times though. =P
>
> "JazzyO" wrote:
>
>> Sorry I'm new at this so I have a couple questions concerning the
>> windows operating software and the product activation code .
>>
>> I understand I cannot instal windows XP on more than one computer
>> right? So does that mean I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP when
>> I buy a new computer?
>>
>> Can I reinstall the XP OS on my computer again if I want to reformat
>> my hard drive or if I have a hard drive that crashes and needs
>> replacing?
September 17, 2005 10:07:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You mean kind of like a hooker? You only pay to use her/him, not own
her/him?

The thing is that the marketing and computer stores all say you're buying
software when you're not. Ye Olde Bait and Switch technique that relies on
almost no one reading the EULA or even knowing what an EULA is. Today, for
example, someone asked what an EULA is.

Alias

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote

> JazzyO wrote:
>> Thank you very much. Boy, somebody is making out like a bandit ....
>>
>
>
> Like your employer, do you mean? Are you content to work 5 days a week as
> longer as you're paid only for Monday?
>
> Simple common sense says that, regardless of price, if you buy and pay for
> only _one_ item, _one_ is all you get. Nothing could be plainer. This
> principle remains the same whether you're buying a physical product, a
> service, or a software license. Anyone who expects it to be otherwise is
> not fully partaking of reality. Does your local grocer let you walk out
> of the market with three loaves of bread when you've paid for only one?
> Can you drive two cars home from the dealership if you've paid for only
> one? Does your local clothier allow you to leave the shop with two shirts
> if you've purchased only one? Have you noticed a trend, yet? In the
> simplest of terms, you get what you pay for. If you want to install the
> same OS on multiple computers, either purchase multiple licenses, a volume
> license, or an OS whose license permits multiple installations, such as
> Linux.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:07:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alias wrote:
> You mean kind of like a hooker? You only pay to use her/him, not own
> her/him?
>
> The thing is that the marketing and computer stores all say you're buying
> software when you're not. Ye Olde Bait and Switch technique that relies on
> almost no one reading the EULA or even knowing what an EULA is. Today, for
> example, someone asked what an EULA is.
>


It's no one's fault but your own if you blindly accept everything a
sales clerk tells you, without doing any product research of your own.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
September 17, 2005 10:43:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote
> Alias wrote:
>> You mean kind of like a hooker? You only pay to use her/him, not own
>> her/him?
>>
>> The thing is that the marketing and computer stores all say you're buying
>> software when you're not. Ye Olde Bait and Switch technique that relies
>> on almost no one reading the EULA or even knowing what an EULA is. Today,
>> for example, someone asked what an EULA is.
>>
>
>
> It's no one's fault but your own if you blindly accept everything a sales
> clerk tells you, without doing any product research of your own.
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers

The store says "software". MS says "software". Most people do not read EULAs
and MS and the rest know it and take complete advantage of that fact.

Alias
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:43:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alias wrote:
>
>
> The store says "software". MS says "software". Most people do not read EULAs
> and MS and the rest know it and take complete advantage of that fact.
>
> Alias
>
>


Ignorance may be bliss, but it's never an excuse.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 10:43:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Alias wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> The store says "software". MS says "software". Most people do not read
>> EULAs and MS and the rest know it and take complete advantage of that
>> fact.
>>
>> Alias
>>
>
>
> Ignorance may be bliss, but it's never an excuse.
>

It certainly won't be when it gets to the point that all
memoranda, contracts and agreements must be written in
plain English ...and comprehensible by persons with the
reading and cognitive skills at the Grade 8 (or lower)
school level. <:-}}
September 17, 2005 11:51:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JazzyO wrote:
> Very interesting I'm up in Canada and I don't think we have the generic OEM
> in the Walmarts up here, least ways I've never heard of them before. This
> generic OEM works just like XP? This is great info so please elaborate a
> little if you could.

You can buy from here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:38:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:59:19 -0600 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bruce Chambers favored us with...
> Simple common sense says that, regardless of price, if you buy and pay
> for only _one_ item, _one_ is all you get. Nothing could be plainer.
> This principle remains the same whether you're buying a physical
> product, a service, or a software license. Anyone who expects it to be
> otherwise is not fully partaking of reality. Does your local grocer let
> you walk out of the market with three loaves of bread when you've paid
> for only one?

These are _really_ flawed analogies.

A better one is, would you accept a CD that can only be played in one
player? Is it legitimate to have to buy a second CD for playing in
the car, and a third one for the stereo you take to the gym? Of
course not. You can't play the CD on more than one device at a time,
so you are free to use it in any device that will play it. Why things
should be different for operating systems escapes me.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:38:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Stan Brown wrote:

>
> A better one is, would you accept a CD that can only be played in one
> player? Is it legitimate to have to buy a second CD for playing in
> the car, and a third one for the stereo you take to the gym? Of
> course not. You can't play the CD on more than one device at a time,
> so you are free to use it in any device that will play it. Why things
> should be different for operating systems escapes me.
>


And that's *exactly* the way a Windows license works: you can only
"play" it on one computer at a time. I guess my analogies worked, after
all.



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:41:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:32:04 -0600 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bruce Chambers favored us with...
>
> It's no one's fault but your own if you blindly accept everything a
> sales clerk tells you, without doing any product research of your own.

Legally, that's not correct.

There is a warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, which means
that if a salesman tells you a product will do something, and you
rely on the salesman's representations and buy the product, and it
doesn't do the thing promised, you're entitled to return it for a
refund.

In other words, the law recognizes that it is not practical for
people to do comprehensive research on every buying decision. Would
it be better if they did? Sure, but that's not the same thing.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:41:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:32:04 -0600 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bruce Chambers favored us with...
>
>> It's no one's fault but your own if you blindly accept everything a
>>sales clerk tells you, without doing any product research of your own.
>
>
> Legally, that's not correct.
>
> There is a warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, which means
> that if a salesman tells you a product will do something, and you
> rely on the salesman's representations and buy the product, and it
> doesn't do the thing promised, you're entitled to return it for a
> refund.
>


Then the OP's beef is with the salesman and his employer (and his own
parents for not teaching him common sense), not Microsoft.


> In other words, the law recognizes that it is not practical for
> people to do comprehensive research on every buying decision.


No, the law recognizes that it's wrong to misrepresent a product while
selling it. That's not the same thing as absolving the purchaser for
all responsibility for his actions.




--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 9:47:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:euI2WV6uFHA.3752@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Alias wrote:
>> You mean kind of like a hooker? You only pay to use her/him, not own
>> her/him?
>>
>> The thing is that the marketing and computer stores all say you're buying
>> software when you're not. Ye Olde Bait and Switch technique that relies
>> on almost no one reading the EULA or even knowing what an EULA is. Today,
>> for example, someone asked what an EULA is.
>>
>
>
> It's no one's fault but your own if you blindly accept everything a sales
> clerk tells you, without doing any product research of your own.

I'll say *AMEN!* to that one! :) 

>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:15:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:u3KVkb6uFHA.2960@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote
>> Alias wrote:
>>> You mean kind of like a hooker? You only pay to use her/him, not own
>>> her/him?
>>>
>>> The thing is that the marketing and computer stores all say you're
>>> buying software when you're not. Ye Olde Bait and Switch technique that
>>> relies on almost no one reading the EULA or even knowing what an EULA
>>> is. Today, for example, someone asked what an EULA is.
>>>
>>
>>
>> It's no one's fault but your own if you blindly accept everything a sales
>> clerk tells you, without doing any product research of your own.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>
> The store says "software". MS says "software". Most people do not read
> EULAs and MS and the rest know it and take complete advantage of that
> fact.
>
> Alias
>

On the retail packaging there is enough information to inform people that
the package they are purchasing is for installation on one PC. Same for
any off the shelf PC with Windows preinstalled on it. While it's true that
very few people DO read the packaging prior to purchase, it really is there.
And since the moment that M$ actually applied WPA, I'd say that a very
significant portion of users have actually read the EULA for Windows XP! :) 
Over the last twenty years of messing with computers as a hobby, I've seen
more discussion on "licensing" since that moment than in all the years
before WPA. As most of the MSVP's can attest there have been many to
express their dislike and distrust of the application of WPA. This
specifically includes myself as a complainer and whiner when XP Pro went to
retail channels! I felt that *I* was being treated as a thief and said so.
Intellectually, I can see that WPA is simply a tool that a software company
is employing to ensure each running copy of its software is appropriately
licensed. I'm ok with that.
It's in fairly bold print on the back of both my XP Professional [full
retail] cartons.
McG.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:23:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:13:52 -0600 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bruce Chambers favored us with...
> Stan Brown wrote:
> > [warranty of fitness for a particular purpose]
> > In other words, the law recognizes that it is not practical for
> > people to do comprehensive research on every buying decision.
>
> No, the law recognizes that it's wrong to misrepresent a product while
> selling it. That's not the same thing as absolving the purchaser for
> all responsibility for his actions.

Of course it's not. Why do people insist on setting up all-or-nothing
straw men?

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:48:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

So you propose that OEM licenses be outlawed?!?!?!? Retails can be moved
from PC to PC as needed, so what is it that escapes you?

Stan Brown wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:59:19 -0600 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bruce Chambers favored us with...
>
>> Simple common sense says that, regardless of price, if you buy and pay
>>for only _one_ item, _one_ is all you get. Nothing could be plainer.
>>This principle remains the same whether you're buying a physical
>>product, a service, or a software license. Anyone who expects it to be
>>otherwise is not fully partaking of reality. Does your local grocer let
>>you walk out of the market with three loaves of bread when you've paid
>>for only one?
>
>
> These are _really_ flawed analogies.
>
> A better one is, would you accept a CD that can only be played in one
> player? Is it legitimate to have to buy a second CD for playing in
> the car, and a third one for the stereo you take to the gym? Of
> course not. You can't play the CD on more than one device at a time,
> so you are free to use it in any device that will play it. Why things
> should be different for operating systems escapes me.
>
!