safe mode with networking

is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
this time. Thanks for any ideas.
7 answers Last reply
More about safe mode networking

    Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
    You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
    no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
    disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
    connectivity to run.

    "Judy" wrote:

    > is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
    > doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
    > this time. Thanks for any ideas.

    what I should have said was, going into safe mode while doing the scans, my
    firewall is disabled. since I am on dsl, am I still safe from someone trying
    to hack into my computer. thanks

    "ParamusAdmin" wrote:

    > Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
    > You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
    > no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
    > disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
    > connectivity to run.
    >
    > "Judy" wrote:
    >
    > > is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
    > > doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
    > > this time. Thanks for any ideas.

    If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.

    --
    Peter

    "Judy" <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF59EF53-7FF5-4C88-B396-F29971231C7B@microsoft.com...
    > what I should have said was, going into safe mode while doing the scans, my
    > firewall is disabled. since I am on dsl, am I still safe from someone trying
    > to hack into my computer. thanks
    >
    > "ParamusAdmin" wrote:
    >
    >> Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
    >> You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
    >> no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
    >> disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
    >> connectivity to run.
    >>
    >> "Judy" wrote:
    >>
    >> > is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
    >> > doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
    >> > this time. Thanks for any ideas.

    thanks Peter. Just wanted to make sure.

    "Peter Foldes" wrote:

    > If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > "Judy" <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF59EF53-7FF5-4C88-B396-F29971231C7B@microsoft.com...
    > > what I should have said was, going into safe mode while doing the scans, my
    > > firewall is disabled. since I am on dsl, am I still safe from someone trying
    > > to hack into my computer. thanks
    > >
    > > "ParamusAdmin" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
    > >> You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
    > >> no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
    > >> disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
    > >> connectivity to run.

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:29:10 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Peter Foldes favored us with...
    > If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.

    He said "safe mode WITH NETWORKING". Doesn't that mean that things do
    go in and out?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    The OP never mentioned Safe mode with Networking. She only said Safe mode and she did confirm only Safe mode. Another poster answered her without any regards to as what she said with Safe mode with Networking.

    I replied properly to the OP.

    --
    Peter

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d9615e046ef30469897cb@news.individual.net...
    > On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:29:10 -0400 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Peter Foldes favored us with...
    >> If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.
    >
    > He said "safe mode WITH NETWORKING". Doesn't that mean that things do
    > go in and out?

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    > variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    > evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    > where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    > --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:56:39 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Peter Foldes favored us with...
    > The OP never mentioned Safe mode with Networking.

    Er, take a look at the subject of the thread you replied to.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Safe Mode Networking Microsoft Windows XP