Intel's socket 775 & other new tech

Iron_Chef

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
So After reading here these (Intel's socket 775 and other new techs like DDR2, BTX, PCI Exp) might start showing up as early as this summer However I know it will then take some time before prices come down a little and prices level too.

So whats the best guess for Intel 775, it's MoBos and these other new techs to become - More cost efective and main stream
6 months after release ? a Year?

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I'd wait 3 or 4 years if I where you, for socket 1148 to hit the shelves, with quad cored Yonahs on 45nm as well as DDR3, USB3.0, and motherboards with at least 16 SATA3 channels and 12.1 surround sound on the CTX form factor. Anything else will be so outdated so soon... and by then you'll also be able to pick up a nVidia quad cored 8800 Ultra4, plug in 4 of those cards to get 16 GPU's, otherwise you won't be able to play the latest games like Duke Nukem Forever at 200x1500 on 4 LCDs. Make sure you get a 2KW PSU though.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I think that it would take a platform around 6 months to mature and establish itself. A year, and it will have become mainstream (if it's any good, that is)...

...P4Man does, however, make a point: there's always newer tech waiting to be unleashed, and there will always be something that much better within a year... Like, right now, we're waiting for P4s @ ~3.6Ghz and LGA775 with dual DDR2-533 with new chipsets; well, this time next year, we'll probably be waiting for P4s @ 4.2Ghz (Tejas-based or whatever) and dual DDR2-667 or DDR2-800. Heck, we waited last year for Canterwood: dual DDR400 and 800Mhz FSB with a 3Ghz P4...

It's always the same story...... Buy something that makes you happy and don't worry. Buy what you need; if you don't really need anything, then don't worry, be happy. :smile: Everything else is just senseless hype.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem I see here is that Intel processors will likely be a poor value for the rest of the year, as compared to the A64. Add to that, 775 will likely have problems with weak pins on the motherboard, which could make upgrading a CPU risky, and that PCI Express will still be "new" by the end of the year, and that BTX will force you to buy a new case, and I'd say that unless your current system is good for you until sometime next year, I'd just get an A64 with nForce3 250 chipset board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TechMan

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
And don't forget the next big thing in microprocessor - dual cores. For AMD 2005, for Intel about a year later. Safe guess, dual core desktop processors 3 years from now. That is, if we believe those claims and announcements.

I agree with P4Man, waiting will take forever. There are always promising technologies around the corner. You have the money and you need to upgrade, buy what's available. Upgrade path is less of a consideration now than it was years back.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I think AMD is planning on going dual core on servers/workstations first (that is, we're going to see a dual core Opteron before we see a dual core A64). So the first dual core solutions will be very-high end only, and It won't be AMD-only. Intel itself is prepping the Montecito - a gargantuan processor with over a billion transistors - that will be out in 2005 (24MB cache, BTW). Within 2005, the Itanium family will get a 667Mhz FSB, and Montecito will probably be out by 2H 2005 with 667Mhz FSB; if well executed, this processor could throw some light at the Itaniums... which are currently a complete PR failure. After all, they need to polish it quickly... 'cause right now, its image stinks, and there's little short-term hope of real improvement.

And there will also be another dual-core processor from Intel in 2005: the dual-P-M-cored Jonah. Quite interesting features, and it will probably be a slim, efficient dual-core processor as opposed to the heavy-duty Montecito.

So your guess is safe indeed. Dual core desktops will only truly materialize (at the high-end desktops) in 2 years from now at earliest, and will only truly become mainstream later down the road. Bear in mind that <b>software must also be multithreaded</b> to take advantage of this (so those programmers that complained about HT will <i>really</i> have to change their minds)... This will make the transition more difficult. Dual core is not necessarily new anyway; the Power4 is already a multicore processor (with like 11cm by 11cm die - yes, centimeters!)...

But anyway, the whole concept of multicore is quite interesting. Dual-core is something that we will be seeing next year in more detail anyway.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Iron_Chef

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
Well here is the reason I ask ...
Being in the IT consulting game I try to keep a system rotation of about 2 years and right now I am at the 2.5 years on this one also I am losing faith in a few parts in it so I need to upgrade (also I game a little and want to run some DX9 games) . its not trash but its real tired
Currently I have a P4a (1.9Ghz 256k 400fsb)850chipset 512RDRAM Gforce4 4x APG

So I was ready to upgrade to 3GhzE 875set, ATI 9600 or 9800, 1GB RAM, Raid 0 ATA serial, and so on. (I know everyone loves the 64 chips but I am partial to Intel also with what I do I really like the HT technology).

Also being able to do this @ only about a $1000 looks pretty nice to me ( as I have all ready upgraded my optical drives)

But I always like to burn a hole in things but doing my homework and tring to find the best bang for the dollar.

So anyway I think that I will go a head and upgrade now so that in 2 Years all these new "real" advancements will be well into the mainstream and hopefully into there 2nd generation. Thoughts?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Oh, and BTW, speaking of multicore, Intel is also projecting the launch of "Tukwila", formerly known as "Tanglewood", for 2006 or maybe 2007... This is a heavily-multicored beast with at the very least 4/8 processors; some sources reported it might contain up to 16 individual cores. (which seems a little crazed to me; believe what you may)... It does make you feel a little different about Itanium and makes you go "huh?" and scratch your head, anyway. :cool:

For those of you who want to <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030901122232.html" target="_new">read on the subject</A>. Now waiting for a 16-core CPU in 2006/2007 is exactly what P4Man depicted...

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 04/30/04 02:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Mostly agreed, but I would not be surprised to see a dual core Athlon FX "destkop" chip next year. A dual cored opteron/AFX on 90nm will not be bigger than today's A64, so it should be more than economically feasable to produce such chips for ~$800. It would also be a nice way to segmentate A64 from FX. And if anything, since dual core opteron is "plug and play", you could upgrade a current AFX board (which is an opteron board anyway) with a dual core opteron.

I'm sure intel could do something similar with a "P5EE" once they roll out their Dothan derived desktop chips. But then of course, neither AFX or P4/5EE can be considered mainstream.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
It's possible, but none of those chips can truly be considered... (not for me, anyway; I don't have that kind of money... :frown: ...

I just meant that Hector Ruiz was talking about Opterons, not A64... It is possible that FX will go dual core by 2005, in optimistic projections, you're right.

BTW, I wonder if Intel will shape Nocona to be a P4EE-equivalent <i>with</i> 64-bit extensions enabled? Before the mainstream 64-bit processors, prescott-based? Would be an interesting twist...