HELP: my laptop HD is thrashing itself.... woes :S

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I transfered 4 CD images (700MB each) from my PC to my laptop. Then I moved
the CD images into a folder. Then I moved the folder to another folder. Then
my laptop just started hard disk thrashing. I could not access the folder
that contained the 4 CD image files. The hard disk kept on thrashing for
say, way over 1 hour. I tried shutting down but it just got to: "Windows is
shutting down... please wait..." message. What is going on? Has this
happened to anyone else? Did my virtual memory run out? I had only booted up
my laptop to transfer the images to laptop. I have worked with many larger
files before and never seen my laptop thrash like this before.

Specifications:
TOSHIBA A100 Portege
P4 Centrino 1.4GHz
512MB RAM
HD - C:\ 8GB, D:\ 40GB

Virtual memory is default system managed.
I have plenty space in D:\ where the large CD image files where transferred
to. Over 24GB free.

Anyone know why my laptop is still thrashing the HD, even just now? Is it a
virus?
2 answers Last reply
More about help laptop thrashing itself woes
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    From: "KevinGPO" <kevingpo@ukonline.co.uk>

    | I transfered 4 CD images (700MB each) from my PC to my laptop. Then I moved
    | the CD images into a folder. Then I moved the folder to another folder. Then
    | my laptop just started hard disk thrashing. I could not access the folder
    | that contained the 4 CD image files. The hard disk kept on thrashing for
    | say, way over 1 hour. I tried shutting down but it just got to: "Windows is
    | shutting down... please wait..." message. What is going on? Has this
    | happened to anyone else? Did my virtual memory run out? I had only booted up
    | my laptop to transfer the images to laptop. I have worked with many larger
    | files before and never seen my laptop thrash like this before.
    |
    | Specifications:
    | TOSHIBA A100 Portege
    | P4 Centrino 1.4GHz
    | 512MB RAM
    | HD - C:\ 8GB, D:\ 40GB
    |
    | Virtual memory is default system managed.
    | I have plenty space in D:\ where the large CD image files where transferred
    | to. Over 24GB free.
    |
    | Anyone know why my laptop is still thrashing the HD, even just now? Is it a
    | virus?

    It is extremely doubtful it is a virus.

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)

    start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

    Open a Command Prompt.

    In the Command Prompt type the following...

    CHKDSK C: /F

    If it replies..
    "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
    (Y/N)"

    Choose - Y

    type; EXIT

    Reboot the PC.

    A full Check Disk will want to be performed, allow it.

    When it reboots, do the following...

    Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
    respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
    not..

    Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

    Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
    http://support.wdc.com/download/

    Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

    Seagate - SeaTools
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

    Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
    http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

    Samsung - Disk manager
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Did you actually "move" the files, or did you copy them from folder to
    folder? How much hard drive space do you have on the drive you are working
    with? Did you empty the recycle bin after moving/copying the files? If you
    have Norton "anything" on your computer, did you empty the Norton Protected
    Recycle Bin also? How much memory do you have installed?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "KevinGPO" <kevingpo@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I transfered 4 CD images (700MB each) from my PC to my laptop. Then I moved
    >the CD images into a folder. Then I moved the folder to another folder.
    >Then my laptop just started hard disk thrashing. I could not access the
    >folder that contained the 4 CD image files. The hard disk kept on thrashing
    >for say, way over 1 hour. I tried shutting down but it just got to:
    >"Windows is shutting down... please wait..." message. What is going on? Has
    >this happened to anyone else? Did my virtual memory run out? I had only
    >booted up my laptop to transfer the images to laptop. I have worked with
    >many larger files before and never seen my laptop thrash like this before.
    >
    > Specifications:
    > TOSHIBA A100 Portege
    > P4 Centrino 1.4GHz
    > 512MB RAM
    > HD - C:\ 8GB, D:\ 40GB
    >
    > Virtual memory is default system managed.
    > I have plenty space in D:\ where the large CD image files where
    > transferred to. Over 24GB free.
    >
    > Anyone know why my laptop is still thrashing the HD, even just now? Is it
    > a virus?

Laptops CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP