Somebody out there help. MVP, anyone...

Hello:

I went into system properties, while there, changed the computer name, it
asked me to re-boot and now I can't log on. As far as I know it was only set
up as a workgroup and not a domain.; This is one PC and is used at home. I am
currently on an old HD that I installed on the same machine with XP and I can
see and access my current HD (the one that I can't log on to), but I
want/need it
back the way it was, I have all of my prog's installed there, etc etc. Plus
want that HD as my Master and my existing Slave is not connected since I have
this one on here right now. Can I not just copy a security file from this
newly installed copy of XP into the correct folder on my other HD to reset
the GP?

I know there has got to be something I can do just don't know what! I don't
want to try to install over my existing XP with the chance of losing
everything, have already installed over it twice before.

Somebody out there must have my answer, I hope.

Thanks so much! Your help is greatly appreciated.

TimBud Wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I went into system properties, while there, changed the computer name,
> it
> asked me to re-boot and now I can't log on. As far as I know it was
> only set
> up as a workgroup and not a domain.; This is one PC and is used at
> home. I am
> currently on an old HD that I installed on the same machine with XP and
> I can
> see and access my current HD (the one that I can't log on to), but I
> want/need it
> back the way it was, I have all of my prog's installed there, etc etc.
> Plus
> want that HD as my Master and my existing Slave is not connected since
> I have
> this one on here right now. Can I not just copy a security file from
> this
> newly installed copy of XP into the correct folder on my other HD to
> reset
> the GP?
>
> I know there has got to be something I can do just don't know what! I
> don't
> want to try to install over my existing XP with the chance of losing
> everything, have already installed over it twice before.
>
> Somebody out there must have my answer, I hope.
>
> Thanks so much! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, not an expert, but can you try booting into Safe Mode or
accessing any of the F8 options that are available to you?

--
Evolution54

"TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> I went into system properties, while there, changed the computer name, it
> asked me to re-boot and now I can't log on. As far as I know it was only
set
> up as a workgroup and not a domain.; This is one PC and is used at home. I
am
> currently on an old HD that I installed on the same machine with XP and I
can
> see and access my current HD (the one that I can't log on to), but I
> want/need it
> back the way it was, I have all of my prog's installed there, etc etc.
Plus
> want that HD as my Master and my existing Slave is not connected since I
have
> this one on here right now. Can I not just copy a security file from this
> newly installed copy of XP into the correct folder on my other HD to reset
> the GP?
>
> I know there has got to be something I can do just don't know what! I
don't
> want to try to install over my existing XP with the chance of losing
> everything, have already installed over it twice before.
>
> Somebody out there must have my answer, I hope.
>
> Thanks so much! Your help is greatly appreciated.

You need to ask your system administrator to re-register
your machine on the domain, or to give you a local account/
password.

BTW, a far more descriptive Subject line for this post would
be something like "Unable to logon". It tells potential respondents
what your problem is, which is essential in such a busy newsgroup.

My administrator? ;o) That's me. This is a personal PC used in my business
that I own, not on a network, LAN, etc. This is what I did:

I am quite PC literate and build websites, etc but not with domains, etc. I
still don't know what they are for, etc. Anyway, that must of been what
happened, a domain. On the Welcome Screen, the lower left corner shows (Turn
Off Loft Office) <--New name) as if I were going to log off and also shows
my two login names minus one for my wife since it was turned off at the time.
I have changed 'puter names many times and this has never happened to me.

I just went back to properties to try and remember what I did. It was late,
many hours working and I was pretty tired. I renamed the Computer
Description. THEN, I clicked the bottom button "Change..." which comes after
the "To rename this computer or join a domain, click Change.

THAT's what I did....I only read what I wanted to read (rename this pc). Ok,
with that said and done what does this mean? I remember it immediatley
popping up stating it needed a reboot, which I did. If I legitimatley clicked
"Change..." then what should of happened? What can I do now?

I appreciate your help Pegusus!

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> >
> > I went into system properties, while there, changed the computer name, it
> > asked me to re-boot and now I can't log on. As far as I know it was only
> set
> > up as a workgroup and not a domain.; This is one PC and is used at home. I
> am
> > currently on an old HD that I installed on the same machine with XP and I
> can
> > see and access my current HD (the one that I can't log on to), but I
> > want/need it
> > back the way it was, I have all of my prog's installed there, etc etc.
> Plus
> > want that HD as my Master and my existing Slave is not connected since I
> have
> > this one on here right now. Can I not just copy a security file from this
> > newly installed copy of XP into the correct folder on my other HD to reset
> > the GP?
> >
> > I know there has got to be something I can do just don't know what! I
> don't
> > want to try to install over my existing XP with the chance of losing
> > everything, have already installed over it twice before.
> >
> > Somebody out there must have my answer, I hope.
> >
> > Thanks so much! Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> You need to ask your system administrator to re-register
> your machine on the domain, or to give you a local account/
> password.
>
> BTW, a far more descriptive Subject line for this post would
> be something like "Unable to logon". It tells potential respondents
> what your problem is, which is essential in such a busy newsgroup.

No, I remember clicking the Network ID button. Yep...ok, am I helpless then?

Thank you for your insight Pegusus or anyone.

"TimBud" wrote:

> My administrator? ;o) That's me. This is a personal PC used in my business
> that I own, not on a network, LAN, etc. This is what I did:
>
> I am quite PC literate and build websites, etc but not with domains, etc. I
> still don't know what they are for, etc. Anyway, that must of been what
> happened, a domain. On the Welcome Screen, the lower left corner shows (Turn
> Off Loft Office) <--New name) as if I were going to log off and also shows
> my two login names minus one for my wife since it was turned off at the time.
> I have changed 'puter names many times and this has never happened to me.
>
> I just went back to properties to try and remember what I did. It was late,
> many hours working and I was pretty tired. I renamed the Computer
> Description. THEN, I clicked the bottom button "Change..." which comes after
> the "To rename this computer or join a domain, click Change.
>
> THAT's what I did....I only read what I wanted to read (rename this pc). Ok,
> with that said and done what does this mean? I remember it immediatley
> popping up stating it needed a reboot, which I did. If I legitimatley clicked
> "Change..." then what should of happened? What can I do now?
>
> I appreciate your help Pegusus!
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "TimBud" <tim@northgeorgianospamsecurity.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > I went into system properties, while there, changed the computer name, it
> > > asked me to re-boot and now I can't log on. As far as I know it was only
> > set
> > > up as a workgroup and not a domain.; This is one PC and is used at home. I
> > am
> > > currently on an old HD that I installed on the same machine with XP and I
> > can
> > > see and access my current HD (the one that I can't log on to), but I
> > > want/need it
> > > back the way it was, I have all of my prog's installed there, etc etc.
> > Plus
> > > want that HD as my Master and my existing Slave is not connected since I
> > have
> > > this one on here right now. Can I not just copy a security file from this
> > > newly installed copy of XP into the correct folder on my other HD to reset
> > > the GP?
> > >
> > > I know there has got to be something I can do just don't know what! I
> > don't
> > > want to try to install over my existing XP with the chance of losing
> > > everything, have already installed over it twice before.
> > >
> > > Somebody out there must have my answer, I hope.
> > >
> > > Thanks so much! Your help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > You need to ask your system administrator to re-register
> > your machine on the domain, or to give you a local account/
> > password.
> >
> > BTW, a far more descriptive Subject line for this post would
> > be something like "Unable to logon". It tells potential respondents
> > what your problem is, which is essential in such a busy newsgroup.

Domains are great for central validation of logon credentials.
Your PC must have been on a domain at some stage it its
life, even if you don't remember, and by taking it off that
domain you destroyed the accounts database. You should
now do two things:
a) Boot the machine with a boot disk from
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html,
then reset the administrator's password.
b) Create a secondary admin account, same as you
have a spare car key, and lock it away so that you're
never again in this awkward situation. After all you need
to show the PC who's boss around here, and you cannot
do it if you rely on one single flimsy logon account!