Sign in with
Your question

My laptop believes it has a second monitor how to remove it

Last response: in Windows 7
November 29, 2012 9:55:08 PM

Hello,
I have windows seven, and I have a dell computer that thinks it is hooked up to an outside monitor. as a result, I have no screen control. how to I convert the laptop back to its own monitor screen ?

More about : laptop believes monitor remove

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2012 10:00:31 PM

hold down fn key and keep tapping f5 key till it cycles through to internal lcd only

m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2012 10:08:27 PM

If it posted twice, it kept saying it could not post. Perhaps this is what happened ? I can use the laptop monitor, but there are no controls for brightness ,the usual Fn + arrow up and down do not work.
I am not sure what Fn + Fn5 tapping mean, I am not sure what internal Lcd means, but I appreciate the advice :) 
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 29, 2012 10:42:01 PM

on your keyboard there should be a key with the "FN" letters, also on your keyboard you should have what looks like a picture of a monitor, this is normally the "f5" or "f4" key. While holding down the "FN" key, the press either the f4 or f5 (the one with the monitor symbol) it will cycle through picture mode. Basically it will go from laptop only display, to laptop and external display at the same time (like if you had a external monitor attached) to only external monitor ( your laptop screen will go black). Basically it a three way toggle for your display.
m
l
December 10, 2012 9:19:03 AM

Thank you, I tried it, but it does not do anything at all. You are correct there does appear to be a monitor icon -fw actually looks like it has a laptop picture and then another window icon next to it ..wonder if that could be it...
m
l
!