Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 build 7601 "this copy of Windows is not Genuine" error

Last response: in Windows 7
November 29, 2012 6:44:14 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if there was an easy fix for this. I just got back to my computer and this error showed up in the corner. Now I don't have any illegal software on this computer plus I haven't reformatted my computer at all. This copy of Windows is the same copy it came with when I bought the computer. Is there anyway of fixing this without having to use suspect software?

Thanks
November 29, 2012 6:56:16 PM

best way
contact microsoft
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2012 7:03:38 PM

How can you tell for sure your copy of Windows is legal? You said it's the same copy that came with the PC and you did not change it, but was it legal from the start? If you purchased it from second hand it might have been sold with an illegal copy.

What is the brand and model of your PC? You could contact the maker of the PC and they might be able to provide the right installation CD if you don't already have it. Otherwise Microsoft will be able to help you for sure if you contact them.
Score
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2012 7:07:39 PM

Windows IS suspect software. You will have to call Microsoft. Windows periodically checks itself against a "fingerprint" and if it doesn't match, it starts to think it's not the same machine.
Score

Best solution

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2012 8:06:05 PM

If validation fails the sticker that normally come son the side of an OEM box or on a separate piece of documentation, ring Microsoft and they will ask a few questions and if happy, give you an activation key.
November 29, 2012 8:36:40 PM

some laptops come with OEM windows activation key written at the bottom of laptop so check the bottom of your laptop for it then use it to reactivate widows.
Score
March 24, 2013 2:15:56 PM

das_stig said:
If validation fails the sticker that normally come son the side of an OEM box or on a separate piece of documentation, ring Microsoft and they will ask a few questions and if happy, give you an activation key.

Could you give us their phone# of tell us how to get in touch with them, even for a fee? They want $200 for a new license. I have a full retail package; bought off eBay (unforturnately).

Score
May 8, 2013 1:42:29 AM

contact microsoft they will only help u out nd u may hav 2 pay sum amount it is possible or u can tell dem dat u r a victim of counterfiet software nd dat u paid d wholle amout fr d product dat may help
Score
June 5, 2013 12:01:42 AM

I had the same problem and fixed it. My copy is genuine and activated, worked for about a year, then I got the Windows 7 build 7601 "this copy of Windows is not Genuine" error in the bottom right hand of the screen - just after a major Windows update by the way. Couldn't find the product activation key.

So, I started the Product Activation Wizard, by following these steps:
Click Start
Right-click Computer.
Select Properties.
Then at the bottom of the window, you'll see if it is activated and what the product ID is. I printed the page out for reference, and used 'print screen' and saved it to Word as well. Then I exited that, all ready to pohone Microsoft and re-activate it, and found that the "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" notice had disappeared.
Score
June 5, 2013 12:01:54 AM

I had the same problem and fixed it. My copy is genuine and activated, worked for about a year, then I got the Windows 7 build 7601 "this copy of Windows is not Genuine" error in the bottom right hand of the screen - just after a major Windows update by the way. Couldn't find the product activation key.

So, I started the Product Activation Wizard, by following these steps:
Click Start
Right-click Computer.
Select Properties.
Then at the bottom of the window, you'll see if it is activated and what the product ID is. I printed the page out for reference, and used 'print screen' and saved it to Word as well. Then I exited that, all ready to pohone Microsoft and re-activate it, and found that the "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" notice had disappeared.
Score
!