HP C360 power supply broken?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Hello,

we have a couple of HP C360 still working. One of them stopped last
week when I was away. Now it does not react on the power switch any
longer. There is no indication the system receives any power
whatsoever.
Of course I changed powercords and made shure there is power on the
plug, that changed nothing. Taking the machine appart and refitting it
(well, it sometimes helps with computers) also made no
difference. There is absolutely no reaction to the powerswitch.

I am afraid the power supply is broken. It gets warm although nothing
else happens in the machine. Is it possible to buy replacement ones?

Any idea as to what might have gone wrong or what I could do next?

Thanks in advance
Hinnerk

PS: X-post and F'up
--
Dr.-Ing. Dipl.-Inf. H. Hagenah hg@lft.uni-erlangen.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Fertigungstechnologie FAU Erlangen

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others?
(Martin Luther King Jr.)

Hinnerk Hagenah wrote:

> I am afraid the power supply is broken. It gets warm
> although nothing else happens in the machine. Is it
> possible to buy replacement ones?

Well, since it gets warm, maybe it's still
functional but the interruptor is broken.
It happened to my PC's power supply, too,
and it took less than half an hour for a
generic electrician to open it, change the
interruptor and bring it back to life.

HTH
Villi

Hello !

Hinnerk Hagenah wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have a couple of HP C360 still working. One of them stopped last
> week when I was away. Now it does not react on the power switch any
> longer. There is no indication the system receives any power
> whatsoever.
Do you hear the fans ?

> Of course I changed powercords and made shure there is power on the
> plug, that changed nothing. Taking the machine appart and refitting it
> (well, it sometimes helps with computers) also made no
> difference. There is absolutely no reaction to the powerswitch.

I had the a problem with a C240 powersupply, too. Take out power cord
for a day, and refiting (sometime I need a lot of refiting) - it helped
at my C240. But with these failure in the power supply you should not
take out the power supply.... ;-)

But the Cxxx have a problem with the power switch too. Search at
docs.hp.com and itrc.hp.com for some informations. There are some
documents for troubleshooting these power switch/supply failures.

> I am afraid the power supply is broken. It gets warm although nothing
> else happens in the machine. Is it possible to buy replacement ones?

HP (CRC Ratingen) could help you. There you can order a power supply or
switch unit too.
Or look for refurbished power supply/switch from a other company.

Bye

Lars

In comp.sys.hp.hardware Hinnerk Hagenah <hg@lft.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> I am afraid the power supply is broken. It gets warm although nothing
> else happens in the machine. Is it possible to buy replacement ones?

You might check partsurfer.hp.com

> Any idea as to what might have gone wrong or what I could do next?

When I was still doing regular stuff with C240's and the rest of the
workstations that slid in and out of the box like a drawer, there
would be times when I slid the stuff back-in, but it dind't seat quite
right for the power interlock. Reseating the system board - slide it
out, and slide it back-in firmly, coupled with making sure the screws
were installed often sorted the problems I was having. Perhaps it
will help with yours.

hth,

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Lars Bausch <lars.bausch@dotsch.de> writes:
> Hinnerk Hagenah wrote:

> > we have a couple of HP C360 still working. One of them stopped last
> > week when I was away. Now it does not react on the power switch any
> > longer. There is no indication the system receives any power
> > whatsoever.
> Do you hear the fans ?
No, there is absolutely nothing to hear. No sign of life or reaction
on pushing the power-switch.

> > Of course I changed powercords and made shure there is power on the
> > plug, that changed nothing. Taking the machine appart and refitting it
> > (well, it sometimes helps with computers) also made no
> > difference. There is absolutely no reaction to the powerswitch.
> I had the a problem with a C240 powersupply, too. Take out power cord
> for a day, and refiting (sometime I need a lot of refiting) - it helped
> at my C240. But with these failure in the power supply you should not
> take out the power supply.... ;-)
Although I have no idea how this should help I'll shure give it a
try. I took the damn thing appart yesterday but remounting didn't
help...

> But the Cxxx have a problem with the power switch too. Search at
> docs.hp.com and itrc.hp.com for some informations. There are some
> documents for troubleshooting these power switch/supply failures.
OK - but searching there isn't too easy.

Thanks

Hinnerk
--
Dr.-Ing. Dipl.-Inf. H. Hagenah hg@lft.uni-erlangen.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Fertigungstechnologie FAU Erlangen

Demokratie ist die Staatsform, die keiner mitbekommt, wenn sie nicht fehlt.
Elmar Kupke (*1942), deutscher Aphoristiker und Stadtphilosoph

Rick Jones <foo@bar.baz.invalid> writes:
> In comp.sys.hp.hardware Hinnerk Hagenah <hg@lft.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> > I am afraid the power supply is broken. It gets warm although nothing
> > else happens in the machine. Is it possible to buy replacement ones?
> You might check partsurfer.hp.com

> > Any idea as to what might have gone wrong or what I could do next?
> When I was still doing regular stuff with C240's and the rest of the
> workstations that slid in and out of the box like a drawer, there
> would be times when I slid the stuff back-in, but it dind't seat quite
> right for the power interlock. Reseating the system board - slide it
> out, and slide it back-in firmly, coupled with making sure the screws
> were installed often sorted the problems I was having. Perhaps it
> will help with yours.

Hm - makes me wonder how things can losen up when the machine is just
sitting under the table. I should be the only one touching those
screws around here... I'll give it a try anyhow.

Thanks

Hinnerk
--
Dr.-Ing. Dipl.-Inf. H. Hagenah hg@lft.uni-erlangen.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Fertigungstechnologie FAU Erlangen

Demokratie ist die Staatsform, die keiner mitbekommt, wenn sie nicht fehlt.
Elmar Kupke (*1942), deutscher Aphoristiker und Stadtphilosoph

> we have a couple of HP C360 still working. One of them stopped last
> week when I was away. Now it does not react on the power switch any
> longer. There is no indication the system receives any power
> whatsoever.
> Of course I changed powercords and made shure there is power on the
> plug, that changed nothing. Taking the machine appart and refitting it
> (well, it sometimes helps with computers) also made no
> difference. There is absolutely no reaction to the powerswitch.
>
> I am afraid the power supply is broken. It gets warm although nothing
> else happens in the machine. Is it possible to buy replacement ones?
>
> Any idea as to what might have gone wrong or what I could do next?

We've seen around a dozen fail this way, they work fne until you unplug
them then they won't restart. It's never the internal fuse, new psu time
:-(

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland