Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

safe mode with networking

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:56:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
this time. Thanks for any ideas.

More about : safe mode networking

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 12:54:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
connectivity to run.

"Judy" wrote:

> is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
> doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
> this time. Thanks for any ideas.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:07:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

what I should have said was, going into safe mode while doing the scans, my
firewall is disabled. since I am on dsl, am I still safe from someone trying
to hack into my computer. thanks

"ParamusAdmin" wrote:

> Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
> You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
> no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
> disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
> connectivity to run.
>
> "Judy" wrote:
>
> > is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
> > doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
> > this time. Thanks for any ideas.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:29:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Judy" <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF59EF53-7FF5-4C88-B396-F29971231C7B@microsoft.com...
> what I should have said was, going into safe mode while doing the scans, my
> firewall is disabled. since I am on dsl, am I still safe from someone trying
> to hack into my computer. thanks
>
> "ParamusAdmin" wrote:
>
>> Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
>> You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
>> no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
>> disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
>> connectivity to run.
>>
>> "Judy" wrote:
>>
>> > is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
>> > doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
>> > this time. Thanks for any ideas.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:29:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

thanks Peter. Just wanted to make sure.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.
>
> --
> Peter
>
> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
>
> "Judy" <Judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF59EF53-7FF5-4C88-B396-F29971231C7B@microsoft.com...
> > what I should have said was, going into safe mode while doing the scans, my
> > firewall is disabled. since I am on dsl, am I still safe from someone trying
> > to hack into my computer. thanks
> >
> > "ParamusAdmin" wrote:
> >
> >> Why are you booting up in safe mode with networking for a virus/spyware scan?
> >> You should first update the virus defs, etc, then reboot in safe mode with
> >> no network connectivity, as I'm pretty sure any windows firewalls are
> >> disabled in safe mode. A virus and spyware scan should need no network
> >> connectivity to run.
> >>
> >> "Judy" wrote:
> >>
> >> > is it possible for someone to hack into my computer while I am in safe mode
> >> > doing a spyware and virus search? It seems my firewall is not enabled during
> >> > this time. Thanks for any ideas.
>
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:01:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:29:10 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Peter Foldes favored us with...
> If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.

He said "safe mode WITH NETWORKING". Doesn't that mean that things do
go in and out?

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:56:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The OP never mentioned Safe mode with Networking. She only said Safe mode and she did confirm only Safe mode. Another poster answered her without any regards to as what she said with Safe mode with Networking.

I replied properly to the OP.

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d9615e046ef30469897cb@news.individual.net...
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:29:10 -0400 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Peter Foldes favored us with...
>> If you are in Safe mode then no . Nothing comes in and nothing goes out. Your connectivity to the net is not there in Safe mode.
>
> He said "safe mode WITH NETWORKING". Doesn't that mean that things do
> go in and out?
>
> --
> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
> variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
> evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
> where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
> --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:18:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:56:39 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Peter Foldes favored us with...
> The OP never mentioned Safe mode with Networking.

Er, take a look at the subject of the thread you replied to.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46
!