Error setting up service pack 2

September 17, 2005 4:20:49 AM

Hi,

I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
keep getting messages of the form:

Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
XXXXX
to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.

Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and it
does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an administrator.

Thanks,

September 17, 2005 4:20:50 AM

are you the administrator of the computer

"Alain Leblanc" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
> keep getting messages of the form:
>
> Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
> XXXXX
> to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.
>
> Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and it
> does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an administrator.
>
> Thanks,

September 17, 2005 4:20:50 AM

Alain Leblanc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
> keep getting messages of the form:
>
> Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
> XXXXX
> to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.
>
> Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and it
> does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an administrator.
>
> Thanks,

"Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7796&view=next

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Servi...

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

flip wrote:
> are you the administrator of the computer

I am
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:58:52 PM

Thanks for the links, but still didn't do it. I tried running in safe
mode but it stopped when I tried to download. I forget the eact error
message, actually an error code, but it was something about security.

What's odd about this problem is that (according to the message) the
problem is with the backup directory. Why would the backup process
create a directory and then denies itself the authorization to write
into it?

Rock wrote:
> Alain Leblanc wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
>> keep getting messages of the form:
>>
>> Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
>> XXXXX
>> to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.
>>
>> Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and it
>> does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an
>> administrator.
>>
>> Thanks,

> "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7796&view=next
>
> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Servi...

September 20, 2005 6:01:41 PM

Alain Leblanc wrote:
> Thanks for the links, but still didn't do it. I tried running in safe
> mode but it stopped when I tried to download. I forget the eact error
> message, actually an error code, but it was something about security.
>
> What's odd about this problem is that (according to the message) the
> problem is with the backup directory. Why would the backup process
> create a directory and then denies itself the authorization to write
> into it?

> Rock wrote:
>
>> Alain Leblanc wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I finally decided to install the service pack 2. During the install I
>>> keep getting messages of the form:
>>>
>>> Service pack 2 could not back up registry key
>>> XXXXX
>>> to file c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\reg00013: Access is denied.
>>>
>>> Anyone knows what the problem might be? I located the directory and
>>> it does get removed when I cancel the update. I'm running as an
>>> administrator.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>> "Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7796&view=next
>>
>> http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Servi...

Try the free SP2 support from MS:
Free Technical Support for SP2