Error setting up service pack 2

Hi,

I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
keep getting messages of the form:

Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
XXXXX
to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.

Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and it
does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an administrator.

Thanks,

More about error setting service pack

    are you the administrator of the computer

    Alain Leblanc wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
    > keep getting messages of the form:
    >
    > Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
    > XXXXX
    > to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.
    >
    > Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and it
    > does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an administrator.
    >
    > Thanks,

    "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7796&view=next

    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    flip wrote:
    > are you the administrator of the computer

    I am

    Thanks for the links, but still didn't do it. I tried running in safe
    mode but it stopped when I tried to download. I forget the eact error
    message, actually an error code, but it was something about security.

    What's odd about this problem is that (according to the message) the
    problem is with the backup directory. Why would the backup process
    create a directory and then denies itself the authorization to write
    into it?

    Alain Leblanc wrote:
    > Thanks for the links, but still didn't do it. I tried running in safe
    > mode but it stopped when I tried to download. I forget the eact error
    > message, actually an error code, but it was something about security.
    >
    > What's odd about this problem is that (according to the message) the
    > problem is with the backup directory. Why would the backup process
    > create a directory and then denies itself the authorization to write
    > into it?

    > Rock wrote:
    >
    >> Alain Leblanc wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
    >>> keep getting messages of the form:
    >>>
    >>> Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
    >>> XXXXX
    >>> to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and
    >>> it does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an
    >>> administrator.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
    >> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7796&view=next
    >>
    >> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

    Try the free SP2 support from MS:
    Free Technical Support for SP2