Status
Not open for further replies.

iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I want to know if I can connect my 2 computer speakers to a self-powered subwoofer, essentially turning my 2.0 speaker setup into a 2.1 setup.

The back of the speakers I have have 2 pair of RCA receptacles (red/white audio). One says audio input but the other pair doesn't say anything and on the product descriptions I've read it just says that you can use these to plug them into other audio devices like mp3 players etc. but they don't say subwoofers with RCA inputs specifically.

Here are the speakers I have: http://www.amazon.com/Bose-Companion-Series-Multimedia-Speaker/dp/B000HZDF8W

(Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System)

Here is the subwoofer I'm interested in seeing if I can pair with those speakers to get some bass coming out of my computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034

(Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
It is possible! There are two ways.

1. Connect the subwoofer to the subwoofer output on your system's sound card and configure speaker settings to 2.1. If you have trouble with this, check out your motherboards manual (assume you have desktop?).

2. If your computer doesn't have subwoofer output, you have to have two adapters of the kind RCA female -> 2x RCA male adapters. So from the computer you connect each RCA to the adapter and from the adapter you connect to both speakers and subwoofer.

VonPelz

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
It is possible! There are two ways.

1. Connect the subwoofer to the subwoofer output on your system's sound card and configure speaker settings to 2.1. If you have trouble with this, check out your motherboards manual (assume you have desktop?).

2. If your computer doesn't have subwoofer output, you have to have two adapters of the kind RCA female -> 2x RCA male adapters. So from the computer you connect each RCA to the adapter and from the adapter you connect to both speakers and subwoofer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.