Access Denied to folder

franco

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002

Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I have Windows
XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to password protect her work.
However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later (TV card install BTW) we cannot access
this folder, even with System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or even
attach this folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.

The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to input the
original password? A

Malke

Franco wrote:

> Thanks for replying.
>
> The re-installs have not reconfigured windows for the user to prompt a
> password. The System Administrator (me) also can't open it. Basically
> all I have is a folder that historically had a password assigned in a
>
> "zzdave" wrote:
>

>> "Franco" wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I
>> > have Windows XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to
>> > password protect her work. However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later
>> > (TV card install BTW) we cannot access this folder, even with
>> > System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or even attach this
>> > folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.
>> >
>> > The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to
>> > input the original password? A

With what program did she password-protect the file? It may also be
accessible by using Knoppix as follows:

Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with
two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with
enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer
with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning software.
Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable
cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If
you are using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the
Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the
K3b burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Franco wrote:

> Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I have Windows
> XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to password protect her work.
> However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later (TV card install BTW) we cannot access
> this folder, even with System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or even
> attach this folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.
>
> The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to input the
> original password? A

XP has no facility to password protect a folder. XP uses permissions to
control access to files and folders. If a password was assigned to the
folder then it came from third party software, or the data was put in a
zip file and that was password protected.

If it's just a permissions issue see this article on how to take
ownership of a file or folder, or in Start click on Help and Support and
search on Ownership.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock wrote:
> XP has no facility to password protect a folder. XP uses permissions to
> control access to files and folders. If a password was assigned to the
> folder then it came from third party software, or the data was put in a
> zip file and that was password protected.

But Winzip functionality comes integrated with XP Pro, so XP _does_ have
the facility to password protect a folder.

Franco Wrote:
> Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I have
> Windows
> XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to password protect her
> work.
> However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later (TV card install BTW) we cannot
> access
> this folder, even with System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or
> even
> attach this folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.
>
> The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to
> input the
> original password? A

Try see if the almighty Microsoft can help you:

http://tinyurl.com/3aw7

--
Evolution54

franco

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002

Thanks for the input Rock, but I wish this were true.

When a user sets up another profil in my vesrion of XP they are asked (by
XP) if the want to password protect their folders also. So she did, because
she could. BTW if that doesn't convince, the system is brand new no other SW
other than MS stuff is on it.

"Rock" wrote:

> Franco wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I have Windows
> > XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to password protect her work.
> > However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later (TV card install BTW) we cannot access
> > this folder, even with System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or even
> > attach this folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.
> >
> > The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to input the
> > original password? A
> >

> XP has no facility to password protect a folder. XP uses permissions to
> control access to files and folders. If a password was assigned to the
> folder then it came from third party software, or the data was put in a
> zip file and that was password protected.
>
> If it's just a permissions issue see this article on how to take
> ownership of a file or folder, or in Start click on Help and Support and
> search on Ownership.
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

franco

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002

Thanks for the input Malke, this is an interesting solution. I will attempt
later today. Luckily I have 2 CD drives & a USB memory stick

"Malke" wrote:

> Franco wrote:
>
> > Thanks for replying.
> >
> > The re-installs have not reconfigured windows for the user to prompt a
> > password. The System Administrator (me) also can't open it. Basically
> > all I have is a folder that historically had a password assigned in a

> With what program did she password-protect the file? It may also be
> accessible by using Knoppix as follows:
>
> Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with
> two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with
> enough capacity to hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer
> with a fast Internet connection and third-party burning software.
> Download the Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable
> cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If
> you are using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the
> Desktop) to get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read
> Only". Then click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action
> in the window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open
> instead of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the
> K3b burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

franco

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002

Thanks for asking, I get a small error box saying "Access denied" and just
the OK button as an option

"zzdave" wrote:

> "Franco" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I have Windows
> > XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to password protect her work.
> > However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later (TV card install BTW) we cannot access
> > this folder, even with System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or even
> > attach this folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.
> >
> > The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to input the
> > original password? A
> >

> Hi,
>
> Do you get any error messages? Have you forgotten the password?
>
> David

Malke

Franco wrote:

> Thanks for the input Rock, but I wish this were true.
>
> When a user sets up another profil in my vesrion of XP they are asked
> (by XP) if the want to password protect their folders also. So she
> did, because she could. BTW if that doesn't convince, the system is
> brand new no other SW other than MS stuff is on it.

Then you will be able to get the data using Knoppix as I described to
you before.

Malke
--

Franco wrote:
> Thanks for the input Rock, but I wish this were true.
>
> When a user sets up another profil in my vesrion of XP they are asked (by
> XP) if the want to password protect their folders also. So she did, because
> she could. BTW if that doesn't convince, the system is brand new no other SW
> other than MS stuff is on it.

Password protect? If don't think so .. you get asked if you want to
protect them from other users but Administrator can ALWAYS override that.

Answer below:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:27:30 -0700, Franco
<Franco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for replying.
>
>The re-installs have not reconfigured windows for the user to prompt a
>password. The System Administrator (me) also can't open it. Basically all I
>have is a folder that historically had a password assigned in a previous
>incarnation of windows. That now cannot be accessed.
>
>"zzdave" wrote:
>

>> "Franco" wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I have Windows
>> > XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to password protect her work.
>> > However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later (TV card install BTW) we cannot access
>> > this folder, even with System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or even
>> > attach this folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.
>> >
>> > The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to input the
>> > original password? A
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you get any error messages? Have you forgotten the password?
>>
>> David

IT sounds as though you need to take ownership of this folder (as an
Administrator), then assign whoever needs them access rights to the
folder.

Answer below:

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:23:02 -0700, Franco
<Franco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the input Rock, but I wish this were true.
>
>When a user sets up another profil in my vesrion of XP they are asked (by
>XP) if the want to password protect their folders also. So she did, because
>she could. BTW if that doesn't convince, the system is brand new no other SW
>other than MS stuff is on it.
>
>"Rock" wrote:
>
>> Franco wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone help me retrieve my daughters 6th form coursework. I have Windows
>> > XP Home edition and my daughter thought it wise to password protect her work.
>> > However 2 crashes & 2 reinstalls later (TV card install BTW) we cannot access
>> > this folder, even with System admin rights. I cannot copy, delete or even
>> > attach this folder to a mail. DOS commands are equally useless.
>> >
>> > The MS DB doesn't offer real solutions as there is no where now to input the
>> > original password? A
>> >

>> XP has no facility to password protect a folder. XP uses permissions to
>> control access to files and folders. If a password was assigned to the
>> folder then it came from third party software, or the data was put in a
>> zip file and that was password protected.
>>
>> If it's just a permissions issue see this article on how to take
>> ownership of a file or folder, or in Start click on Help and Support and
>> search on Ownership.
>>
>> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

XP does NOT password protect folders and creating a profile can't
offer that. What it can do is offer to password protect the new user
ACCOUNT, but that has nothing to do with placing a password on a
user's folders.

Again, as I mentioned before, logon to the computer using an account
that has Adminstrator privileges, than take ownership of the folders
in question. Then assign rights to access them as appropriate. The
problem should be solved.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am assuming that you are using Windows XP Pro instead of XP Home. If you
are, do the following:

1. Open a window with Windows Explorer. You can do this by holding down the
windows key on the keyboard and press the letter "E".

2. Click on Tools.

3. Click on Folder Options.

4. Click on the "View" Tab.

5. In the "Advanced Settings" window scroll all the way down to the bottom
to a line which reads "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)".

6. Remove the check mark in front of it by clicking on the check mark.

7. Click on "Apply" and then "OK"

8. Using the Windows Explorer window which you opened in step 1 above, find
the folder in question and right click on it.

9. Select "Properties"

10. There should now appear a tab labeled "Security". Click on it.

11. Here comes the tricky part.

12. If Administrator does not appear click on the "Add" button.

13. Type in "Administrator" in the resultant box and click on "OK".

14. The word "Administrator should now he highlighted. Look in the window
below titled "Permissions for Administrator" and place a checkmark in the
box labeled "Full Control" under the "Allow" column.

15. Click again on the "ADD" button. Enter the name of the person who has
ownership of Windows XP when it was first installed. You can check for the
name by again using the windows explorer, click on your boot drive,
(normally the C drive), click on "Documents and Settings", and note the name
of the user(s) listed there.

16. Add this name into the box presented by clicking on the "Add" button in
step 15 above. Give this person "Full Rights" as you did with the
Administrator. Click on "Apply" and then on "OK".

17. Now select the name you entered in step 15.

18. Click on the "Advanced" button.

19. Place a checkmark in the box labeled "Replace permission entries on all
child objects with entries show here that apply to child objects"

20. Make sure that the name is selected that you want to give rights to in
the window above.

21. Click the "Apply" button, Click on "Yes" on the resulting button after
you read and understand what the warning presented.

22. Click on "OK" you now are finished assigning permissions to the user you
selected.

You should be able to access the folder in question and do whatever you want
to do with it. If you truly have Windows XP Home and have used a third
party software to encrypt and password protect the folder you will have to
either read the read me file that accompanies the software or call the
creators of that program and explain what happened.

You should have formatted your disk to NTFS formatting before you
reinstalled Windows to maintain your security. If you did not, the security
feature would not appear. In that case your folder may be corrupted. Run
CHKDSK /f to be sure that your disk is not corrupted. Hope this helps.

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> Answer below:
>
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:27:30 -0700, Franco
> <Franco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for replying.
>>
>>The re-installs have not reconfigured windows for the user to prompt a
>>password. The System Administrator (me) also can't open it. Basically all
>>have is a folder that historically had a password assigned in a previous
>>incarnation of windows. That now cannot be accessed.

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do you get any error messages? Have you forgotten the password?
>>>
>>> David
>
> IT sounds as though you need to take ownership of this folder (as an
> Administrator), then assign whoever needs them access rights to the
> folder.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Z wrote:

> Rock wrote:
>
>> XP has no facility to password protect a folder. XP uses permissions
>> to control access to files and folders. If a password was assigned to
>> the folder then it came from third party software, or the data was put
>> in a zip file and that was password protected.
>

> But Winzip functionality comes integrated with XP Pro, so XP _does_ have
> the facility to password protect a folder.

XP does not have tools to password protect a folder. If you zip it,
then it can be password protected. But the folder, by itself, cannot be.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User